Purchased any new rye lately? (Fall 2017)

bourbon4all
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, Ace1943 said:

I've been buying lots of James E. Pepper Barrel Proof Rye lately because the state liquor stores are getting rid of it and have discounted it to $25.09 per 750 ml. It is admittedly quite young and derives its considerable spiciness from that youth. Some reviewers have found it harsh. I don't put it in the same class with Pikesville, but the spice fiend in me does crave it. Has anyone else given this a try? Locally, it is being sold (at 114 proof) for less than the 100 proof standard version. It may be a tad aggressive but spice in itself, to me, is somewhat aggressive in nature.

I bought it a while back out of curiosity, not a bad pour, I did a SBS with Willett 2yr and Willett 3 Year found it better than the 2 but not quite as interesting as the 3.  I have been seeing the Sagamore  Cask Strength Rye on sale which is a 4+ MGP but at $50 I haven't brought myself to bite the bullet.

I'm not really a fan of ryes this young, but at $25 I would probably buy a bottle just to run some micro barreling experiment on it. Season a barrel with some port and let it rest for a couple weeks to calm down?

4 hours ago, Ace1943 said:

I've been buying lots of James E. Pepper Barrel Proof Rye lately because the state liquor stores are getting rid of it and have discounted it to $25.09 per 750 ml. It is admittedly quite young and derives its considerable spiciness from that youth. Some reviewers have found it harsh. I don't put it in the same class with Pikesville, but the spice fiend in me does crave it. Has anyone else given this a try? Locally, it is being sold (at 114 proof) for less than the 100 proof standard version. It may be a tad aggressive but spice in itself, to me, is somewhat aggressive in nature.

Well I wasn't a fan of this (and would be one who found it being harsh), it's a really good price.  I don't understand the VA ABC pricing at all sometimes.

I totally agree regarding not understanding the pricing. Admittedly, JEPBP is a closeout, and that must be the reason. There is, however, little that I do understand about the state system here, like why are they closing it out in the first place? Also, the Pikesville 110 is no longer available here last I looked. I did see that coming, and I spent some driving around and am well-stocked with this and the JEPBP. When I noticed the Pikesville getting scarce, I called a manager and was told that they had 150 cases incoming. The next thing I saw was that it was no longer available at all. I used to work for the state. Some things don't have to make sense.

2 hours ago, Ace1943 said:

I totally agree regarding not understanding the pricing. Admittedly, JEPBP is a closeout, and that must be the reason. There is, however, little that I do understand about the state system here, like why are they closing it out in the first place? Also, the Pikesville 110 is no longer available here last I looked. I did see that coming, and I spent some driving around and am well-stocked with this and the JEPBP. When I noticed the Pikesville getting scarce, I called a manager and was told that they had 150 cases incoming. The next thing I saw was that it was no longer available at all. I used to work for the state. Some things don't have to make sense.

Well it's not rye but I posted last week about buying WTRB's @ $15 / 375 when the 750's were $45.  I also know that the Blanton's half bottles are less than half price of the 750's.

Send me a PM when you get to 10 posts.  I have some VA ABC tips that you may find useful.

I purchased a bottle of the Filibuster Rye made in the northern Shenandoah Valley here in Virginia. It cost $45, if I remember correctly, and I wasn't expecting much. It surprised me a bit, having decent flavors at 90 proof. It was just slightly less viscous than Pikesville, fairly smooth and had a nice spice fuzziness on the finish. I'll give it another pour tonight.

20 minutes ago, Ace1943 said:

I purchased a bottle of the Filibuster Rye made in the northern Shenandoah Valley here in Virginia. It cost $45, if I remember correctly, and I wasn't expecting much. It surprised me a bit, having decent flavors at 90 proof. It was just slightly less viscous than Pikesville, fairly smooth and had a nice spice fuzziness on the finish. I'll give it another pour tonight.

I have a friend who loves that stuff, one of my local's put it on close out for $14.99 a couple years back (the bourbon too) and I grabbed them all and shared them with all my bourbon loving friends. The Rye is better than the Bourbon but neither is bad and both are interesting because of the Wine Cask finishing.

Ok I'm in. Picked up a local 10yr WP local restaurant pick at o believe 113.6% for $55. Will report pack when I finally opened. My Canadian whiskey experience has been limited to a bottle of CC rye but thought it was really good and look forward to trying something with some age at a barrel proof.

20 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Ok I'm in. Picked up a local 10yr WP local restaurant pick at o believe 113.6% for $55. Will report pack when I finally opened. My Canadian whiskey experience has been limited to a bottle of CC rye but thought it was really good and look forward to trying something with some age at a barrel proof.

Hell of a price

Hot damn WP SB for $55? I'll take a case or two.

Speaking of which, got some reinforcements in the mail today.

23223215_10104825925907760_1647932650_o.jpg

• I like it 1

Hot damn WP SB for $55? I'll take a case or two.

Speaking of which, got some reinforcements in the mail today.
23223215_10104825925907760_1647932650_o.thumb.jpg.25555da6e70e49e2d47fa67b68ddcd45.jpg

They had a case minus a bottle or two. Normal price is $75. We'll see how long it lasts.

Bought the JE Pepper 1776 sherry finished rye Batch PX1 the other day.  Have opened it along side a standard 1776 rye, which I like just fine for $30/bottle. 

The PX1 batch is a bit unusual, but not in a bad way.  Really strong sherry bomb, not my preference for a neat pour.  But I'm enjoying adding it a few drops at a time to other pours.  It blends well with the 1776 rye; and this evening I salvaged a languishing Franken-scotch blend by adding 10% by volume of the PX1.  Turned it into a lovely lightly-peated lightly-sherried scotch. 

Virtually no online press for the PX1 batch of 1776.  Anyone else here tried it yet? 

After last week's "limited" baby Saz BS, I keep seeing reasonable prices all around town. Finally caved in and bought one for $24.

Yea, Kane.  Seeing lots of Baby Saz in New England.  Usually closer to $30, though; so a good price.  When I see they have the Saz, I'll go for the throat in hopes of some allocated bottles rattling around somewhere "in the back".  

I decided to widen my Pikesville obsessed Rye horizons and purchased Whistlepig 10 year, Sazerac 90 proof, Redemption Rye @ 92 proof and the Reservoir Rye @ 100 proof. I don't think I'll be able to get all four of those down tonight so I will start out gently with the Sazerac. I don't think any of these will change my mind regarding the Pikesville, especially at some of the prices I had to pay, but they will give me better background for my evaluations in the future.

• I like it 1

33 minutes ago, Ace1943 said:

I decided to widen my Pikesville obsessed Rye horizons and purchased Whistlepig 10 year, Sazerac 90 proof, Redemption Rye @ 92 proof and the Reservoir Rye @ 100 proof. I don't think I'll be able to get all four of those down tonight so I will start out gently with the Sazerac. I don't think any of these will change my mind regarding the Pikesville, especially at some of the prices I had to pay, but they will give me better background for my evaluations in the future.

Great picks for variety! All very different in provenance and taste, this is gonna be very educational if nothing else.

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 9:04 PM, Guss West said:

Bought the JE Pepper 1776 sherry finished rye Batch PX1 the other day.  Have opened it along side a standard 1776 rye, which I like just fine for $30/bottle. 

The PX1 batch is a bit unusual, but not in a bad way.  Really strong sherry bomb, not my preference for a neat pour.  But I'm enjoying adding it a few drops at a time to other pours.  It blends well with the 1776 rye; and this evening I salvaged a languishing Franken-scotch blend by adding 10% by volume of the PX1.  Turned it into a lovely lightly-peated lightly-sherried scotch. 

Virtually no online press for the PX1 batch of 1776.  Anyone else here tried it yet? 

Tasted it at either a recent Whisky festival or the distributors show recently (I am starting to lose track!). Was ok but wasn't particularly overwhelmed or motivated to buy a bottle.  

Edited by tanstaafl2
  • I like it 1

I exchanged the second unopened bottle of PX1 toward another ECBP B517. 

I really wanted to like it.  I've made some room for air in the bottle, so I'm going to put it away for a year or so and revisit it.  Unless, of course, I need "liquid sherry" to dollop into a drink occasionally.  It's great for that! 

23 hours ago, Ace1943 said:

I don't think any of these will change my mind regarding the Pikesville, especially at some of the prices I had to pay,

Did you buy all those out of state or online?

15 minutes ago, DCFan said:

Did you buy all those out of state or online?

Neither, sir. I bought them all right here in the Old Dominion and all at one store.

18 hours ago, Ace1943 said:

Neither, sir. I bought them all right here in the Old Dominion and all at one store.

Ok, I interpreted your post as paying a hefty premium.

7 hours ago, beasled said:

Picked up a couple of James E Pepper barrel proof. Young MGP does something for me. 

Yeah, I like it too. Have you tried the Sherry Finished version? It's a bigger sherry bomb than Aberlour A'bunadh. The fun part is mixing the Sherry Finished JEP 1:3 with the Barrel Proof. Now that's damn good!

1 hour ago, IncredulousNosco said:

Yeah, I like it too. Have you tried the Sherry Finished version? It's a bigger sherry bomb than Aberlour A'bunadh. The fun part is mixing the Sherry Finished JEP 1:3 with the Barrel Proof. Now that's damn good!

I'm UK based so I get what I'm given! No sherry finish on these shores yet. Sounds interesting though!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.