Help the new guy

Lightfoot
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hi, I just joined the forum and need some help determining the price of some collectibles. I inherited 2 UNopened porcelain collectors series bottles of bourbon/whiskey from my father. One is a 1970 porcelain of Meriwether Lewis designed by Gary Schildt in recognition of the Lewis and Clark expidition, and filled with 6 year old (at the time it was bottled) Kentucky Straight Bourbon size 4/5 quart Collectors # 1632 genuine Royal Crown porcelain. The other is a 1969 Edition 1 of Field Birds, Ringnecked Pheasant, also 4/5 quart filled with 25% Canadian straight whiskey / 75% American straight whiskey. 86 proof, 16 years old at the time of bottling. I put out a few feelers to try to determine their value but everything I’ve found so far is of empty bottles so I don’t know what to ask. Both are unopened and have the original seals. Both are in like new condition. Any help you can provide is appreciated.

20171013_092937.jpg

20171013_093233.jpg

20171013_093724.jpg

20171013_093608.jpg

Forgot to mention I also have the original boxes and documentation that came with them which are also in excellent condition. 

Welcome to the boards Lightfoot.  SB is a great resource for info regarding the contents and history of these bottles, but not the place to determine value.  Just so you know, inquiring about the value of dusty, collectible or flippable bottles is generally discouraged here.  If you want to inquire as to the history of these bottles, there's an existing thread called "Dusty Finds" that may yield more traffic and/or responses.  For those of us that have no info for you will probably just tell you crack them open and have a drink with family members and toast your father 

Edited by jvd99

With a few exceptions, the whiskey that went into those types of decanters was just average at best.  There was a lot of extra whiskey to sell at the time.  This was one way to get people to buy it.  

There is also the possibility of lead contamination.  Some ceramics of that era used a lead based glaze; that leached into the contents.  If you're really interested, you can find a test kit.  The kit may cost more than estimated value of your bottles.

Also, with older bottles like these, the cork seal may have deteriorated.  It may be impossible to tell without opening.

You can enjoy these as novelties or art objects.  Don't expect the whiskey to be good.  These sorts of things turn up at garage sales and second hand stores all the time.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.