Old Charter 10 year, found

Niner Outlaw
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

One day last week, I stopped at my favorite local texmex restaurant to pick up a to-go order. They were way behind, so I sat the bar and watched some football. As often as I've been to the restaurant, I have never been to their bar area. I noticed a 1 Liter bottle of Old Charter 10 year on their liquor shelf. I ordered a glass of it for a measly $6.  The color is significantly darker than the OC NAS and the 8yr and the taste was definitely better than both. 

Since OC 10yr has become a dusty and I am unlikely to find any more, I'm going to try and buy the whole bottle from them. The 1 Liter bottle is about 2/3 full. My question to this esteemed board of whisky experts is just how much should I offer for it?  $30-40?

No more than $10.  And, $10 better spent elsewhere, really.

I bought the last 1.5L's of OC10 that I came across a couple of years ago, for about $25 for the handle.  I know that OC10 is a great value, and is considered a dusty, but I would be wary of paying too much for it.  Just bear in mind that for all intents and purposes, OC10 is a poor man's ER10.  That is, you can essentially buy ER10 all day for say $30 a bottle, and I would think that most would agree that ER10 is better than OC10.  So for the novelty, maybe $20 for the 1L bottle would be in the realm, but I would not go much higher than that.  Just my humble opinion.       

Edited by jeffrey r

Niner I say this is your call. You're the one that had a pour from this bottle how did you like it? If your a fan of OC and liked it and found it to your palate better than ER10 or at least an interesting pour seeing if they'd sell it for $30 isn't unreasonable.

I'd at least make a point of getting a pour or two whenever you stop by.

Probably better to drink it down in subsequent visits to this restaurant of yours.

Sometimes it's nice to have a fairly priced pour at a bar. However for OC10 I'm hoping they gave you a generous Texas sized pour.

22 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

I bought the last 1.5L's of OC10 that I came across a couple of years ago, for about $25 for the handle.  I know that OC10 is a great value, and is considered a dusty, but I would be wary of paying too much for it.  Just bear in mind that for all intents and purposes, OC10 is a poor man's ER10.  That is, you can essentially buy ER10 all day for say $30 a bottle, and I would think that most would agree that ER10 is better than OC10.  So for the novelty, maybe $20 for the 1L bottle would be in the realm, but I would not go much higher than that.  Just my humble opinion.       

That depends on the OC you're talking about. Frankfort OC, yes, that's poor man's ER10. Louisville OC is a unique, very high corn (80% from memory) mashbill made at Bernheim. Not poor man's ER10 at all.

Whether one loves it or not is another matter, but it's unique and worth buying when found for a unique flavor.

• I like it 1

I don't know the law in TX but you may not be able to buy a bottle unless you sit there and drink it one serving at a time. Or did I misunderstand the whole concept?

3 hours ago, Flyfish said:

I don't know the law in TX but you may not be able to buy a bottle unless you sit there and drink it one serving at a time. Or did I misunderstand the whole concept?

I am not too sure about liquor, but you can do this with wine at Olive Garden.  Order a bottle and if you dont finish it they will cork it and send it home with you.

I am not too sure about liquor, but you can do this with wine at Olive Garden.  Order a bottle and if you dont finish it they will cork it and send it home with you.

That's a good point you can certainly buy a bottle of wine. I've also now you can go to restaurants and order a bottle of liquor.

On October 17, 2017 at 5:33 PM, Flyfish said:

They can't sell me the bottle. BUT, they could cut me a deal on all the liquid in the bottle and then "throw the bottle away."

On October 16, 2017 at 4:17 PM, Hop said:

For $30 buy it.  Odds are you won't have another chance at it for that price

That's the main reason I was interested in it. As Virtuoso pointed out, it's the uniqueness I'm interested in. 

Ive stopped by a couple of times and gotten good-sized pours of this stuff at fair prices. 

As always, this board is a great resource. Thanks guys.

18 hours ago, Niner Outlaw said:

They can't sell me the bottle. BUT, they could cut me a deal on all the liquid in the bottle and then "throw the bottle away."

OK then. And you might want to watch them pour it, though.  Last night I had a nice pour of Blanton's followed by WT101 that was decanted from plastic into an old Blanton's bottle. (Wow! What a contrast!) The trick is to remember that the real Blanton's is stoppered by the "A" horsey and the WT is in the "T" bottle. I'm sure you won't forget what container the OC10 is in.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.