BTAC Announcement

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Got an email this morning that the BTAC was being released tomorrow morning.  Awesome, great, whoopee . . . but, none of it at my local store.  Well that sucks. :angry: Oh well, I probably wouldn't have gotten a bottle anyway.

Anyone know where I can place case orders?   :lol:

Yes but first you need to whip out your flux capacitor and set your time machine to 2006.
  • I like it 1

10 minutes ago, Kane said:

Let the hunt begin.

This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Why does it feel like a chore?

Because it is.  There's a growing sentiment  that it's just too much hassle to hunt down a bottle, especially for those who were buying this stuff off the shelf not too long ago.  I'll take whatever is offered to me by my local manager, but I gave up hunting at other stores a couple years ago

I'm no competition this year, as I've spent the past month plucking good value semi-limited items out of KY, FL, TN, GA, and the Carolina's. 

Good luck to all, but my quota is already filled.

• I like it 2

Well, now that I know "they" are out there, I can go to the one local store where I know "they" will appear behind the counter on the top shelf (next to the Johnny Walker Blue) at about double MSRP (just like the JW Blue).  Then, I'll check their sale prices on mundane stuff and figure out what to take home.  Problem is, if they appear this year at MSRP, I may overspend and take it ALL home - top shelf and sale bin both.

In my dreams, of course.B)  

28 minutes ago, Paddy said:

I'm no competition this year, as I've spent the past month plucking good value semi-limited items out of KY, FL, TN, GA, and the Carolina's. 

Good luck to all, but my quota is already filled.

Paddy, sounds like you've been a man on a mission. Would you be kind enough to entertain us with some stories and finds? Good Hunting to all.

4 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Got an email this morning that the BTAC was being released tomorrow morning.  Awesome, great, whoopee . . . but, none of it at my local store.  Well that sucks. :angry: Oh well, I probably wouldn't have gotten a bottle anyway.

Cards, are you really a bourbon guy?

Lately you seem more inclined to Whine and cheese... :)

• I like it 1

24 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

Cards, are you really a bourbon guy?

Lately you seem more inclined to Whine and cheese... :)

Hardy, Har, Har!  Maybe I'll get so addicted to Whine and Cheese that I'll forget to mention some of those fabulous PS of KC 120.  Ya think??;)

Just now, CardsandBourbon said:

Hardy, Har, Har!  Maybe I'll get so addicted to Whine and Cheese that I'll forget to mention some of those fabulous PS of KC 120.  Ya think??;)

Haha. Threats will get you everywhere.

1 hour ago, FacePlant said:

Paddy, sounds like you've been a man on a mission. Would you be kind enough to entertain us with some stories and finds? Good Hunting to all.

It's mostly nothing special, as many here don't have to search at all for what I like.  I travel for work, as do most of my co-workers.  They know what I'm looking for, and usually just text a photo showing me a bottle on the shelf (with the price and a question mark for me to say yea or nay).  We try to look out for one another, so I do the same for them. 

Of all things, one of the best ( and unexpected) most recent find was handles of WSR for $27.99 and 750's at $14.99.  The store (in rural GA) had about 16-18 of the 750's on the shelf, and the manager tried to get me to buy all of them.  I told her that she should keep some for her regulars.  What I did end up bringing home went mostly to my friends (that were running a bit low on their inventory).  Who would have ever thought we'd  be exited to find WSR?  But at that price, with no limit, it's a great value in todays market for those who enjoy its virtues. 

Just this week, a co-worker also found a honey hole of Stagg Jr. for $54.99 in middle-TN (no limit).  That's $10-15 cheaper than I normally see it going for around here.  ECBP is another easy find (except in Ky of course), just about anywhere you go in the southern region of the country.  Like everything, the problem is not finding it, but finding it at an acceptable price.  For me, I'm a buyer at up to $69.99, and some places will let it go for as little as $54.99, so it averages out to an acceptable price (for me).  Beyond that, I just keep moving on down the road. 

On the sad front, I've had to pass on W12 four times since July.  I've got a couple of stores in FL that will call me when it's in, and they move it at a fair price (high $20's).  Problem is, I have 24 hours to pick it up in person (ID required).  Due to that, I've only been able to punch my ticket on it twice this year.  But as far as their practice goes, I admire the way they distribute it and go out of their way to spread the wealth to as many of their customers as possible. 

• I like it 2

A local retailer in Indy had a lottery today on Van Winkles, BTAC, Kentucky Owl and a few other hard to find bourbons and ryes.  Another retailer has posted pictures of the bottles they have received on Facebook.  Personally, not interested in the Van Winkles, but I am interested in BTAC.  A friend scored a Kentucky Owl at the lottery.  I would have passed.

9 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

A local retailer in Indy had a lottery today on Van Winkles, BTAC, Kentucky Owl and a few other hard to find bourbons and ryes.  Another retailer has posted pictures of the bottles they have received on Facebook.  Personally, not interested in the Van Winkles, but I am interested in BTAC.  A friend scored a Kentucky Owl at the lottery.  I would have passed.

Coming from an ABC state with its own online lottery, could someone splain to me how a private retailer holds their lottery?  Thanks.

Coming from an ABC state with its own online lottery, could someone splain to me how a private retailer holds their lottery?  Thanks.

There are probably as many different ways as there are private liquor stores. However, most of them don't do lotteries in my area. The methods around here range from jacked up prices on the shelf to the most common, which is selling the LE stuff to your best regular customers. One store that I'm aware of holds ALL of their allocated stuff until the end of November and then has a designated day where they put it all on sale...first come, first served with one bottle limit and then get back in line. People start lining up the day before and camp over night in the parking lot. It's a ridiculous concept that I don't participate in, and because of this I don't spend much money in that shop anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

There are probably as many different ways as there are private liquor stores. However, most of them don't do lotteries in my area. The methods around here range from jacked up prices on the shelf to the most common, which is selling the LE stuff to your best regular customers. One store that I'm aware of holds ALL of their allocated stuff until the end of November and then has a designated day where they put it all on sale...first come, first served with one bottle limit and then get back in line. People start lining up the day before and camp over night in the parking lot. It's a ridiculous concept that I don't participate in, and because of this I don't spend much money in that shop anymore.

Thanks but I've read from others that there are tickets involved in these lotteries.  Do they charge an entry fee which gets you a ticket? Can you buy multiples?  How much do they charge for a ticket? How many people would you estimate participate?

One place here does it this way: Pay $10.00 to get in. They usually  have some beer, spirits, cheese and crackers and such available for tasting and snacking. Pay another $10.00 for 10 tickets. Each item in the raffle has a box to place tickets in. Place your ticket in the box of the item of your choice, and hope for the best. So, you pay $20.00 for a chance at a bottle. If by chance you win a bottle, you still have to buy it. Normally at a slightly Inflated price too. Not secondary market pricing, but usually at a good bit over suggested retail. 

Cheers! Joe

10 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

One place here does it this way: Pay $10.00 to get in. They usually  have some beer, spirits, cheese and crackers and such available for tasting and snacking. Pay another $10.00 for 10 tickets. Each item in the raffle has a box to place tickets in. Place your ticket in the box of the item of your choice, and hope for the best. So, you pay $20.00 for a chance at a bottle. If by chance you win a bottle, you still have to buy it. Normally at a slightly Inflated price too. Not secondary market pricing, but usually at a good bit over suggested retail. 

Cheers! Joe

Thanks for clearing that up for me. So could someone put all 10 of their tickets in one box or would that be against the rules? And it sounds like this would get a fair number of participants?

1 minute ago, DCFan said:

Thanks for clearing that up for me. So could someone put all 10 of their tickets in one box or would that be against the rules? And it sounds like this would get a fair number of participants?

Yes, you could use all 10 tickets for one item if you so choose. 

Cheers! Joe

one of the stores near me has a lottery.  you must show up early on the date of the lottery to "sign in" then later that night if your name is called you have 1 choice of your choosing at any of the remaining bottles.  said bottle will have higher than retail price but not secondary pricing.  more people than bottles.

The local TWs had a lottery/raffle in June of all the allocated stuff they held back throughout the year. They gave out line tickets to the first 200 people (I think they only gave away 180 or so). Then they drew numbers from the line tickets and you got to go in one at a time and purchase from whatever was left. I was #8 drawn and got a WLW. My daughter was #22 And got a GTS. People were selecting ORVW over the BTAC bottles. They handled the drawing and system very well I thought. It didn't matter if you were first in line or last..you had the same chance of getting your number drawn.  They had coffee and donuts for everyone.  I just wish it wasn't in June. The pic below is what I had to select from.

20171015_170602.jpg

9 minutes ago, Clueby said:

The local TWs had a lottery/raffle in June of all the allocated stuff they held back throughout the year. They gave out line tickets to the first 200 people (I think they only gave away 180 or so). Then they drew numbers from the line tickets and you got to go in one at a time and purchase from whatever was left. I was #8 drawn and got a WLW. My daughter was #22 And got a GTS. People were selecting ORVW over the BTAC bottles. They handled the drawing and system very well I thought. It didn't matter if you were first in line or last..you had the same chance of getting your number drawn.  They had coffee and donuts for everyone.  I just wish it wasn't in June. The pic below is what I had to select from.

20171015_170602.jpg

Very nice! Did they charge a premium or pretty much MSRP and how much before the store opened did you have to show up?

I saw a message recently that TW here is only offering up the limiteds to Grand Reserve members, so I'm out. A couple of years ago, BevMo held a lottery wherein you just had to show up, get a ticket, and wait around until drawing time. At least 100 people showed up at the location I visited for the chance at 15-20 bottles. I didn't get anything, but the experience was pretty relaxed and everyone cheered for those that got picked.

• I like it 1

I qualified for Grand Reserve this year but it freaks me out the way every TW location seems to do things differently. There seems to be no way to know what to expect.

So far I have heard exactly NUTHIN' from them.

Edited by The Black Tot

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.