Purchased any new rye lately? (Fall 2017)

bourbon4all
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 12/2/2017 at 7:34 PM, Ace1943 said:

I picked up a bottle of Old Potrero Rye today and will try it tonight. I tried it some months ago when I was a bourbon sipper, and I thought it just tasted strange. Now that I am sipping Rye, and have experimented with many various "crafty" Ryes, I'm guessing that I will like it just fine.

Well, I was both right and wrong about the Old Potrero Rye, although luckily not at the same time. When I tried it back in my Bourbon days, it just seemed strange to me. The Rye fanatic in me got to try it the last two nights, and he was impressed. It has a mouthfeel easily as viscous as the Pikesville and the taste and spice level do not disappoint at all. Don't let on to my stash of Pikesville that I enjoyed it equally, but, if not, it ran an extremely close second, although on a cost basis it is more expensive.

1 hour ago, Ace1943 said:

Well, I was both right and wrong about the Old Potrero Rye, although luckily not at the same time. When I tried it back in my Bourbon days, it just seemed strange to me. The Rye fanatic in me got to try it the last two nights, and he was impressed. It has a mouthfeel easily as viscous as the Pikesville and the taste and spice level do not disappoint at all. Don't let on to my stash of Pikesville that I enjoyed it equally, but, if not, it ran an extremely close second, although on a cost basis it is more expensive.

I assume you have the Straight Rye and not the 18th Century Rye? It is hard to compare a barely legal rye like Pikesville with a 100% malted rye like Old Potrero. They are two completely different whiskeys. I like both, but, they are as different as single malt scotch and bourbon.

Regards, Jim    

22 hours ago, hawkeye62 said:

I assume you have the Straight Rye and not the 18th Century Rye? It is hard to compare a barely legal rye like Pikesville with a 100% malted rye like Old Potrero. They are two completely different whiskeys. I like both, but, they are as different as single malt scotch and bourbon.

Regards, Jim    

I'm admittedly new here and just about as new to Ryes, but I drank the Old Potrero after the Pikesville and not comparing them, whatever their essences and differences, was unavoidable. The Old Potrero was quite stunning to me. I have limitations upon my ability to "nose" and pick out flavors and notes and no longer attempt to do so. These days I am restricted to comparing pours based upon only mouthfeel, taste (in a general sense), spice level and how much I like the pour. That is limiting, but it is all I can bring to the table, or pour, and it works for me. The Old Potrero was the 18th Century version, and, given my limitations, I loved it. However, I do get your point and appreciate your clarifying the issue for me. I'm here to learn so I thank you for your input.

Regards,

Warren

I went to a lottery today with about 100 people. After my number had not been called with about 10 people left and the only bottles left being WSR and ER10 I finally bailed. So I stopped on the way home and picked up 2 CR NHR 375s for 2 for $12. It's got that classic rye right at the very end but I'm glad I didn't buy it when it first came out.20171210_193529-1429x804.thumb.jpg.fa7db93ed2cc64e927e224db0f4cd825.jpg

20171210_191543-1099x1057.jpg

2 hours ago, Clueby said:

I went to a lottery today with about 100 people. After my number had not been called with about 10 people left and the only bottles left being WSR and ER10 I finally bailed. So I stopped on the way home and picked up 2 CR NHR 375s for 2 for $12. It's got that classic rye right at the very end but I'm glad I didn't buy it when it first came out.20171210_193529-1429x804.thumb.jpg.fa7db93ed2cc64e927e224db0f4cd825.jpg

20171210_191543-1099x1057.jpg

At least that's a good price, worth the experience. This is maybe the one whiskey I truly dislike and avoid, my 375 is collecting dust...

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 6:21 PM, Ace1943 said:

I'm admittedly new here and just about as new to Ryes, but I drank the Old Potrero after the Pikesville and not comparing them, whatever their essences and differences, was unavoidable. The Old Potrero was quite stunning to me. I have limitations upon my ability to "nose" and pick out flavors and notes and no longer attempt to do so. These days I am restricted to comparing pours based upon only mouthfeel, taste (in a general sense), spice level and how much I like the pour. That is limiting, but it is all I can bring to the table, or pour, and it works for me. The Old Potrero was the 18th Century version, and, given my limitations, I loved it. However, I do get your point and appreciate your clarifying the issue for me. I'm here to learn so I thank you for your input.

Regards,

Warren

If you get the chance, try the Old Potrero Straight Rye. I like it much better than the 18th Century. The 18th Century is aged in "toasted" oak barrels. The Straight is aged in "charred" oak barrels. The Straight is darker in color and has much more flavor.

Regards, Jim  

Jim,

I'm in Virginia and at the mercy of the ABC here. I will certainly look for the Straight Rye because of your recommendation and because I am loving

the 18th Century version. Thanks for the advice!

Regards,

Warren

14 hours ago, Ace1943 said:

Jim,

I'm in Virginia and at the mercy of the ABC here. I will certainly look for the Straight Rye because of your recommendation and because I am loving

the 18th Century version. Thanks for the advice!

Regards,

Warren

You can find it online at stores in California and New Jersey if it is legal to ship alcohol to Virginia.

Regards, Jim

9 hours ago, hawkeye62 said:

You can find it online at stores in California and New Jersey if it is legal to ship alcohol to Virginia.

Regards, Jim

Jim,

No, it is not legal to have liquor shipped into Virginia, thus I am "at the mercy" of the ABC. There is even a limitation regarding how much liquor can

be transported into Virginia from a neighboring state. I'm not averse at all to taking the occasional whiskey trip, but I haven't had the chance lately.

Given your recommendation, it is something to consider.

Regards,

Warren

12 hours ago, Ace1943 said:

No, it is not legal to have liquor shipped into Virginia, thus I am "at the mercy" of the ABC. There is even a limitation regarding how much liquor can

be transported into Virginia from a neighboring state.

It was about 30-40 years ago the tactics of the ABC agents were written about in the WaPo.  Around the holiday season they would camp out in the parking lots of some DC liquor stores and when someone with VA tags would come out and load up their trunk with goodies they'd follow them across the river, pull them over and ticket/arrest/seize (I forgot the exact repercussions).

Picked up two bottles of BH Dark Rye after I opened the first one in the store and sampled it with the owner. I still wish it was higher proof, but this is really good stuff. The port finish is very prominent and gives it a wonderful dark fruit flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, Ace1943 said:

Jim,

be transported into Virginia from a neighboring state. I'm not averse at all to taking the occasional whiskey trip, but I haven't had the chance lately.

Given your recommendation, it is something to consider.

Regards,

Warren

Yeah, same here in Utah. I am at the mercy of the DABC. It is even illegal to bring liquor in from another state. I have family in Washington state where it is legal to have liquor shipped. And I have never heard of any stop and search for liquor in Utah, although, I suppose there is always a first time. I think the only time it would happen would be if I was stopped for something else.

Regards, Jim   

On 12/14/2017 at 12:28 PM, hawkeye62 said:

Yeah, same here in Utah. I am at the mercy of the DABC. It is even illegal to bring liquor in from another state. I have family in Washington state where it is legal to have liquor shipped. And I have never heard of any stop and search for liquor in Utah, although, I suppose there is always a first time. I think the only time it would happen would be if I was stopped for something else.

Regards, Jim   

While I was in SLC for vacation, I would hit up some of the liquor stores, looking for different high west stuff.

One of the distillery employees told me that the stores in "heavily religious areas" tend to sit on stuff for years.

I'm always on the lookout for older batches of high west ryes, just because I find them to be slightly better.

On 12/14/2017 at 1:28 PM, hawkeye62 said:

Yeah, same here in Utah. I am at the mercy of the DABC.

What's the "D" in the DABC stand for - damned, devil, delightful, dorky, delicious?  Coming from Utah I could see MABC. :D

3 hours ago, DCFan said:

What's the "D" in the DABC stand for - damned, devil, delightful, dorky, delicious?  Coming from Utah I could see MABC. :D

Department.

8 hours ago, 0895 said:

While I was in SLC for vacation, I would hit up some of the liquor stores, looking for different high west stuff.

One of the distillery employees told me that the stores in "heavily religious areas" tend to sit on stuff for years.

I'm always on the lookout for older batches of high west ryes, just because I find them to be slightly better.

Sounds like urban myths. The High West stuff turns over pretty quickly at the stores I use. 

Regards, Jim

3 hours ago, hawkeye62 said:

Sounds like urban myths. The High West stuff turns over pretty quickly at the stores I use. 

Regards, Jim

I see lots of old batch High West Stuff at some places around here, the best thing is those places tend to also be cheaper.

20 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Got lucky at one of the recent lotteries.

1e265c7b7f7eab3d272d7427e92516dd.jpg

Think I'll open on Christmas Day or early after.

Always considered to be the red headed stepchild of BTAC. I quite like it. 

• I like it 1

14 minutes ago, flahute said:

I like it a lot as well. I still don't understand why it's not a regular offering. Six year old barrel proof rye.  They should have tons of it by now.

22 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I like it a lot as well. I still don't understand why it's not a regular offering. Six year old barrel proof rye.  They should have tons of it by now.

Fair question. 

If I was to put my wishing cap on, it's so they can wait to have enough stock to make THH something older, say 10-11 years. 

Then, you could have Sazerac Rye and Sazerac Barrel Proof Rye in the regularly available portfolio.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, flahute said:

4 hours ago, Clueby said:

I love THH.  True they must have tons of 6 year rye, but I'm assuming they don't have unlimited supplies of honey barrels like these.  Still, you'd think they could easily have stretched the age of the barrels well past 6 years by now.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.