Jefferson's Presidential

mdband
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've never bought a bottle of Jefferson's Presidential. I saw they were releasing a 16 yo Twin Oak this fall. For those of you experienced and well funded posters, what did you think of Jefferson's Presidential? I know NDPs are a sore subject with some (inlcuding Michter's) However, I'm just looking for an objective view on their experience with this product. 

Most of the JPS's were very good (even the ryes). My problem with them is they put out  too many gimmicks. They are like that guy that try's to hard for everyone to like him. If they would just concentrate on putting out a good bourbon (I know it's hard sourcing good bourbon theses days) I would respect there product more. 

Im sure I will pick up the new 16y if I see it, as long as it's not outrageously priced, and not finished in some wine barrel. 

• I like it 1

I purchased a few bottles of Jefferson's Presidential 17 and 18 back when you could get all you wanted for $80.  IMHO, it was one of the best bourbons I have ever tasted.  But that is just me.

I had a pour of a JPS18 a few weeks.  It is probably in my top 2 or 3 pours ever. I wish I could bottle the nose as cologne.  Had a super buttery feel to it with a long leathery finish.  I don't do descriptions well!  

Key problem is the new ones, will be nothing like the old 17 and 18 yr releases, as they were SW distillate. And yes, like the previous folks said, quite dam good!

New stuff, sourced from who knows where...but won’t be like the originals.

I think I bought most of the MN stock of them out. Unknown bargains of their day.

B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, BFerguson said:

Key problem is the new ones, will be nothing like the old 17 and 18 yr releases, as they were SW distillate.

Allegedly B)

These new ones might taste great. They could be something like MGP. Aged to 16yrs in two barrels has the potential for some rich and interesting flavors.

SW isn't the only distillery that ever made legendary bourbon. MGP has done it too. 

Having said that this will probably be at a price point that puts me off.

• I like it 2

1. The recent Jefferson's track record, of which I have admittedly been a victim, makes this a release that I would need to read unanimous praise for before I even thought about bringing one home and even with that it might be gone by the time I'm ready to cave.

10 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

SW isn't the only distillery that ever made legendary bourbon. MGP has done it too. 

Huh?  SW is certainly not the only distillery that ever made legendary bourbon, but the words MGP, bourbon, and legendary shouldn't even be used in the same paragraph.  

You need to get ashore, Paul.  You're going to start seeing the Sirens next.   :lol:

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Huh?  SW is certainly not the only distillery that ever made legendary bourbon, but the words MGP, bourbon, and legendary shouldn't even be used in the same paragraph.  

You need to get ashore, Paul.  You're going to start seeing the Sirens next.   :lol:

haha Joe, but I stand by it.

Some of the best SAOS picks were MGP, and those IMO have the right to be called legendary. That's MGP, raised right.

On 10/23/2017 at 4:23 PM, Clueby said:

I had a pour of a JPS18 a few weeks.  It is probably in my top 2 or 3 pours ever. I wish I could bottle the nose as cologne.  Had a super buttery feel to it with a long leathery finish.  I don't do descriptions well!  

Yes, you do.  As I type this, my mouth is watering.  Also, I've skipped the JPSs.  Maybe not this time if I see one.

EDIT - I said, "Maybe", Joe.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
to remove a stray "c" from "I've" and to add a thought.

9 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Yes, you do.  As I type this, my mouth is watering.  Also, I've skipped the JPSs.  Maybe not this time if I see one.

EDIT - I said, "Maybe", Joe.

It really reminded me of a softer PVW20 but had that butteryness thing to it. Another patron commented the same thing. Who knows what new JPS will be..but then we didn't know for sure what the early ones were either.

On 10/23/2017 at 1:27 PM, BourbonGuy said:

I purchased a few bottles of Jefferson's Presidential 17 and 18 back when you could get all you wanted for $80.  IMHO, it was one of the best bourbons I have ever tasted.  But that is just me.

I didn't, I was still in my "Johnnie Walker Blue is as good as it gets" phase.  Maybe I was better off back then...bourbon has its hooks in me.

JPS 17 batch 1, best I've ever had under 100 proof.  Not expecting anything close w/ the 16.

Saw somewhere a 16 year old wil be released soon.  The gimmick is it was rebarrelled at 10 years into new charred oak barrels.   Interesting experiment actually.  Not sure about the price, probably pretty high

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, jvd99 said:

Saw somewhere a 16 year old wil be released soon.  The gimmick is it was rebarrelled at 10 years into new charred oak barrels.   Interesting experiment actually.  Not sure about the price, probably pretty high

Oooooh.    My cheex and tongue are already puckering with the likely amount of tannic influence in this one. 

Of course, if the 're-barrels' are only toasted, or only very lightly charred (in which case why bother?), I could be off on that guess.

Sounded like the second set of barrells were brand new barrels, not recharred which I think is interesting if true.  If the second set of barrels were used and recharred, they couldn’t call it 16 year old (however I’m no expert on the legalities)

#3 char original barrels, then re-barreled in #3 char new oak barrels. Supposedly not too woody but very expensive indeed. ($200).

• I like it 1

Makes you wonder what was wrong with that original 10yo bourbon that they felt the need to rebarrel it in the first place.

I have learned (over and over and over...) to never say never when it comes to what I will break down and buy but I will likely get access to one and don't feel a strong need to get it. Especially not at $200!

Nope, not gonna do it!

Sigh...

• I like it 2

• 1 month later...

For better or worse I became a buyer of this bottle today ($199). Not pleased with the price point but have read enough good, bad, great, awful, beautiful, ugly reviews to ignore them all and decide for myself. I’ll be opening this tonight or tomorrow - review to follow.

Side note: I hate how seeing a reciept for $150+ doesn’t disgust me. I might need to have a lifestyle adjustment so these purchases don’t happen in the future

• I like it 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/8/2017 at 11:30 AM, grantsi said:

For better or worse I became a buyer of this bottle today ($199). Not pleased with the price point but have read enough good, bad, great, awful, beautiful, ugly reviews to ignore them all and decide for myself. I’ll be opening this tonight or tomorrow - review to follow.

Side note: I hate how seeing a reciept for $150+ doesn’t disgust me. I might need to have a lifestyle adjustment so these purchases don’t happen in the future

Good bad ugly beautiful?

On 12/8/2017 at 12:30 PM, grantsi said:

Curious on review a well. Saw a whole row of this on the shelves yesterday at a well know retailer where limited releases seldom make it out of the back room. Seems like its not selling as they hoped. Was tempted but felt burned by my last Orphan Barrel purchase. Correctly or incorrectly I lump this with those as gimmicky release. Store also had loads of Rhetoric, Entrapment, and Forged Oak languishing next to the JPS16. 

Jefferson's ran out of good whiskey a long time ago. Everything they do now is a gimmick. I wouldn't trust a single thing they release at this point.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.