Sign in to follow this  
Richnimrod

2017 4-Roses SmBLE

Richnimrod

Having just been fortunate enough to grab a bottle of this year's 4-R SmBLE, I drove straight home and was barely thru the door before I had the bottle in hand was opening it up.

Upon sniffing the aroma, I tried to guess what would complement it the best, and decided upon Coca-Cola. 

I poured out about an ounce of the 4-R, and added around 4-ounces of chilled Coke, and a small ice cube.    I was disappointed with that combination and poured it out. 

I next tried Mountain Dew in the same approximate proportions.    THAT was Fabulous!

OK, I'm totally bullsh_tting you!     No soda was used in the pours, and no ice.    The plain truth is; this is a wonderful offering from the Roses.    It isn't really deep, though it's fairly complex.    It is a bit sweeter than some 4-R offerings, and has a wonderful honey-like finish.    There's a good deal of salty caramel, there's some fruitiness; but not that much, there is some wood; but only as way to hold it all together.   The more I sampled it, the more I was put in mind of a GBS pick of OESO (one of my personal faves) from a few years ago.    Simply a very enjoyable pour that can be savored and analyzed for a good while, if one has a mind to that sort of thing... which I may do; but not today.

In fact I may do a SBS with those two.    That would be telling, I think.     If you can grab one, I recommend you do.

tanstaafl2

It didn't hold up to the more mature tasting Al Young for me. But if you don't like the Al Young you might find this one better. Not bad mind you, just doesn't compare well. So far only had it at tastings. If and when I get one I will do some comparisons with prior SmB LE's.

And if you didn't like the Al Young 4R please by all means feel free to send me your bottle(s) for proper disposal! :D

Edited by tanstaafl2

Kpiz

Thanks for the notes! I'm very encouraged that you're digging this release. Like Bruce, I tried it at WhiskyFest alongside the Al Young and thought the AY was more interesting. But I struck out on procuring an Al Young at a reasonable price, and the SmBLE is probably the special release I have the best shot at finding during this crazy fall season. I will definitely be a buyer if I can find it anywhere near MSRP.

BottledInBond
5 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Having just been fortunate enough to grab a bottle of this year's 4-R SmBLE, I drove straight home and was barely thru the door before I had the bottle in hand was opening it up.

Upon sniffing the aroma, I tried to guess what would complement it the best, and decided upon Coca-Cola. 

I poured out about an ounce of the 4-R, and added around 4-ounces of chilled Coke, and a small ice cube.    I was disappointed with that combination and poured it out. 

I next tried Mountain Dew in the same approximate proportions.    THAT was Fabulous!

OK, I'm totally bullsh_tting you!     No soda was used in the pours, and no ice.    The plain truth is; this is a wonderful offering from the Roses.    It isn't really deep, though it's fairly complex.    It is a bit sweeter than some 4-R offerings, and has a wonderful honey-like finish.    There's a good deal of salty caramel, there's some fruitiness; but not that much, there is some wood; but only as way to hold it all together.   The more I sampled it, the more I was put in mind of a GBS pick of OESO (one of my personal faves) from a few years ago.    Simply a very enjoyable pour that can be savored and analyzed for a good while, if one has a mind to that sort of thing... which I may do; but not today.

In fact I may do a SBS with those two.    That would be telling, I think.     If you can grab one, I recommend you do.

Sweeter than the 2016? I thought the 2016 was fairly sweet in terms of limited small batch releases. Haven't opened the Al Young yet but probably should soon.....

Richnimrod
8 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

Sweeter than the 2016? I thought the 2016 was fairly sweet in terms of limited small batch releases. Haven't opened the Al Young yet but probably should soon.....

I never had the opportunity to try a '16... or, if I did I was too far gone to remember, I guess. 

When I say sweeter, I mean 'to me', 'on this day', and I'm speaking in general terms that it seemed sweeter, as it compared to my recollection of all the other SmBLE's I've had, which go back (with the exception of '16) to 2010.    ...And, I include the many, many single barrel pix of all ten recipes I've tasted as well.   Not sure if all that helps you or not. 

Really, the only way to do such comparisons in a way that yields meaningful results, is in a blind SBS.

BottledInBond
1 hour ago, Richnimrod said:

I never had the opportunity to try a '16... or, if I did I was too far gone to remember, I guess. 

When I say sweeter, I mean 'to me', 'on this day', and I'm speaking in general terms that it seemed sweeter, as it compared to my recollection of all the other SmBLE's I've had, which go back (with the exception of '16) to 2010.    ...And, I include the many, many single barrel pix of all ten recipes I've tasted as well.   Not sure if all that helps you or not. 

Really, the only way to do such comparisons in a way that yields meaningful results, is in a blind SBS.

If I must. For research purposes and such. Thankfully I'm at the airport on my way to the commonwealth currently to accommodate this 

Dango
On 10/19/2017 at 4:55 PM, Richnimrod said:

Almost had me with the mixing, not that I have anything against mixing with soda, but I was saying to myself (Is this a bourbon you would want to mix)