Michter's 25 year old "Limited Edition" Bourbon

MasterTater
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've been told there will only be 500 - 700 of these released in the months of November and December 2017.  Then, I was told that only 18 were released for the entire area between the tip of Long Island (Montauk) and the outskirts of Westchester.  The 2012 20 year old was followed by a 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 year 20 year old.  Now in 2017, there will be no 20 year, only a small "Limited Edition" (not single barrel) 25 year old bourbon released.

Is there anyone that can help me understand what Michter's is up to?  Were they using tanked Juice and calling it single barrel through 2015?  Are they using tanked Juice and blending it with other 25 year barrels and calling it Limited?  There have also been claims this is older SW stock, is there any truth to that?  Am I asking questions that will bring on a bunch of false info?

Thanks in advance.

24 minutes ago, MasterTater said:

I've been told there will only be 500 - 700 of these released in the months of November and December 2017.  Then, I was told that only 18 were released for the entire area between the tip of Long Island (Montauk) and the outskirts of Westchester.  The 2012 20 year old was followed by a 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 year 20 year old.  Now in 2017, there will be no 20 year, only a small "Limited Edition" (not single barrel) 25 year old bourbon released.

Is there anyone that can help me understand what Michter's is up to?  Were they using tanked Juice and calling it single barrel through 2015?  Are they using tanked Juice and blending it with other 25 year barrels and calling it Limited?  There have also been claims this is older SW stock, is there any truth to that?  Am I asking questions that will bring on a bunch of false info?

Thanks in advance.

There has long been suspicion of some things Michter's has done. Some have suggested that they blended multiple barrels, and then re-barreled that blend, and then dumped that barrel and called it a "single barrel" product. This drew suspicion especially because the amount of bottles coming from some barrel numbers did not seem possible. Who knows what they're really doing but they did take the single barrel off this release for sure, although their site still refers to it as single barrel in the text.....

It was widely assumed that they had some SW juice in the past but it seems as though that is long gone. At least the 2016 20 year did not taste anything like SW to me. It Is possible that SW production ending in 1992 could produce a 25 year bourbon in 2017..... But this is Michter's. I'm a firm believer that if this was SW juice they would sell this for something stupid like $5k. I mean they sold the Celebration stuff for $3K+ after all. And they're only selling this for an MSRP of $800. If they had the SW goods, believe me they would be going for way more profit than this. If it don't make dollars it don't make sense

9 minutes ago, BottledInBond said:

There has long been suspicion of some things Michter's has done. Some have suggested that they blended multiple barrels, and then re-barreled that blend, and then dumped that barrel and called it a "single barrel" product. This drew suspicion especially because the amount of bottles coming from some barrel numbers did not seem possible. Who knows what they're really doing but they did take the single barrel off this release for sure, although their site still refers to it as single barrel in the text.....

It was widely assumed that they had some SW juice in the past but it seems as though that is long gone. At least the 2016 20 year did not taste anything like SW to me. It Is possible that SW production ending in 1992 could produce a 25 year bourbon in 2017..... But this is Michter's. I'm a firm believer that if this was SW juice they would sell this for something stupid like $5k. I mean they sold the Celebration stuff for $3K+ after all. And they're only selling this for an MSRP of $800. If they had the SW goods, believe me they would be going for way more profit than this. If it don't make dollars it don't make sense

Of course, and I know people who have seen the tanked 20 year, people who have said outright that from 2002 - 2011, the Michter's 10 year old bourbon was the same juice (watered down of course) as the Michter's 20 released in 2012 for $300 more.  Back to the tanked stuff, heard there was very little left.  2012 = 20 years, 2017 = 25 year?  If I do find one near the 800 price tag, I'll buy it if only to share with my whiskey group and find out what we're dealing with.

If it was tanked in 2012 it would still be 20 year old bourbon unless said tank was made of Oak.

12 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

If it was tanked in 2012 it would still be 20 year old bourbon unless said tank was made of Oak.

Yes, if following the laws and rules that govern labeling.  But who's to say what is in those barrels?  That is my point I guess, you can't really ever know who is telling the truth, who is lying, who is bending the rules, who is breaking them, etc...just food for thought.

33 minutes ago, MasterTater said:

Yes, if following the laws and rules that govern labeling.  But who's to say what is in those barrels?  That is my point I guess, you can't really ever know who is telling the truth, who is lying, who is bending the rules, who is breaking them, etc...just food for thought.

Which is why I haven't bought many Michter's products over the last few years and am unlikely to in the future

• 1 month later...

I was fortunate enough to find one of the previous runs' bottles back in 2010.  Still have it intact.  Think I paid $300 for it.

There is a store in my area doing a release of a bunch of stuff at 9:00 AM tomorrow morning, including one of these M25s. Someone is going to wait in line all night for it. It's going to be like 10 degrees out, literally. Not me....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.