Bottle for special work event

squarre
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have a big work promotion coming up  in a few weeks. I want to treat myself to a “special” bottle when it happens. Looking for recommendations. I know there isn’t a “right answer” but wanted to get everyone’s thoughts. If it helps, Jefferson Reserve is one of my favorites.  

If Jefferson Rye is one of your favorites that one gets my vote. You know what you like better than we do. Only giving one bottle as a reference really does not help, so the field is wide open. Pappy 23 maybe?

1 hour ago, DeepCover said:

What's your price range?

No specific price range. 

As for others I like, I’m not too picky. I do also like Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace, and Bookers. I’m far from the most knowledgeable or experienced. 

2 minutes ago, squarre said:

No specific price range. 

As for others I like, I’m not too picky. I do also like Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace, and Bookers. I’m far from the most knowledgeable or experienced. 

george t stagg time? but Im biased

8 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Totally agree with FasterHorses. This and a set of authentic limited addition Elvis collectors plates from the Franklin Mint will get you done. Total cost is just under 2k for everything. 

If Jefferson Reserve is your favorite stick with that. 

8 hours ago, squarre said:

No specific price range. 

Since you already like a couple of Buffalo Trace products, might I suggest some of their Mashbill #2 products like Blanton's, Elmer T. Lee, or Hancock's Presidential Reserve?  They are not as easy to find as Eagle Rare or Buffalo Trace, but they would be a special bottle if you have never had one before and don't break the bank either.

A bottle of EWSB to match your 'important date', though you'll have to wait for one that shows that exact bottling date to wend it's way through the pipeline.

8 hours ago, squarre said:

No specific price range. 

How can you have no price range when we all operate with budgets. Unless of course you’re Bill Gates and if you were you wouldn’t be listing common everyday bourbons with a max price of $65.

Pass.

You mentioned liking BT so . . . since I'm a Mash Bill #2 whore I would suggest any of those (Hancock's President's Reserve, ETL, Blanton's or RHF).  If money is not an issue then any of the BTAC releases (especially GTS) if you can find them would be nice.

I would get th

e Knobs Creek 25th anniversary. Wonderful bourbon, and a cool story for a special occasion. 

I would opt for something that you have been eyeing but felt was too expensive.  However, I would make sure it is something with a solid distillery lineage.  Maybe a nice store select that you can try first.  

Just blindly naming names...I like the suggestion of a BT Mashbill #2 bourbon (e.g., Blanton's).  Bakers, Bookers and KCSB are solid options.  

any of the ceht options as they all come in the tube which to some could seem like a presentation device or more like an expensive scotch.

On 10/28/2017 at 10:06 PM, squarre said:

I have a big work promotion coming up  in a few weeks. I want to treat myself to a “special” bottle when it happens. Looking for recommendations. I know there isn’t a “right answer” but wanted to get everyone’s thoughts. If it helps, Jefferson Reserve is one of my favorites.  

If you've been doing this for very long at all, you must have a few that you've seen in the LS or heard about that interest you... see the BOTM thread and read the reviews of some of the ones you've been thinking about. Use the search function and read about your prospective purchases. There're a lot of bourbons out there that could fit your parameter of "special"... This time of year, for a work promotion celebration I'd definitely be shooting for a BTAC, PHC 11yr Cask, EC18... those are all coming out now and definitely fit the "Special" category. Happy Hunting and Congrats on the promotion!

Edited by JTaylor

I'd say Rock Hill Farms or Blanton's, seeing as how you like Eagle Rare and Buffao Trace.

Cheers! Joe

I’m going to suggest something else. Wild Turkey Masters Keep.

Pricey, yes. Special, check. Delicious, absolutely!!

Plus, cool box to boot, since you’re talking special. Adds the extra ooh and ah factor if people are also going to see it

B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I like it 3

Thanks for all of the suggestions and recommendations. I’m definitely not turning down others. 

Pappy 23 or maybe Yamazaki Sherry Cask 2013, I hear those are okay.

Edited by EarthQuake

14 hours ago, BFerguson said:

I’m going to suggest something else. Wild Turkey Masters Keep.

Pricey, yes. Special, check. Delicious, absolutely!!

Plus, cool box to boot, since you’re talking special. Adds the extra ooh and ah factor if people are also going to see it

B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice rec, from Mr Ferguson.  This is a gem of a whiskey that flew well under the radar due to its low proof which caused it to be dismissed by many in the enthusiast community.  But, I thought it was extraordinary.  Plus, like BF says, it has great presentation.  Still on shelves around here.

• I like it 1

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, squarre said:

So I made partner at work and now need to make my choice.

Go with Master's Keep.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.