Which Rye Whiskeys for Sweet Bourbon Lovers?

Bourbon Fanatic
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

11 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Funny you should mention a number.  My first run-through of the post above had "about 20" instead of "a few more" open.  THEN, I thought that was too many.  THEN, I saw your post and went a-counting.  "20" seems to be a good, round, open number.

I just took inventory over the last week or so of my stash (an eye opening endeavor), I'm at 34 bottles of American Rye (29 different so some have backups) and 6 of Canadian origin (Jefferson's, Whistlepig, Mastersons, Lot 40, CR NHR and CR HSB) so as you escalate you can blame me. Someone else can chime in now and give me an excuse to make further purchases......

Man, i sure did not get "sweet" from WP 10. It was very medicinal tasting to me. I'll revisit it after seeing all the love for it on here. 

13 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

I just took inventory over the last week or so of my stash (an eye opening endeavor), I'm at 34 bottles of American Rye (29 different so some have backups) and 6 of Canadian origin (Jefferson's, Whistlepig, Mastersons, Lot 40, CR NHR and CR HSB) so as you escalate you can blame me. Someone else can chime in now and give me an excuse to make further purchases......

Here's a few to try if you haven't:

Lock Stock & Barrel 13 or 16 if you like Mastersons - same flavor profile/source but a bit older. A bit spendy so maybe try in a bar first, but probably worth it if you really like this flavor profile.

Russell's Reserve Single Barrel Rye, one of my favorites

Whistlepig store pick barrel proof, these are generally exceptional

Redemption barrel proof, these can be found in various ranges from 6-10 year, one of the few (only?) sources for BP MGP rye with some decent age on it. Redemption just released an updated bottle style with a 9 year rye, 9 year bourbon and 10 year high right bourbon, all barrel proof MGP in the $80 range.

17 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Man, i sure did not get "sweet" from WP 10. It was very medicinal tasting to me. I'll revisit it after seeing all the love for it on here. 

I get sweet from basically all bourbons and ryes so it's sort of hard to calibrate and know what one means when they want sweet. Some Canadian ryes like Pendleton are very very sweet, cloyingly sweet really to the point of unpleasantness (to me at least). But WP definitely has a sort of medicinal, even vegetal note going on with it, along with sweetness, oak, and rye spice.

Edit: Just had a sip of my bottle of WP10 barrel proof (Stagecoach store pick). The sweetness is clearly there, like a cream sherry or cherry cola sort of sweet. It's balanced well with rye spice and a hint of oak. I get a bit of a medicinal flavor but not in a bad way. Really great stuff. It's not a sweet bomb like Rittenhouse or Baby Saz though where the sweetness is almost overpowering.

Edited by EarthQuake

4 minutes ago, EarthQuake said:

Here's a few to try if you haven't:

Lock Stock & Barrel 13 or 16 if you like Mastersons - same flavor profile/source but a bit older. A bit spendy so maybe try in a bar first, but probably worth it if you really like this flavor profile.

Russell's Reserve Single Barrel Rye, one of my favorites

Whistlepig store pick barrel proof, these are generally exceptional

Redemption barrel proof, these can be found in various ranges from 6-10 year, one of the few (only?) sources for BP MGP rye with some decent age on it. Redemption just released an updated bottle style with a 9 year rye, 9 year bourbon and 10 year high right bourbon, all barrel proof MGP in the $80 range.

I didn't love the LS&B 16 thought it was over oaked, the 13 was fine if not unspectacular. My local Stew Leonards has a Store Pick Masterson's for $50 which works just fine for me though.  For something with more proof I'm good with WP single barrels as you pointed out. As a WT fanboy RRSB is one of my faves as well.  I have two bottles of the Redemption 7 yr Barrel Proof that I picked up for $60 right after the SAOS stuff was cleared our in my area for when I need a substitute I also find 7 yrs to be my sweet spot for MGP rye.  If you are looking for another MGP Cask Strength Turley Mill Single Barrel 6 yr is around in my area and tends to be cheaper than Redemption, it also was aged for at least a portion of the time in New Mexico so it actually has a bit more Oak on it than you would expect.

• I like it 1

Just now, kevinbrink said:

I didn't love the LS&B 16 thought it was over oaked, the 13 was fine if not unspectacular. My local Stew Leonards has a Store Pick Masterson's for $50 which works just fine for me though.  For something with more proof I'm good with WP single barrels as you pointed out. As a WT fanboy RRSB is one of my faves as well.  I have two bottles of the Redemption 7 yr Barrel Proof that I picked up for $60 right after the SAOS stuff was cleared our in my area for when I need a substitute I also find 7 yrs to be my sweet spot for MGP rye.  If you are looking for another MGP Cask Strength Turley Mill Single Barrel 6 yr is around in my area and tends to be cheaper than Redemption, it also was aged for at least a portion of the time in New Mexico so it actually has a bit more Oak on it than you would expect.

Oh cool I'll keep an eye out for that. I love oak heavy whiskey so that sounds like it's right up my alley.

I am not that experienced with the Rye liquid, but have been sampling a lot of them lately to see if I could find any of them I like.  So far there have been four that I would like to have a bottle of, and unfortunately three of them are of the costly variety.  Through blind tasting I really liked the High West Rendezvous Rye and the Whistle Pig 12 Year Old World.  At a couple of different restaurants I had a glass of Thomas H. Handy and a glass of Whistle Pig "The Boss Hog", which I thought both were fantastic.

That is my two copper pieces.

0b8a28645f7b97b3fc8acb1f5fcc5732.jpg

If you want sweet, pick up a bottle of basil dark rye. Very smooth, sweet, but a little dry. A great Rye and it’s less than $40

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.