Jump to content
FasterHorses

Rumors

Recommended Posts

FasterHorses

Another site stated among others that there are rumors that OGD 114 will be discontinued and that ECBP will lose its age statement in 2018. Any truth to these?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
flahute

These rumors have been around for a while now. OGD114 was on the chopping block a while back but they reversed course and saved it.

Who know? Both could happen, but nobody has said for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mako254

Listened to a podcast that had Denny Potter on as a guest. My take away was the decision to discontinue EC12 was to prevent Elijah Craig from turning into a ghost like weller has. By dropping the AS, HH can keep the 12 year AS BP and bring back the 18 and 20 plus year stuff. 

 

No idea about OGD 114. If that is true, I'll need a second bunker. The cabinet is about at 1 bottle in, one bottle out status. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GaryT

As Steve pointed out, the OGD 114 rumor has been around for a while.  If it is still selling at the new price point (in Atlanta it's about 30-40% higher than it was 2 yrs ago), I can't see why they would.  On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped the AS on the BP.  I don't think that would hurt those sales one bit, and there is some damn tasty EC right from the barrel in the 10-12 yr range (at a private selection pick in April, a couple that were just shy of 11 yrs were awesome!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink

I wouldn't mind if ECBP went away from 12 yr age statement as long as it kept an age statement. I like the store picks of EC better than EC12 so while I would imagine they might save some good barrels for ECBP I would imagine there could also be a spectacular EC 9 yr BP.  Since they moved the age statement to the side, I would imagine it would be easier to vary it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CardsandBourbon

I've seen more OGD 114 in the past few weeks so I would be surprised if it was being discontinued.  The AS on the EC I could see going away so they can get more on the shelf, even at barrel proof.  As long as it tastes good losing the AS wouldn't kill me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mako254
3 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I wouldn't mind if ECBP went away from 12 yr age statement as long as it kept an age statement. I like the store picks of EC better than EC12 so while I would imagine they might save some good barrels for ECBP I would imagine there could also be a spectacular EC 9 yr BP.  Since they moved the age statement to the side, I would imagine it would be easier to vary it.  

 

The private barrel of EC that beast master did was very very good. It was 9 years I think. I still stash old EC12s when I find them (bought 2 today!) but I'll take a strong private barrel that is less than 12 over standard 12. It's all about the juice, not the number (so long as there is a number). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Black Tot

Let's make HH a deal. 

 

They can take the age statement off of ECBP, if they'll also open it up for barrel picking.

 

Fair, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spade
3 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Let's make HH a deal. 

 

They can take the age statement off of ECBP, if they'll also open it up for barrel picking.

 

Fair, right?

 

Sounds good to me. I think those would fly off the shelves. I think ideally something like Four Roses store picks would be cool — variable ages but the age listed on the bottle. I’d definitely trade that for seeing the current version of ECBP a few times a year.

Edited by Spade
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jackinbox

I would imagine the OGD 114 rumor probably stems from the article earlier this year from Chuck Cowdery.  He obviously knows a lot of people at Beam and in the article from February he mentions that they would re-evaluate the fate of 114 in another year (article was from this February).

 

http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2017/02/dont-cry-for-old-grand-dad-114.html

 

I'm wondering if they are thinking they can discontinue it and bring out Basil Hayden Barrel Proof at $50-60/bottle.  Fred Noe loves to talk about the BH brand in interviews.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Black Tot

Basilsmall.jpg.77b075d968e07fa1823baad783c25533.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JoeTerp
18 hours ago, Jackinbox said:

I would imagine the OGD 114 rumor probably stems from the article earlier this year from Chuck Cowdery.  He obviously knows a lot of people at Beam and in the article from February he mentions that they would re-evaluate the fate of 114 in another year (article was from this February).

 

http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2017/02/dont-cry-for-old-grand-dad-114.html

 

I'm wondering if they are thinking they can discontinue it and bring out Basil Hayden Barrel Proof at $50-60/bottle.  Fred Noe loves to talk about the BH brand in interviews.  

Sadly I think a barrel proof BH would be a lot higher.  The regular BH goes for around $45 here I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DeltaAlphaVictorEasy

Here's one to file under : NOOOOOOO!

 

Well, hopefully it isn't true- I was phoning in an order from a shop out in SF, talking about their Four Roses Private Selection and he said that next year all 4R picks (not just theirs), regardless of recipe, will be bottled only at 100 proof, not barrel proof. Say it ain't so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mako254
56 minutes ago, DeltaAlphaVictorEasy said:

Here's one to file under : NOOOOOOO!

 

Well, hopefully it isn't true- I was phoning in an order from a shop out in SF, talking about their Four Roses Private Selection and he said that next year all 4R picks (not just theirs), regardless of recipe, will be bottled only at 100 proof, not barrel proof. Say it ain't so.

 

This cant happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kepler
14 hours ago, DeltaAlphaVictorEasy said:

Here's one to file under : NOOOOOOO!

 

Well, hopefully it isn't true- I was phoning in an order from a shop out in SF, talking about their Four Roses Private Selection and he said that next year all 4R picks (not just theirs), regardless of recipe, will be bottled only at 100 proof, not barrel proof. Say it ain't so.

 

13 hours ago, Mako254 said:

 

This cant happen. 

 

I would rather they fix the proof of their Private Select at 100 proof than continue to lower the age statements of said Private Selects, if forced to choose.

 

I recently sampled a 100 proof PS and it was superb.  Previously all of mine were barrel proof.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Black Tot

I head from a liquor store bourbon section manager that they were going to repeal the Bottled In Bond Act, and replace the 3 Tier system with an 8 Tier system. 

 

I also heard Willett was closing the distillery, selling all assets and donating the proceeds to the modern day temperance movement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lcpfratn

Several local liquor stores have also told me that they've been told they could only get 100 proof private selections from Four Roses. I have a feeling this may be a temporary thing because everyone that told me this has received or will be receiving OBSV 100 proof private selections like the standard Four Roses Single Barrel. I suspect that Four Roses has excess of that recipe right now and they are pushing that to reduce their inventory. Having said that, I've also seen some larger stores that buy a lot of Four a Roses products get cask strength private selections this summer.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JoeTerp

I think the larger stores with longstanding relationships will be fine.  I'd imagine the big chains that routinely have all 10 recipes will still get some Private Selections.  My guess is that new demand will go towards the OBSV (although I'm not sure why they would care if you wanted it at Cask Strength or 100 proof since you need to purchase the whole barrel).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fishnbowljoe

There's been some rumors and speculation about a couple of things regarding BT lately. ER10 is going away. ER10 is a mix of mash bills. Weller SR is only 4 years old. I decided to reach out to one of my contacts at BT to see if I could dispel some of these rumors. So here it is, straight for the horses mouth.

 

Hi Joe,

 

Great to hear from you! We would be happy to help clear up any confusion by way of the following bullet points:

 

·       Buffalo Trace Distillery has no plans to discontinue Eagle Rare.

·       Our mashbills have been the same for years, and we have no plans to change those.

·       Buffalo Trace Distillery will not compromise taste or quality, so rather than empty barrels prematurely, the Distillery will continue to wait for barrels to mature and allocate bourbon when it’s ready, while increasing production for the future.

·       Buffalo Trace Distillery won’t lower its quality standards or alcohol by volume (ABV) just to sell more whiskey.

 

There ya' go folks. To coin an old phrase, "No applause, just throw money." :lol:

 

Cheers! Joe

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bourbon Fanatic
16 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

There's been some rumors and speculation about a couple of things regarding BT lately. ER10 is going away. ER10 is a mix of mash bills. Weller SR is only 4 years old. I decided to reach out to one of my contacts at BT to see if I could dispel some of these rumors. So here it is, straight for the horses mouth.

 

Hi Joe,

 

Great to hear from you! We would be happy to help clear up any confusion by way of the following bullet points:

 

·       Buffalo Trace Distillery has no plans to discontinue Eagle Rare.

·       Our mashbills have been the same for years, and we have no plans to change those.

·       Buffalo Trace Distillery will not compromise taste or quality, so rather than empty barrels prematurely, the Distillery will continue to wait for barrels to mature and allocate bourbon when it’s ready, while increasing production for the future.

·       Buffalo Trace Distillery won’t lower its quality standards or alcohol by volume (ABV) just to sell more whiskey.

 

There ya' go folks. To coin an old phrase, "No applause, just throw money." :lol:

 

Cheers! Joe

 

Yes!! This is great news! 

 

Thanks for looking into this, Joe!

 

Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BigRich

Not to sound like a dick but all I got from that concerning your rumors Joe is that ER is not going away. Dropping the 10 year, mixing the mashbills or having WSR be made of pretty young barrels could all be true and not be in conflict with what they said.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bob_Loblaw
18 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

There's been some rumors and speculation about a couple of things regarding BT lately. ER10 is going away. ER10 is a mix of mash bills. Weller SR is only 4 years old. I decided to reach out to one of my contacts at BT to see if I could dispel some of these rumors. So here it is, straight for the horses mouth.

 

Hi Joe,

 

Great to hear from you! We would be happy to help clear up any confusion by way of the following bullet points:

 

·       Buffalo Trace Distillery has no plans to discontinue Eagle Rare.

·       Our mashbills have been the same for years, and we have no plans to change those.

·       Buffalo Trace Distillery will not compromise taste or quality, so rather than empty barrels prematurely, the Distillery will continue to wait for barrels to mature and allocate bourbon when it’s ready, while increasing production for the future.

·       Buffalo Trace Distillery won’t lower its quality standards or alcohol by volume (ABV) just to sell more whiskey.

 

There ya' go folks. To coin an old phrase, "No applause, just throw money." :lol:

 

Cheers! Joe

 

Thanks for the info! Not trying to be difficult, but I do note that the response regarding ER does not necessarily confirm that ER will be keeping its 10 year age statement.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bourbon Fanatic
4 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Thanks for the info! Not trying to be difficult, but I do note that the response regarding ER does not necessarily confirm that ER will be keeping its 10 year age statement.  

I see what you're saying, but the way I read bullet points 2&3, I think they cover the mashbill not changing (keeping 10 year) and they talk about not emptying barrels prematurely (can be subjective as "premature" could be a moving target - they might considering "mature" as less than 10 years).

 

Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fishnbowljoe
2 hours ago, BigRich said:

Not to sound like a dick but all I got from that concerning your rumors Joe is that ER is not going away. Dropping the 10 year, mixing the mashbills or having WSR be made of pretty young barrels could all be true and not be in conflict with what they said.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

 

2 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Thanks for the info! Not trying to be difficult, but I do note that the response regarding ER does not necessarily confirm that ER will be keeping its 10 year age statement.  

Somehow I just knew this was going to happen.  A simple thank you would have sufficed. :angry: I post some great information, and the first two posts afterward show skepticism and doubt, rather than acceptance.

 

Sometimes I can't help but get frustrated with some of the things that go on here. I think I went a little above and beyond to get some honest information. Still, some of you just can't seem to accept things for what they are, instead of what you think or assume them to be. I didn't ask about the age statement concerning ER 10 because that hasn't been mentioned here recently. Besides, it's been covered here before. Maybe not to everyone's satisfaction, but it's been discussed. USE THE FREAKING SEARCH FUNCTIION PEOPLE!!!

 

·       Our mashbills have been the same for years, and we have no plans to change those.   I thick that's pretty much self explanatory. To me, no plans to change them means they haven't or aren't changing them. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that if they used two different mash bills, they might not be able to be label it as a KSBW. :unsure:

 

As far as the age of Weller SR, I think point #3 says it all. It's right there if you read between the lines. Again, accept this for what it is, and not what you think or imagine it might be, or  what you might want it to be. You want specific facts?  Here's the fact sheet from some Weller SR that I purchased a while back. FWIW, I was asked not to share this information, but for you all, I'll put my ass on the line. <_<

 

Barrel

 

Date Filled

12/28/10

Entry Gallons

53

Entry Proof

125

Warehouse

 

Floor

 

Rick

 

Date Selected

 

Date Bottled

 

Age

6 years 8 months

Char Level

4

Stave Seasoning

6 months

Recipe

Wheat

Barrel Type

American Oak

Cooperage

Independence Stave

 

 

It's only 4 months shy of the old 7 year age stated Weller SR. :o Hmmmmmm, imagine that. Satisfied now?  

 

Joe

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FasterHorses

Joe thank you. Please don't put your ass on the line.. edit while you can. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×