High Octane! How do you rank Barrel Proof Bourbons?

EarthQuake
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This is like picking a favorite child.

I don't think there's much value in saying "I loved this bottle that there was only <200 of and you'll never get to try it", so what I'll say is:

-There are barrel proof non-chill filtered whiskeys (and rums and single malts for that matter), and then there is everything else. I will always be a barrel proof customer and advocate.

-One of the best things about BP bottles is that I always eyeball the splashes of water I put in them, and this randomness of downproofing tends to bring out a range of new flavor experiences that I wouldn't get if I had a drinking-proof bottle that was the same thing every time. It still surprises me how many people don't add water to stuff above 115-120 proof ! But I expect the same people always want to have the hottest hot sauce, etc.

-While bottles don't make much sense to laud as individuals, I can rank producers and explain why:

1. BT - Stagg and WLW, 'nuff said. Starting in something like 2000, when this just wasn't done. The godfathers. (Edit - this award ACTUALLY goes to Booker's which was first released to the public in 19-get-down-88! Very impressive and I didn't know that.

2. Willett - A hard statement, and one which must be qualified. Their older bottlings, which aren't their distillate, were not only legendary in flavor, but also significantly helped grow the movement of barrel proof cask selections. Have to appreciate them for that. The fact that they're silly priced now, we're not yet sure if their new make can maintain their legacy, and that they're more interested now in wedding planning than getting beyond 50 barrels a day makes this an uncomfortable endorsement in 2017.

3. 4R - Sheer variety of flavors, availability (for those willing to drive), quality, and value for money is astounding.

4. SA - I almost made this #5 due to the deafening silence of their barrel selection program. A tragic sabbatical which I hope is over soon.

5. Beam - Booker's and KC120 (technically not barrel proof, but let's be real, it's damned close) - These whiskeys turned me into a Beam fan, which 3yrs ago I didn't think was on the cards. But I still ain't paying no 80 bucks for no Booker's unless they get it to at least 10yrs old.

Conspicuously absent is WT, because I haven't yet had an OMG bottle of RRSB. I feel the same way about ECBP at present, and can't wait to be proved wrong by either or both ASAP.

Edited by The Black Tot
  • I like it 2

Of what I've had here are my rankings

ECBP B517

RB 116.8

RB 112.8

1792 FP PS

MM CS

KC SiB 120 

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

This is like picking a favorite child.

I don't think there's much value in saying "I loved this bottle that there was only <200 of and you'll never get to try it", so what I'll say is:

-There are barrel proof non-chill filtered whiskeys (and rums and single malts for that matter), and then there is everything else. I will always be a barrel proof customer and advocate.

-One of the best things about BP bottles is that I always eyeball the splashes of water I put in them, and this randomness of downproofing tends to bring out a range of new flavor experiences that I wouldn't get if I had a drinking-proof bottle that was the same thing every time. It still surprises me how many people don't add water to stuff above 115-120 proof ! But I expect the same people always want to have the hottest hot sauce, etc.

-While bottles don't make much sense to laud as individuals, I can rank producers and explain why:

1. BT - Stagg and WLW, 'nuff said. Starting in something like 2000, when this just wasn't done. The godfathers. (Edit - this award ACTUALLY goes to Booker's which was first released to the public in 19-get-down-88! Very impressive and I didn't know that.

2. Willett - A hard statement, and one which must be qualified. Their older bottlings, which aren't their distillate, were not only legendary in flavor, but also significantly helped grow the movement of barrel proof cask selections. Have to appreciate them for that. The fact that they're silly priced now, we're not yet sure if their new make can maintain their legacy, and that they're more interested now in wedding planning than getting beyond 50 barrels a day makes this an uncomfortable endorsement in 2017.

3. 4R - Sheer variety of flavors, availability (for those willing to drive), quality, and value for money is astounding.

4. SA - I almost made this #5 due to the deafening silence of their barrel selection program. A tragic sabbatical which I hope is over soon.

5. Beam - Booker's and KC120 (technically not barrel proof, but let's be real, it's damned close) - These whiskeys turned me into a Beam fan, which 3yrs ago I didn't think was on the cards. But I still ain't paying no 80 bucks for no Booker's unless they get it to at least 10yrs old.

Conspicuously absent is WT, because I haven't yet had an OMG bottle of RRSB. I feel the same way about ECBP at present, and can't wait to be proved wrong by either or both ASAP.

I like this strategy though my rankings would be different

17 hours ago, Charlutz said:

My own list looks like everyone else’s: GTS, WLW, THH, Blanton’s SFTB, Stagg Jr., ECBP and Booker’s. But... where is the SAOS in this thread? Nobody?  Not even the Sarah bottles? :D

Well, I don't feel like nobody but maybe I am in for a rude awakening... :o

23 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I don't know that I would even want to try to rank them as each have had their own unique charms. I thought the very first batch of ECBP (don't recall the proof) was pretty darn remarkable and a rival for any of the others I have had. The 2 SB.com HHSS was also way up there. Various FR PS bottles as well as the various annual LE's from FR have been right up there as well. I also had a barrel pick from my store of Old Scout (Barrel #666, the Highway to Hell bottle!) that was pretty remarkable as well. The PHC Wheated was also pretty remarkable.

GTS and WLW are pretty consistently excellent when I can find them although I haven't tried the newest GTS yet and I haven't even seen a WLW for the last couple of years.

14 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Well, I don't feel like nobody but maybe I am in for a rude awakening... :o

Sorry Bruce! Poor reading on my part. Even still, with all the love SAOS SB gets around here, I would’ve expected others to be there with you. 

• I like it 2

2 minutes ago, Charlutz said:

Sorry Bruce! Poor reading on my part. Even still, with all the love SAOS SB gets around here, I would’ve expected others to be there with you. 

I think it's mostly that they've been out of mind lately, as their single barrels have been out of sight. It's an honest omission.

• I like it 1

9 minutes ago, Charlutz said:

I always looked at them as a great value, but I definitely have not had one that beats the Beam/HH/WT barrel proofs.  I tend to like them a bit more than Stagg Jr. and CEHT BP. 4R some are better some are worse, I don't see much point in adding LE's into the conversation.

• I like it 1

SOAS is one that I want to try. Earlier this year it seemed to be everywhere but now that I'm interested in getting a bottle it seems to have disappeared. I'll probably pick up a Belle Meade barrel proof before the end of the year instead.

• I like it 1

• 3 weeks later...

1. William Larue Weller

2. George Theodore Stagg

3. Four Roses SMBLE 2016

4. Parker’s Heritage 11

5. Four Roses Elliot’s

6. Elijah Craig Barrel Proof batch B/Blantons SFTB

7. Old Forester 1920

8. Tie between various Four Roses Private Select Barrel proofs and Knob Creek 120

9. Bulleit Barrel Proof

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I like it 2

• 4 months later...

I've had a good few barrel proof bourbons recently, so here's my updated list:

1. George T Stagg (2015 or 2016, can't remember, had at a bar)
  2. Stagg Jr Batch 7/8/9
  3. CEHT BP 127
  4. Four Roses Elliot's Select OESK 14 years
  5. Four Roses OBSK Ace store pick 115 9 years 3 months
  6. Four Roses Small Batch LE 2016 111
  7. Numerous ~9 year FRPS (OESK, OESF, OESQ, OBSF)
  8. Bulleit Barrel Strength 10 year #5
  9. Knotter Bros 10 year (MGP low rye)
  10. Knob Creek SB Ace store pick 12 years
  11. OF 1920 115
  12. Bookers (multiple batches)
  13. WLW 2015
  14. Wild Turkey Rare Breed
  15. Elijah Craig BP batch 12 136
  16. Maker's Mark CS
  17. Barrel 08b George Dickel 128
Edited by EarthQuake

Did a blind tasting of my 4 favorite (that I have) barrel proofers a few weeks ago with my wife. The line up was WLW 2017, Stagg Jr. batch 8 129.5p, ECBP C917, and Booker's 2016-3 'Toogie's invitation'.

Her order of preference was ECBP, WLW, Stagg Jr. then Booker's

My order of preference was WLW, ECBP, Stagg Jr. then Booker's.  The Booker's was easiest to pick out followed by the WLW.  I didn't guess right on the other two.  The WLW had way more complexity than the others with sweet fruity notes of pear and peach that I've not found in any other bourbon.  The Stagg Jr. is a caramel bomb on the nose and the ECBP had more spicy/woody flavors which I mistakenly attributed more to the Stagg.  The Booker's, while very good, was outclassed in this group. 

Small sample size, I know, but, all in all, a very fun evening...

1) George T. Stagg - Its my favorite bourbon of all time, specifically 2007/2011

2) Willett WFE 20+yr wheaters -

3) WLW

4) Other Willett WFE bourbons (some bottles wouldn't even make my top 50..but I'll just say on average they would be my 4th)

4) ECBP

5) SAOS, OKI,...MGP private barrel picks

6) Stagg Jr

GTS.jpg

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, ThirstyinOhio said:

GTS.jpg

You can't be all that thirsty....regardless of your screen name.

:P

• I like it 1

7 minutes ago, ThirstyinOhio said:

1) George T. Stagg - Its my favorite bourbon of all time, specifically 2007/2011

3) WLW

4) Other Willett WFE bourbons (some bottles wouldn't even make my top 50..but I'll just say on average they would be my 4th)

4) ECBP

6) Stagg Jr

GTS.jpg

Literally drooling right now ! 

3 hours ago, ThirstyinOhio said:

3) WLW

4) ECBP

6) Stagg Jr

GTS.jpg

I like the OKI in there. I’ve never seen it mentioned on this site.  Hard to compare because some of their barrel proofs are only 97 proof. How did you acquire all those Staggs! Especially living in Ohio where the good stuff is hard to come by!

Going off of what I have tasted multiple times and not just a random pour in a bar:

1. George T. Stagg 2012 142.8

2. Stagg Jr Batch 5 129.7

3. Elijah Craig B517 122.2

4. Booker’s Oven Buster 2015-04 127.0

There’s a lot more in my collection I can’t wait to get to: GTS 2014, Stagg Jr. batch 1 & 6, ECBP batch 11, Little Book, SAOS SiB 10yr, EHTBP, WLW 2017, THH 2013 & 2017, FRBS OESV, Bulleit batch 2, and Blanton’s SFTB.

I love high proof bourbon.

17 hours ago, uncork_it_already said:

There’s a lot more in my collection I can’t wait to get to: Stagg Jr. batch 1 & 6, 

I love high proof bourbon.

Just a heads up for ya'. The general consensus of Stagg Jr. Batch #1 is that it was a "hot mess" and not very good. It almost turned me off Stagg Jr altogether. If not for having a pour of Batch #3 at a bar, I'd have missed out on some good bourbons. IMHO, everything from Batch #3 on has been pretty good if not great. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

22 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Just a heads up for ya'. The general consensus of Stagg Jr. Batch #1 is that it was a "hot mess" and not very good. It almost turned me off Stagg Jr altogether. If not for having a pour of Batch #3 at a bar, I'd have missed out on some good bourbons. IMHO, everything from Batch #3 on has been pretty good if not great. 

I still have 2 more batch 1's to survive, but I believe ya!

On April 17, 2018 at 7:00 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

So I've heard. I've never read any reviews of it after its been uncorked for awhile. Hope it opens up after a bit of oxidation.

Either way, not that in a rush to open it. Maybe i'll just leave it be for a decade and go at it then. It's gotta be at least 4 years already, no?

I've really enjoyed the various batches I've tasted, and didn't notice an incredible difference between any (I believe I've tasted 4, maybe 5). Some were definitely better than others, but they all tasted like similar juice. So I wonder how different it could really be to batch 2 and 3, both of which I've tasted and enjoyed.

8 minutes ago, uncork_it_already said:

So I've heard. I've never read any reviews of it after its been uncorked for awhile. Hope it opens up after a bit of oxidation.

Either way, not that in a rush to open it. Maybe i'll just leave it be for a decade and go at it then. It's gotta be at least 4 years already, no?

I've really enjoyed the various batches I've tasted, and didn't notice an incredible difference between any (I believe I've tasted 4, maybe 5). Some were definitely better than others, but they all tasted like similar juice. So I wonder how different it could really be to batch 2 and 3, both of which I've tasted and enjoyed.

^^^^^Well, since you're wondering... open it up and find out. 

Personally, I found it to be hot as ****... an unbalanced, one dimensional, earthen hades! 

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

^^^^^Well, since you're wondering... open it up and find out. 

Personally, I found it to be hot as ****... an unbalanced, one dimensional, earthen hades! 

In time, I definitely will.

Considering I still have a Stagg Jr I'm working on, there are other bottles I'd like to get to. Next barrel proof is either STFB or EHTBP.

I found the same with batch 1 of the EHT.  Like Stagg Jr., subsequent batches have struck me more favorably, thank God!:o

Oh man there's some good ones out there. Honestly though I'm a fairly cheap date

1. EC b517 is the best to me

2. WTRB

3. KC120

2 & 3 are basically a tie

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.