cdcdguy

Giving Up Craft Bourbon?

Kepler
On 10/20/2017 at 10:43 AM, cdcdguy said:

I appreciate their pioneer spirit though. What are your thoughts?

False pretense.  I don't see the "craft" bourbon makers as "pioneers."  Rather, they are johnny-come-lately types that rush to a boom market, just like Economics 101 teaches us will happen. It's textbook.  They joined the market late, to take part in the windfall.  When this bourbon market inevitably busts, they will leave the market first because there is no money to be made anymore.  Most of them will go belly up with Chapter 11, and some will simply wisely find something else to do before they go bankrupt.   A couple of them will stick around permanently, because they are good at business or lucky, or a combination of the two.

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 1

cdcdguy
7 hours ago, Kepler said:

False pretense.  I don't see the "craft" bourbon makers as "pioneers."  Rather, they are johnny-come-lately types that rush to a boom market, just like Economics 101 teaches us will happen. It's textbook.  They joined the market late, to take part in the windfall.  When this bourbon market inevitably busts, they will leave the market first because there is no money to be made anymore.  Most of them will go belly up with Chapter 11, and some will simply wisely find something else to do before they go bankrupt.   A couple of them will stick around permanently, because they are good at business or lucky, or a combination of the two.

On second thought, could not agree more. We have one here in Fort Wayne called Three Rivers. They make other spirits plus regular and wheated bourbon. It's young. However they now have a tasting room that's very popular hangout place on weekends. Not the best bourbon, but if the could afford to age it longer, they might have something. They might survive the future bust with their other spirits.

Edited by cdcdguy
  • I like it 1