Journeyman

StraightorRocks
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I wanted to reach and see if anyone has had anything from Journeyman in Michigan?  We fell in love with the distillery and their spirits.  Also curious as to what everyone thinks of the other comparisons from the Michigan, Indiana, and Illinois region.  I am also a fan of Few out of Chicago and a couple other craft distillers in the region.  I do recognize that these are more whiskey distillers and cannot be considered true bourbon distillers but still interested in everyones thoughts.  

Edited by StraightorRocks

I've had the Featherbone bourbon made by Journeyman. Didn't like it. Not surprisingly it tasted really young and needed a lot more time in the barrel. I also tried FEW's bourbon, and liked it enough to buy a bottle I saw on sale. The FEW bourbon had a bit more character, and despite it also tasting young, it didn't have an overwhelming "craft" type flavor that I typically avoid.

Some other Michigan bourbons to look out for are Traverse City (they have their small batch, port finish, and barrel proof), Valentine Distillery, and Two James. The Traverse City stuff is pretty good, but it's source for now (or at least what I have tried is sourced). I think some of their own distillate is available now too. I like to try to support the little guy as much as I can, but I won't buy crap just because it's local, so you sometimes have to be careful. Always good to try stuff before if possible. That saved me from buying the Journeyman Featherbone. They may have other stuff like the rye or wheat whiskey that are good, but I haven't had those.

If you are in the Chicago area there are plenty of places where you could try these and many others (Longman and Eagle, Delilah's, etc).

Edited by silverc

• 1 month later...

I’ve had quite a few releases from Journeyman, including both variations of their rye, which is my favorite. They changed it up from ravenswood to last feather a few years back. I recently picked up their wine barrel aged bourbon which I’m looking to open over the holidays.

As for the best in Michigan, I believe Traverse City Whiskey is the best. Their tasting room is spot on and they make a great product. New Holland, Two James and Valentine are all solid as stated earlier. Here is all that I have from Michigan, hope that helps.

973F9FB2-FF06-4701-8DC6-C5F7736231BC.jpeg

I have a bottle of Journeyman Silver Cross Four Grain that is a special barrel proof (~120) bottling. I had signed up for a whiskey subscription to get a couple special bottles and forgot to cancel it before this arrived.

It's both over-oaked and underaged, if that makes sense. Raw grains, plus the nasty sour oak that you get when leaving a a vatting or batched cocktail in a mini oak barrel for too long. Not surprising on either front, as this is what, 6 months in 5 gallon barrels or so? Just goes to show there is no substitute for real age in a full sized barrel. Saying that, as far as craft whiskey goes it's fairly decent, just not very good relative to whiskey from the larger producers.

• 3 months later...

There are usually bottles of whiskey floating around my band practices that are emptied pretty quickly (it's a sextet). Our lead guitarist brought a Journeyman Featherbone bourbon back from a trip to Michigan (I've also seen in stores locally), and it sat around for months after we opened it. I didn't like it--too young and with some syrupy-sweet off-tastes.  I've yet to find a "craft" bourbon worth its price (usually somewhat premium).  I favor the products from established distilleries.

A couple of years ago I toured a local craft distillery, and the guide's answers to two of my questions set my eyes rolling: I asked where it got its yeast, and was told "online"; and when I asked about the source of its water,  the answer was "from the tap--but we filter it." I also filter my Chicago tap water (with a Brita), but it still never touches my bourbon (either as a splash or a cube).

7 hours ago, Chuckles said:

A couple of years ago I toured a local craft distillery, and the guide's answers to two of my questions set my eyes rolling: I asked where it got its yeast, and was told "online"; and when I asked about the source of its water,  the answer was "from the tap--but we filter it." I also filter my Chicago tap water (with a Brita), but it still never touches my bourbon (either as a splash or a cube).

Heehee!  LMAO!  The yeast response of "online" is priceless, and the tap water almost as so, when considering all of the gussied up whiskey lore/fables you hear on most distillery tours.  I appreciate the guides candor, but perhaps maybe a pinch of marketing polish is in order there.  :DHmmm, how about "a proprietarily propagated Amazonian Yeast Strain"?  Somebody want to take a shot on the water?    :lol:

7 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Heehee!  LMAO!  The yeast response of "online" is priceless, and the tap water almost as so, when considering all of the gussied up whiskey lore/fables you hear on most distillery tours.  I appreciate the guides candor, but perhaps maybe a pinch of marketing polish is in order there.  :DHmmm, how about "a proprietarily propagated Amazonian Yeast Strain"?  Somebody want to take a shot on the water?    :lol:

As long as they don't say, "Fresh from the Chicago River," I'd drink it, provided it is bottled at barrel proof.:wacko:

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

As long as they don't say, "Fresh from the Chicago River," I'd drink it, provided it is bottled at barrel proof.:wacko:

But, what if it we were to say it’s...”a reverse flow hydrologic purification of billion year old pristine arctic glacial waters”?  

...And, only green 1 day a year...

On 3/23/2018 at 3:13 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

On 3/23/2018 at 4:34 PM, smokinjoe said:

But, what if it we were to say it’s...”a reverse flow hydrologic purification of billion year old pristine arctic glacial waters”?  

...And, only green 1 day a year...

And even after filtration, might still possibly be able to set off a metal detector. Lot’s of lead in the waters up here in northern Illinois. :mellow:

Biba! Joe

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.