Knob Creek 9year vs NAS...Much difference?

Darin
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I found two 9years on the shelf today, decided to pick one up because I read that they took the 9year age statement off.

Has anyone tried both, if the quality is not the same...the price should be lower.

I paid $44 here in canada for a bottle,,,and it was on sale... 

Not the best bargain for bourbon, but I wanted to make sure I had one of the 9years in my place..

• I like it 1

I find that it tastes different, not bad, but definitely not exactly the same, that being said if you had a 5 year old bottle and a current bottle they might not be exactly the same either.  Someone will likely chime in that the new stuff is terrible but I find it to still be my go to at bars that have limited selection. 

14 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Someone will likely chime in that the new stuff is terrible

Let me get my torch and pitchfork ready...

I drink this a lot, and didn't notice a drop in quality tied to the loss of its age statement.

14 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I find that it tastes different, not bad, but definitely not exactly the same, that being said if you had a 5 year old bottle and a current bottle they might not be exactly the same either. 

Word. Frankly, all whiskey tastes slightly (and sometimes wildly) different when you sample from different batches. All business decisions remaining the same, you still have to put a lot of trust on the consistency of nature's elements that grow your corn & oak, the dude that blends your barrels, etc. I'm pretty sure the masters of this craft will do a far better job at limiting confounding factors than us mere mortals, but over the years, small variances add up. And this was me repeating what kevinbrink already said above in a more convoluted manner, because why not. Satisfied, now I'm checking out.

37 minutes ago, Kane said:

Frankly, all whiskey tastes slightly (and sometimes wildly) different when you sample from different batches.

I find that all whiskey tastes slightly different depending on what day it is.  My palate is probably far more variable than KC 9YO vs. KC NAS.

18 minutes ago, Flyfish said:

I find that all whiskey tastes slightly different depending on what day it is.  My palate is probably far more variable than KC 9YO vs. KC NAS.

^^^^THIS!!!!    Me (and many others, I bet), too.  

However, it isn't always a terrible thing.    For a whiskey blender or selector of barrels for a blend, or even for a single barrel offering it would be real bummer.  

For me, on the other hand, it just means I get to taste different flavors from one day to the next; often from the same identical bottle.   HA!   :P

Edited by Richnimrod

^^^^THIS!!!!    Me (and many others, I bet), too.  
However, it isn't always a terrible thing.    For a whiskey blender or selector of barrels for a blend, or even for a single barrel offering it would be real bummer.  
For me, on the other hand, it just means I get to taste different flavors from one day to the next; often from the same identical bottle.   HA!   [emoji14]

Rich, Are you sure it's your palate that's different from one day to the next or is it that you just forget from one day to the next? [emoji12][emoji23][emoji56]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Rich, Are you sure it's your palate that's different from one day to the next or is it that you just forget from one day to the next? emoji12.pngemoji23.pngemoji56.png

Hmmmm.    There is a definite possibility of this, I suppose.....      . . . . What were we discussing? ...scratching head in search of a memory here....

Hmmmm.    There is a definite possibility of this, I suppose.....      . . . . What were we discussing? ...scratching head in search of a memory here....

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

9 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Rich, Are you sure it's your palate that's different from one day to the next or is it that you just forget from one day to the next? emoji12.pngemoji23.pngemoji56.png

14 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

Forget what?  :wacko:

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Forget what?  :wacko:

YEAH!!!    Just what I was thinking. . . . I think?

When ya have to explain the joke, it just isn't funny anymore. [emoji849][emoji2][emoji56]

7 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

When ya have to explain the joke, it just isn't funny anymore. emoji849.pngemoji2.pngemoji56.png

uuhhhhh...   What was the joke again???      Did I get it?  

uuhhhhh...   What was the joke again???      Did I get it?  

I don't remember, but I think ya got it...I think...

On 10/16/2017 at 3:41 PM, Darin said:

if the quality is not the same...the price should be lower.

that's not how this works

It is curious how the palate can change from day to day. I'll also wager that dissipation occurs each time we open and disturb the contents of said bottle and what was hot one day may develop into a flavor bomb. That is one of the things I love about barrel proofs, cask strengths. The evolution of flavors that occurs or maybe it's just my palate telling me that. 

Edited by ondarocks

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.