Purchased any new rye lately? (Fall 2017)

bourbon4all
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

14 hours ago, flahute said:

Always considered to be the red headed stepchild of BTAC. I quite like it. 

I always thought of THH as the juvenile delinquent of the bunch! ER17 always seemed to me to be the red headed stepchild. So much so that it was all but ignored in production this year. Wasn't barrel proof, wasn't a wheater, wasn't a rye. Just the poor weaker  unloved cousin of GTS.

I love THH.  True they must have tons of 6 year rye, but I'm assuming they don't have unlimited supplies of honey barrels like these.  Still, you'd think they could easily have stretched the age of the barrels well past 6 years by now.

I tend to think there must be a reason they offer this at 6yrs and agree at this point they could offer this at a higher age if wanted.

For me I would of taken WLW or GTS over THH but it's not a distant third for me and I'd take it over ER17 and even previous year tanked Saz.

THH is always consistently reviewed high. Jim Murray ranked it his top Rye for the year for whatever that's worth. I did a whiskey tasting in Dublin with the guy that literally wrote the book on Irish Pot Still, teaches a college course on whiskey history. Really passionate guy on all variety of whiskey and has a much better palate the. I do. He was asked what his top 5 whiskeys where and he had THH, GTS along with a couple of scotches and one Irish whiskey.
  • I like it 1

2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I always thought of THH as the juvenile delinquent of the bunch! ER17 always seemed to me to be the red headed stepchild. So much so that it was all but ignored in production this year. Wasn't barrel proof, wasn't a wheater, wasn't a rye. Just the poor weaker  unloved cousin of GTS.

Interesting take!

However you term it, whenever I've seen people have to choose, ER17 and THH always go last after the other three and ER17 usually goes next because for most the 17yr factor trumps the barrel proof rye factor due to it's younger age.

Interesting take!
However you term it, whenever I've seen people have to choose, ER17 and THH always go last after the other three and ER17 usually goes next because for most the 17yr factor trumps the barrel proof rye factor due to it's younger age.

Unless you’ve already gotten lucky this year and picked up several GTS, but no THH and you finally get a chance to get a couple bottles of THH. That happened to me this weekend, and I picked the THH over GTS since I hadn’t found any THH yet this year. I actually passed on one Saz18 in favor of the THH as well. The WLW was already gone or that would have been my first choice. It still worked out in the end too because I ended up leaving with 2 THH and another GTS. It was a good weekend raffle...luckier than I normally am with these things!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting take!

Wonder if matters on the year, number of bottles released that year as well reviews. The reviews I've seen on the ER17 aren't that great this year but people are after it due the limited number of bottles.

39 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Wonder if matters on the year, number of bottles released that year as well reviews. The reviews I've seen on the ER17 aren't that great this year but people are after it due the limited number of bottles.

Everyone has a different criteria they use to rank them, so, all of the above.

THH's orange packaging qualify it to be the ginger of the group, IMO.

I finally took possession of my lone BTAC score, a bottle of Saz18 that I got in BevMo's annual limited edition sale. I was hoping this would be the year I'd get a WLW but I can't complain about a Saz18. It will be enjoyed.

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, Kpiz said:

I finally took possession of my lone BTAC score, a bottle of Saz18 that I got in BevMo's annual limited edition sale. I was hoping this would be the year I'd get a WLW but I can't complain about a Saz18. It will be enjoyed.

Well, your bottle is the prettiest of the BTAC

• I like it 2

• 4 weeks later...

Picked up a Booker's Rye today. A friend alerted me of the bottle and I went and picked it up.

We recently started a Whiskey Club to do tastings, so this will be included in the first tasting.

• I like it 3

43 minutes ago, KyleCBreese said:

Picked up a Booker's Rye today. A friend alerted me of the bottle and I went and picked it up.

We recently started a Whiskey Club to do tastings, so this will be included in the first tasting.

It is really spectacular, enjoy that one, if I found one I would have a hard time not buying it. 

• I like it 1

While enjoying the holidaze in Florida (which was a change in plans but I digress), I stumbled across these, at great prices.

I know, I know Bruce!!! I told you I wasn't doing the Owl, and then I was in Louisville and they were selling tastes for 7 bucks, and it was goddamned delicious.

I think I still have more willpower than Bruce, but I didn't prove it well in this case...

IMG_0322.JPG

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

While enjoying the holidaze in Florida (which was a change in plans but I digress), I stumbled across these, at great prices.

I know, I know Bruce!!! I told you I wasn't doing the Owl, and then I was in Louisville and they were selling tastes for 7 bucks, and it was goddamned delicious.

I think I still have more willpower than Bruce, but I didn't prove it well in this case...

IMG_0322.JPG

What is the going price for these in Florida?

19 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

A perfect six-pack for traveling!

And Paul, just about everyone has more willpower than I do so the bar is set pretty low! B)

• I like it 3

Late to the party on this one but as  I REALLY  enjoyed my several tastes of WP 10/100 , when I heard of the single barrel cask strength edition, I figured I’d get one (that and a couple hundred bucks that came my way to use as I saw fit). Well as I only caught wind of the SBs a couple weeks ago even though it came out a long time ago, it seemed like anyplace that had em  sold out over the holidays, except for 1 store with not 1 but 2 SBs. I bought the barrel #1, the more traditional rye of the 2 if tasting notes are to be believed. This one is  also autographed by DP, same price so what the hell and by most accounts these SBs are some pretty fine whiskey so high hopes for this one.

On 1/16/2018 at 3:56 AM, Madhatter said:

What is the going price for these in Florida?

120 for the owls, 80 for the Drams.

18 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

120 for the owls, 80 for the Drams.

Damn those are good prices. I finally gave in to temptation following your recent positive review and bought an owl. $140 at K&L.

Also forgot I bought this little guy at Hedonism wines in London. I think it's the first WP rye private selection I've seen over 120 proof, and also the first one I've seen bottled in the 50ml format.

5a60d84243882_WPRye.thumb.jpg.c6c13c7b55bea44fc756337478921864.jpg

• I like it 3

On 1/18/2018 at 7:25 AM, Kpiz said:

Damn those are good prices. I finally gave in to temptation following your recent positive review and bought an owl. $140 at K&L.

Also forgot I bought this little guy at Hedonism wines in London. I think it's the first WP rye private selection I've seen over 120 proof, and also the first one I've seen bottled in the 50ml format.

5a60d84243882_WPRye.thumb.jpg.c6c13c7b55bea44fc756337478921864.jpg

Oh man that's great, surprising to see a SB in a mini. If you like the higher proof WPSBs, Stagecoach has a 120 and The Wine and Cheese Place has a 117. Both stores have 110s as well.

• I like it 1

On 12/9/2017 at 10:03 PM, hawkeye62 said:

I assume you have the Straight Rye and not the 18th Century Rye? It is hard to compare a barely legal rye like Pikesville with a 100% malted rye like Old Potrero. They are two completely different whiskeys. I like both, but, they are as different as single malt scotch and bourbon.

Regards, Jim    

Jim,

I have been thinking about this ever since I fell into the Old Potrero rabbit hole, one I have now nearly filled with Old Potrero. I don't disagree at all with what you have stated. What I am not not clear on is how and why the differences between the two types of Rye might affect preference issues. I realize that the Old Potrero 18 the Century and the Pikesville are made differently and are composed differently. I cannot get the Straight Rye here in Virginia although that may be changing soon. I guess my question is even assuming and understanding their differences, is it not possible to compare them even if only on the basis of personal preference in terms of taste? Also, which of the two, the Old Potrero and the PIkesville would you say "should" be more attractive understanding that attraction would be subjective?

Just picked up a bottle of the Jack Daniel's Rye. Very tasty, but doesn't have much of the traditional rye kick even with the 70% mashbill. I think most of the bottle will be consumed neat or with a cube and not in a cocktail.

While at home recovering from back surgery, my wife totally surprised me with Knob Creek rye and a mini Bulleit. She is helping build my stash just as much as I do these days!

20180131_112904.jpg

• I like it 2

Found this locally this week. Almost talked myself out of it, at $130, but no buyers remorse here given my love for Ryes.

GKwN9I3.jpg

Not a purchase but the neighbor didn’t care for it, so he sent it home with me, insisted I take it.
3422511f0104a338f0ae4c1875250f4e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.