Cats and Dogs

bobbyc
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Cats and Dogs refer to the portfolio of labels a distiller have to sell whiskey under and are non-premium and usually have no dedicated advertising for them. Often credit for introducing this term here is given me, and I appreciate that, however I'm finally going to reveal my source.

Drum Roll Please!

" Brown-Forman had always been a premium whisky producer, but now its sales list was loaded with brands the salesmen openly referred to as " Cats and Dogs"."

P.69 Nothing Better In The Market

I still thnk there's a reference in Bluegrass Belles and Bourbon. If I find that I will update here.

lol.gif

Hey, it does not matter. You are the one who introduced the term, "cat and dogs" to us grin.gif

I officailly, give you the trademark to it...As soon as BP takes care of it legal aspects, grin.gifgrin.gif it'll be yours grin.gifgrin.gif

grin.gifgrin.gif Ohhhhhhhhhh Yeahhhhhhhhh grin.gifgrin.gif

Good book that! Mike Veach knows there are some things in Krolls' book that are wrong, maybe we can get him to pick a few more obvious things and post them . Nevertheless I feel it is the most entertaining of any bourbon book I have read. toast.gif

The term 'cats and dogs' to describe minor brands has been used almost universally in the spirits industry for as long as I can remember which, admittedly after so much bourbon, isn't very long.

Okay, maybe not universal, but I came up in marketing with Brown-Forman, Jim Beam, Schenley and other companies, and worked with people from Barton and some Chicago distributors, and I have heard it used at all of those places for probably 20 years. I sure heard it at Jim Beam in 1987 when they bought a truckload of cats and dogs in the National acquisition.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.