Bacoo Rum

lcpfratn
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I noticed the Bacoo brand of rum at a couple of stores today. There were 5yr, 8yr and 12yr old versions. It's a product of the Dominican Republic and I believe it's made from fresh cane juice. I'm not finding much about it online, but the price seems reasonable at $25 for the 12 year old version. Has anyone had a chance to try any of these?

I haven't seen it yet, but it seems to be a new product and I'm guessing it's sourced from one of the larger distilleries/companies on the island.

I'd be surprised if it's made from fresh cane juice because most or all rum made in the DR is made from molasses. Does it say on the label it's made from fresh cane juice?

Their website pretty explicitly states that it is cane juice Rum with a real age statement, of course many will take that with a grain of salt considering the shenanigans that go on in the Rum industry.

Looks like someone on Rum Ratings said the sugar on this is measured at 20 GPL, for comparison El Dorado 12 yr is 35 GPL and Seale's 10yr is 4 GPL

Edited by kevinbrink

Don't know anything about it but agricole at that age from the DR, and at the price it is going for, seems a bit umm, surprising... <_<

Further investigative type work, their website says they are located on San Pedro de Macoris which is where the Ron Barcelo distillery is. 

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

Further investigative type work, their website says they are located on San Pedro de Macoris which is where the Ron Barcelo distillery is. 

Well, Bacoo must be Dominican for shortstop, then...  ;)

6 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Don't know anything about it but agricole at that age from the DR, and at the price it is going for, seems a bit umm, surprising... <_<

Many rum age statements from the DR are surprising. I'd love to believe their website, but I see they don't say anything about adding sweeteners and that make me wonder about what else they may be omitting.

I don't know much about the distillery other than what other's have posted on here from their website.  I bought it without knowing much about, but I have enjoyed the 3 pours i have had out of my bottle of 8 year old.  

• 2 weeks later...

I liked the 12yr that I bought and will probably pick up a 5 or 8yr to compare it too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.