Purchased any new rye lately? (Fall 2017)

bourbon4all
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

4 hours ago, DCFan said:

Ok, I interpreted your post as paying a hefty premium.

Sorry to mislead. I was referring to the Whistlepig and the Reservoir, both setting me back more than Pikesville 110 would have. Pikesville is my only standard for Ryes, and I believe it sets a rather high bar. As a result, for me to buy second bottles of either of these would require a pretty impressive experience. I have some of the Pikesville bunkered, so I can be a tad picky about spending more money to "cheat" on the Pikesville. <_<

Edited by Ace1943
punctuation

A couple days ago (like, I think it was Monday and today is Wednesday) while waiting for my local deli to finish making our lunch sandwiches, I browsed their liquor section which is what I usually do while waiting.  WR Rye was newly added.  So, I picked one up although I have no idea why I did, knowing only that WR does make a rye and also knowing that I have plenty for Pikesville 110 and WT 101 Rye as well as some WPs and some loose ends of other ryes.  It is still in my car's trunk in a plain brown wrapper.  When I bring in the kitty litter, I'll probably bring in and put it on an upper shelf in the utility room.

• I like it 1

I feel like I've spent a small fortune on rye lately with a bunch of Ky Owl and MWND bottles. Couldn't turn down a THH at msrp today though 

• I like it 1

On 10/29/2017 at 11:00 AM, EarthQuake said:

Is there a way to tell which batch I have?

The only way I know to tell them apart is if there's a neck tag with barrel and warehouse info. (I haven't super scrutinized the standard label to tell if there's another way to tell them apart).

Broke down and picked up an Owl rye due to hearing too many positive reviews from palate's I trust. (And it wasn't even smokinjoe that got me this time).

Digging it so far but haven't been able to give it the full review as my palate is still not fully recovered from the previous weekend's debauchery. Everything's fine for about three sips and then everything tastes terrible. (Not just the Owl, but for anything I taste including those I know well.)

^^^^Some would say you need a day (or two) off to recalibrate.  I'd say you need a beer day (or two)!  :lol:

I picked up a JEP BP the other day.  Haven't gotten into in yet, as I'm currently experiencing the same palate issue as Steve noted above.  Oh well, as least my beer stocks are full!  :D

• I like it 2

I have continued my recent Rye-based wallet assault with another KY Owl and then got a call from a store lottery drawing for a Saz18 at MSRP, so that obviously came home with me. Looking forward to trying this. I tried the 2016 but only had one small pour so I didn't have a great opportunity to fully evaluate it. I've seen some fairly positive feedback on the 2017 so far. 

I have continued my recent Rye-based wallet assault with another KY Owl and then got a call from a store lottery drawing for a Saz18 at MSRP, so that obviously came home with me. Looking forward to trying this. I tried the 2016 but only had one small pour so I didn't have a great opportunity to fully evaluate it. I've seen some fairly positive feedback on the 2017 so far. 

Very nice pick up.

High West Rendezvous Rye for $17.62.  Not a huge rye fan, but, couldn't pass that price up.

I'd be all over it at this price? Was it a 375, still a steal!

5 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

I'd be all over it at this price? Was it a 375, still a steal!

750ml at a large chain store on blowout pricing.

• I like it 1

Ok I'm in. Picked up a local 10yr WP local restaurant pick at o believe 113.6% for $55. Will report pack when I finally opened. My Canadian whiskey experience has been limited to a bottle of CC rye but thought it was really good and look forward to trying something with some age at a barrel proof.

Well did some bottle kills and finally opened this up. I like it. I need to try a high proof MGP Rye as I feel this Canadian Rye has the right amount of spice and sweetness. I'm afraid MGP might be overkill on spice, will need to try a pour before buying a bottle. I definitely will pick up a Lot 40 12yr cask strength if I find one later this week in Niagara Falls. Will also get a RR barrel pick if I find one.

Cheers.

cdf8fd1276852e2de2a55a45a5489495.jpg
  • I like it 2

46 minutes ago, Golzee said:

High West Rendezvous Rye for $17.62.  Not a huge rye fan, but, couldn't pass that price up.

That’s an incredible price. I would have grabbed at least two!

Well for comparative reasons I had a couple of small pours of bourbon. An OBSV PS of 4R which almost tasted too sweet after the WP Rye. Also a RR SB pick that tasted just right. Normally this taste too spicy but the rye put it into perspective.

2 hours ago, Golzee said:

Clear the shelf price and find out if there is more in the back!!!!

• I like it 1

23 hours ago, Golzee said:

Holy cow! That's $83.59 at the ABC.  Kudos to you sir.

Picked up the PX Sherry finished 1776, it is tasty if you like sherry finished whiskeys, probably going to sub in for MWND on turkey day this year.

On 11/13/2017 at 7:31 PM, HoustonNit said:

Well did some bottle kills and finally opened this up. I like it. I need to try a high proof MGP Rye as I feel this Canadian Rye has the right amount of spice and sweetness. I'm afraid MGP might be overkill on spice, will need to try a pour before buying a bottle. I definitely will pick up a Lot 40 12yr cask strength if I find one later this week in Niagara Falls. Will also get a RR barrel pick if I find one.

Cheers.

cdf8fd1276852e2de2a55a45a5489495.jpg

First off, WP CS store picks are absurd good. Thank you Specs for keeping it in stock. Pretty freakin' close to WPBH SoM but for $69.99. Love.

Regarding MGP, if you're talking young, then JEP BP is crazy spice and dill. I love it, but it is BIG. Similar to that, but much older is Redemption Rye 7 or 8yo. Still huge spice and dill. But if you ever happen across SAOS BP rye, which you likely won't--but if you do, get it. Becauae for some reason the dill and spice is replaced with smoke and wood spice. Not sure what magic occured in Indiana with those particulars casks, but it is as damn good as rye gets. 

So yeah...there appears to be some variation with MGP rye. I even did SBS with Redemption and SAOS CS 7 and 8yo, and they didn't even taste remotely similar. 

2 hours ago, IncredulousNosco said:

First off, WP CS store picks are absurd good. Thank you Specs for keeping it in stock. Pretty freakin' close to WPBH SoM but for $69.99. Love.

Regarding MGP, if you're talking young, then JEP BP is crazy spice and dill. I love it, but it is BIG. Similar to that, but much older is Redemption Rye 7 or 8yo. Still huge spice and dill. But if you ever happen across SAOS BP rye, which you likely won't--but if you do, get it. Becauae for some reason the dill and spice is replaced with smoke and wood spice. Not sure what magic occured in Indiana with those particulars casks, but it is as damn good as rye gets. 

So yeah...there appears to be some variation with MGP rye. I even did SBS with Redemption and SAOS CS 7 and 8yo, and they didn't even taste remotely similar. 

The best sub for the smoky and wood  forward SAOS BPs is the Turley Mill as long as it is a 6+ year batch as far as i'm concerned

• I like it 1

Wow, super informative post, ton of great information, thanks for sharing. I've had MGP Rye but not for a few years and never one of the high proof aged offerings.

Curious do you find a lot of Barrel variation in the store picks of WP? Also you mentioned Spec's curious what part of Texas are you in? I've never heard anyone say they didn't like SAOS Rye but would love to get my hands on it. Know a guy with some store picks of SAOS Rye, K&L and a few others.

• I like it 1

26 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Curious do you find a lot of Barrel variation in the store picks of WP? Also you mentioned Spec's curious what part of Texas are you in?

I'm in Austin recently. I'm not from Austin, but I got here as soon as I could, which was last June. You'd have to dynamite me out at this point. 

For WP picks, I have only ever purchased the local Specs pick. But I did get a sample from a friend a year ago which I presume was a different batch. So far as I can recall they were basically identical. Both very much reminded me of BH SoM with huge leather,  wood spice and...shoe polish...in a good way!

Both very much reminded me of BH SoM with huge leather,  wood spice and...shoe polish...in a good way!

Sorry what's BH SoM? Also I think your description of WP Rye store picks is spot on.
  • I like it 1

Twisted Mazanita Rebellious Rye. Meh... I won't be getting a second bottle.

Apparently out of San Diego from a small brewery.

It was $20. Tastes like something you made yourself with a kit with wood staves. (don't ask me how I know about that)

Not terrible in a Manhattan, but I won't go neat or even old fashioned.

Resized_20171108_201706.thumb.jpeg.cd4f80dc4207699f681e822932eb6f2e.jpeg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.