What Beer Are You Drinking Fall/Winter 2017-'18

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

New thread as we head into cooler months. Picked up a Backwoods Bastard and relaxing with it after a long but fruitful day in the plastics biz.  :D  The thing about this beer, and most of these big Barrel Aged beers, is that I love the first 6 ounces, and trudge through the last 6 ounces.  The thick,  heavy, sweet coconutty chocolate thing is wonderful to start, but ends up just being  too much of a good thing.  How about using 7 ounce Little Kings bottles, I say!!!

I'd probably still oat the same ridiculous price for the smaller 4 pack...;)

IMG_4253.JPG

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

New thread as we head into cooler months. Picked up a Backwoods Bastard and relaxing with it after a long but fruitful day in the plastics biz.  :D  The thing about this beer, and most of these big Barrel Aged beers, is that I love the first 6 ounces, and trudge through the last 6 ounces.  The thick,  heavy, sweet coconutty chocolate thing is wonderful to start, but ends up just being  too much of a good thing.  How about using 7 ounce Little Kings bottles, I say!!!

I'd probably still oat the same ridiculous price for the smaller 4 pack...;)

Flat 12 does a Russian Imperial Stout in 8 oz can six-packs which I think would be perfect for your high octane barrel aged beauties such as Backwoods Bastard:

]1496946638568

Barrel aged stuff is good to share. Luckily I have a fellow lush for a wife.

We're enjoying one of these right now. Like everything Firestone does including this barleywine Helldorado.

b62b42ea7415a10cfc4d07aa86718eba.jpg

On 11/3/2017 at 7:06 AM, Dravin said:

Flat 12 does a Russian Imperial Stout in 8 oz can six-packs which I think would be perfect for your high octane barrel aged beauties such as Backwoods Bastard:

]1496946638568

Those guys are brilliant!!!  :D

I really have no ambition to do anything today, so I'm just gonna sit around, have a coupla beers, and watch football.  First up is a Deschutes Bkack Butte Porter.

IMG_4276.JPG

21 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

We're enjoying one of these right now. Like everything Firestone does including this barleywine Helldorado.

I couldnt save it any longer.  Had to get into the 2017 velvet merkin I picked up the other day.  Man I wish I could get a hold of these more often...as in all the time.  best barrel aged stout I have put my lips on.  lol

IMAG1857.jpg

now a complete switch up to a sour style beer.

Odell's Friek: rasberry & cherry sour ale. 

Not typically my style of beer, but this brand comes out with some great stuff.  This one reminds me of a sour patch kid candy.  Would be even closer to that if I would have rimmed the glass with sugar.  I can not stop going back for another drink. great beer.  great color on it too.

IMAG1872.jpg

A couple of rather pedestrian micros in my fridge this week. 

Some River Horse Hipp-O-Lantern and Weyerbacher Merry Monks Tripel. 

The River Horse is my personal favorite pumpkin beer; which I love for Fall. 

The Weyerbacker Tripel is nice, a bit sweeter than the Victory with a bit more baking spice.  It is complimenting this half pour of English Harbour 5 yo Rum nicely. 

Waiting for the cowboys game to start, sitting outside, went swimming (first time in november ever I think - not a heated pool), sipping a shiner, smelling the smoke of the chicken in the smoker, pretty nice little sunday.

Chappy that sour ale looks good and I agree on Firestone try to pick up any of there offerings whenever I see it.

1 hour ago, HoustonNit said:

Chappy that sour ale looks good and I agree on Firestone try to pick up any of there offerings whenever I see it.

It was great.  I will be looking for some more soon.

Findings today.

This kind of makes up for me going to the brewery back in June and the line was wrapped around the block. In turn, decided to leave.

unnamed-1.thumb.jpg.c875bfe1375d0b2bc95bbed2c39b279f.jpg

10 hours ago, Government Beard said:

Findings today.

This kind of makes up for me going to the brewery back in June and the line was wrapped around the block. In turn, decided to leave.

aahhhh, the stuff we NEVER get in Texas.  enjoy   super jealous. lol

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, Government Beard said:

Findings today.

unnamed-1.thumb.jpg.c875bfe1375d0b2bc95bbed2c39b279f.jpg

Excellent!  Enjoy!

• I like it 1

16 hours ago, Government Beard said:

Findings today.

The same thing has happened to me the last two times I tried to stop into the RR brewery. I don't think I'll even try anymore unless I go on a non-holiday weekday.

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, Kpiz said:

The same thing has happened to me the last two times I tried to stop into the RR brewery. I don't think I'll even try anymore unless I go on a non-holiday weekday.

Twice huh? Yeah, what a buzz kill. Drove way out of the way to stop for a few beers and didn't even end up getting out of the car.

13 hours ago, Government Beard said:

Twice huh? Yeah, what a buzz kill. Drove way out of the way to stop for a few beers and didn't even end up getting out of the car.

That's a bummer indeed. I usually go to drink/buy a couple Consecrations since it rarely (if ever) shows up here anymore. I guess Pliny mania is still alive and well.

• I like it 1

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 3:41 PM, Guss West said:

A couple of rather pedestrian micros in my fridge this week. 

Some River Horse Hipp-O-Lantern and Weyerbacher Merry Monks Tripel. 

The River Horse is my personal favorite pumpkin beer; which I love for Fall. 

The Weyerbacker Tripel is nice, a bit sweeter than the Victory with a bit more baking spice.  It is complimenting this half pour of English Harbour 5 yo Rum nicely. 

With choices like that, you must be at least semi-local, Tripel Horse might be in my top 5 NJ brewed beers, definitely top 10 love me some River Horse as well.

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 5:55 PM, HoustonNit said:

b62b42ea7415a10cfc4d07aa86718eba.jpg

I will never love Helldorado, if only because it replaced my beloved Double DBA

@kevinbrink you don't have to love it but you can still enjoy some nice barrel aged barleywine from Firestone. I'm barleywine guy and really like it.

Ironfire Brewing -  Grapefruit 51/50 IPA

First time having this one. Light and airy IPA with an initial aromatic citrus and a snappy aftertaste. Basically grapefruit peels in a can.

Huzzah.

unnamed-2.thumb.jpg.6486f9d7ea35f6aaab52b61ed72b7e3c.jpg

Edited by Government Beard

One of the better Brown Ales out there.  Plus, I love the graphics on the packaging.   The beer and its packaging are perfect on a rainy, dark, and cool Autumn day.  

IMG_4296.JPG

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.