Purchased any new rye lately? (Fall 2017)

bourbon4all
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

25 minutes ago, Golferpimp1 said:

Not a purchase but the neighbor didn’t care for it, so he sent it home with me, insisted I take it.

Having tried it I can perhaps understand why your neighbor didn't like it... :wacko:

56 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

Picked up 3 bottles of HWRR from 2014 on sale for $30 each. 

A3EB6B96-6FFD-4C71-AA4D-96528E0C21F1.thumb.jpeg.d07bc5d92fa1e833b533b61969e9251d.jpeg

You done good

I bought a bottle of A.D. Laws Secale Straight Rye BIB today at a price point that is competitive with the pricing on CEHT Straight Rye BIB. I opened it in the store and tasted it with the owner and manager. We all agreed that it’s a pretty good Rye. Further research is in order, but I continue to be impressed with the A.D. Laws Distillery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

I bought a bottle of A.D. Laws Secale Straight Rye BIB today at a price point that is competitive with the pricing on CEHT Straight Rye BIB. I opened it in the store and tasted it with the owner and manager. We all agreed that it’s a pretty good Rye. Further research is in order, but I continue to be impressed with the A.D. Laws Distillery.

High praise indeed for a relatively young whiskey. I presume it is not much beyond 4 years. Craft distilleries don't always seem to be able to match the big boys with their distillate (like Rittenhouse BIB) even when it is the same age. Although I don't know for certain how old the CEHT rye is. I have presumed it was older (at least 6-8yo if not more but that is strictly a guess). Curious that they would copy the classic MGP rye mash bill but if it works it works I suppose.

High praise indeed for a relatively young whiskey. I presume it is not much beyond 4 years. Craft distilleries don't always seem to be able to match the big boys with their distillate (like Rittenhouse BIB) even when it is the same age. Although I don't know for certain how old the CEHT rye is. I have presumed it was older (at least 6-8yo if not more but that is strictly a guess). Curious that they would copy the classic MGP rye mash bill but if it works it works I suppose.

Well, I don't know if my opinion is high praise or not, but A.D. Laws is making some pretty interesting stuff at 4 years of age, and I look forward to older stuff as time goes by. They are still a bit pricey, as most craft distillers are, but I suspect their pricing will get more competitive in the future.

In regards to CEHT Rye, your guess on age is probably correct, so you certainly get an older Rye for the same money with CEHT. Maybe I'll bring the A.D. Laws BIB bottles that I have to Bardstown in April to get some other opinions.

On 12/9/2017 at 10:03 PM, hawkeye62 said:

I assume you have the Straight Rye and not the 18th Century Rye? It is hard to compare a barely legal rye like Pikesville with a 100% malted rye like Old Potrero. They are two completely different whiskeys. I like both, but, they are as different as single malt scotch and bourbon.

Regards, Jim    

Jim,

I happened upon the Old Potrero Straight Rye accidentally yesterday. In my quest to stockpile some more 18th Century style rye, the local ABC got me some of the straight rye because they have them confused under the same item code. I accepted them anyway, interested based upon what I had read here, and tried the non-18th century version last night. It was perfectly sippable but no competition for the 18th century version. Lesson learned.

Regards,

Warren

8 hours ago, Ace1943 said:

Jim,

I happened upon the Old Potrero Straight Rye accidentally yesterday. In my quest to stockpile some more 18th Century style rye, the local ABC got me some of the straight rye because they have them confused under the same item code. I accepted them anyway, interested based upon what I had read here, and tried the non-18th century version last night. It was perfectly sippable but no competition for the 18th century version. Lesson learned.

Regards,

Warren

Yeah, always quest for what you like, not what someone else likes.

Regards, Jim 

On 2/15/2018 at 9:26 PM, Crazyrican said:

Bought these for $29.99 each669efcad8e98a544edf0f2456c6650eb.jpg

Enviado desde mi SM-G935P mediante Tapatalk

Nice, these are $65 here. I would have cleared the shelf at $30. One of my favorite ryes.

Thanks! It is one of my favorites too. Usually is around $60 here in the Tampa, Fl area.

Nice, these are $65 here. I would have cleared the shelf at $30. One of my favorite ryes.
Thanks! It is one of my favorites too. Usually is around $60 here in the Tampa, Fl area. Thanks! It is one of my favorites too. Usually is around $60 here in the Tampa, Fl area.
This is the where I bought it.

www.cpdwineliquor.com

Enviado desde mi SM-G935P mediante Tapatalk

• I like it 1

• 3 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, beasled said:

Good week so far. 

Screenshot_20180307-132713.jpg

wow... I'd say so

Why do some ryes come off really sweet but most are a bit more spicy?

Why the vast difference? I know cask changes flavor but should anything else be the reason?

Why do some ryes come off really sweet but most are a bit more spicy?

Why the vast difference? I know cask changes flavor but should anything else be the reason?

The biggest difference between many Ryes is the mashbill. The really sweet ones that you are referring to are probably the lower rye mashbill ryes, which can be as low as 51% rye. The mashbill for a Rye must be at least 51% rye, but you will find them from 51% to 100% rye.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

While looking through the lower shelves at a nearby "wine and spirits"  department of a Missouri supermarket, i found some baby Saz hanging out, trying to be inconspicuous. Since Wednesday is almost always Rye Day in my house, I had to warm up the Visa for one of those.

• I like it 1

Hit a truck stop in Louisiana and came across this.  Figured I'd take it home since it was all alone in the back of the bottom shelf.  

IMG_1115.jpg

• I like it 1

23 hours ago, mikeydk said:

Hit a truck stop in Louisiana and came across this.  Figured I'd take it home since it was all alone in the back of the bottom shelf.  

IMG_1115.jpg

Louisiana truck stops, where you can find good bourbon and sometimes a "lot lizard"......

• I like it 1

10 minutes ago, jvd99 said:

I think these are new - I passed though 

1A2BFB0D-A132-4BB5-8820-A5AB24DDFD9E.jpeg

They are, can't wait until someone gets one here, really looking forward to this one.

• I like it 1

On 3/14/2018 at 2:26 PM, kevinbrink said:

They are, can't wait until someone gets one here, really looking forward to this one.

Just tasted three samples of KC rye sent to my favorite store for consideration of a barrel pick (We offered to go up there but they sent samples instead). All a little over 5 years and while fine nothing stood out. Maybe Binny's gets better samples. 

We also got KC bourbon samples and two of those were excellent (a 10 and 14yo although the 10 was the slight favorite over the 14). Selling a barrel of rye would certainly be tougher than bourbon so we are going to try to do 2 bourbon barrels if we can. 

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Just tasted three samples of KC rye sent to my favorite store for consideration of a barrel pick (We offered to go up there but they sent samples instead). All a little over 5 years and while fine nothing stood out. Maybe Binny's gets better samples. 

We also got KC bourbon samples and two of those were excellent (a 10 and 14yo although the 10 was the slight favorite over the 14). Selling a barrel of rye would certainly be tougher than bourbon so we are going to try to do 2 bourbon barrels if we can. 

Out of curiosity how do you feel about KC 100 proof rye? 

10 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Out of curiosity how do you feel about KC 100 proof rye? 

I find it a perfectly serviceable rye but it isn't generally the rye I would reach for first. Baby Saz, EHT rye and Russell's Reserve rye  along with Pikesville for a little more proof tend to fill that bill!

Was hoping to find something that stood out from the regular shelf bottle but the three samples seemed like they weren't that much different from the regular shelf bottle except for proof. 

2 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I find it a perfectly serviceable rye but it isn't generally the rye I would reach for first. Baby Saz, EHT rye and Russell's Reserve rye  along with Pikesville for a little more proof tend to fill that bill!

Was hoping to find something that stood out from the regular shelf bottle but the three samples seemed like they weren't that much different from the regular shelf bottle except for proof. 

Gotcha, I tend to like KC Rye almost as much as RR SB Rye and Pikesville and prefer it to CEHT Rye and way more than Baby Saz so all hope is not lost for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Had to pounce on the first KCSB Rye I've seen around here, $47.99+tax. I plan on opening it this week and will share my first impressions.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.