What Beer Did You Purchase - Fall 2017

JoeTerp
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Its mostly gone around here the same day. I stood in line for about 15 mins at a TW. We could get 2 regular bottles, 1 variant, and 1 limited from other beers.  I also had one regular bottle held for me on a waiting list that I picked up today. I was surprised that the Knob Creek reserve was available. I thought it was a Chicago only. My most expensive bottle of beer ever!  My other choices were either Northwoods or Barleywine.
Talked to the manager at the other store I picked up my held bottle at. They didn't get any KC Reserve. He said they didn't get many variants at all. He said he didn't know what the big deal about the 11 year Knob Creek barrels was since he claimed all the regular stuff is aged in KC barrels too. I told him that the regular stuff is in younger Heaven Hill barrels and he disputed that..saying it's "always been in Knob Creek barrels. I know because I get their used barrels."  ?

Am I crazy or is the stickee monkey better?

6 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Am I crazy or is the stickee monkey better?

I haven't tried it yet. I missed the Velvet Merkin.

I haven't tried it yet. I missed the Velvet Merkin.

I missed the Merkin as well but think I liked the monkey over bourbon county.

Was out today and decided to stop at one store to say hi to the manager and see how he was after Black Friday. Saw  a bunch of the BCBS's while I was there. 

Sláinte!  Joe

13 hours ago, Clueby said:

Its mostly gone around here the same day. I stood in line for about 15 mins at a TW. We could get 2 regular bottles, 1 variant, and 1 limited from other beers.  I also had one regular bottle held for me on a waiting list that I picked up today. I was surprised that the Knob Creek reserve was available. I thought it was a Chicago only. My most expensive bottle of beer ever!  My other choices were either Northwoods or Barleywine.

Talked to the manager at the other store I picked up my held bottle at. They didn't get any KC Reserve. He said they didn't get many variants at all. He said he didn't know what the big deal about the 11 year Knob Creek barrels was since he claimed all the regular stuff is aged in KC barrels too. I told him that the regular stuff is in younger Heaven Hill barrels and he disputed that..saying it's "always been in Knob Creek barrels. I know because I get their used barrels."  ?

Well it's hard to dispute that, but Goose Island has claimed that the regular is from Heaven Hill barrels.  Even if everything was from Knob Creek barrels they could certainly cherry pick the better barrels for the reserve.

On 11/25/2017 at 11:26 PM, HoustonNit said:

I missed the Merkin as well but think I liked the monkey over bourbon county.

i havent tried my bourbon county yet, but the velvet merkin was the best I have ever had.

37a25be155cc8cae50a248f15b2b3c29.jpg
Found these over the last couple days. One store had a bunch of the 17’s. I grabbed one. 4 hour later regretted not buying a couple more and my brother was nice enough to snag 2 more for me. He shows up with them and they are the 16’s...interesting. Also went grocery shopping today and stopped by the beer isle to see if they had any Founders CBS, looked on the lower shelf, tucked away in the back and found the other 17 BCBS. Glad I was able to find a few... now I feel safe to open one soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2017 at 3:41 PM, JoeTerp said:

picked up some High West Barrel Aged Victory at Sea today.  Looking forward to trying this.

I saw on the "what beer are you drinking" thread that you liked it. 

My friend and I shared a bottle last week.  Unfortunately, neither of us liked it.  For me, the vanilla was too overpowering.  I'll let it age and hope it gets better.  They did a nice job on the label btw.  Love the look and the gold lettering.  Really makes it look special.

I guess I'll carry this thread into 2018. Stumbled upon the last BCBS at a store so I picked up that and a four pack of Backwoods Bastard. 

I guess I'll carry this thread into 2018. Stumbled upon the last BCBS at a store so I picked up that and a four pack of Backwoods Bastard. 

How is the BCBS? I have a couple but haven’t cracked one yet. Too big for one sitting, need to phone a friend. I only ask because the total wine near me had a lot of them for 10.99.

1 minute ago, Golferpimp1 said:

How is the BCBS? I have a couple but haven’t cracked one yet. Too big for one sitting, need to phone a friend. I only ask because the total wine near me had a lot of them for 10.99.

I haven't cracked the one I just picked up but I had one with some family over Christmas. If you like BA beer, it's definitely a good one. This is the first years I've had so I can't compare. If I could find some more I'd probably pick up a couple more. 

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Golferpimp1 said:

Found this on the clearance rack. Should be interesting. 34f20695b01734e625c96258679ca2da.jpg

I haven't tried it yet, but I also picked this one up and am curious as to how it is.  Let us know when you get around to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to a BCBS dinner/tasting tonight. Got to taste the entire 17 lineup. Was not impressed with Northwoods or Barleywine. Enjoyed the Coffee a lot. The Knob Creek was slightly better than the regular BCS but not worth the price difference. Drew numbers for chance to purchase. I got a Coffee and the wife got a regular BCS. They had 6 2015 Rare. Those went for about $55. 

20180201_210628-1612x1209.jpg

Picked 2 Stouts up today. Don’t know anything about them, but they should be good. I do know  that one was aged in an Evan Williams barrel and the other in a Willett DCE33827-FA00-4AE6-B478-BC2CDCF604AB.thumb.jpeg.ff73eec56f7af652399b0b0436923ce8.jpegbarrel 

Edited by LCWoody

14 hours ago, LCWoody said:

Picked 2 Stouts up today. Don’t know anything about them, but they should be good. I do know  that one was aged in an Evan Williams barrel and the other in a Willett DCE33827-FA00-4AE6-B478-BC2CDCF604AB.thumb.jpeg.ff73eec56f7af652399b0b0436923ce8.jpegbarrel 

Now if you can drink them blind and consistently tell which one came from which barrel I will be impressed! At least you have a 50/50 chance... :lol:

Unless the barrels formally held markedly different spirits, I doubt I could tell them apart. Especially not two typical bourbon barrels.

13 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Now if you can drink them blind and consistently tell which one came from which barrel I will be impressed! At least you have a 50/50 chance... :lol:

Unless the barrels formally held markedly different spirits, I doubt I could tell them apart. Especially not two typical bourbon barrels.

Yea, I don't think I will be able to tell them apart. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.