BOTM 11/17: Pikesville Rye

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Better late than never. :mellow:  I've been gleaning the site for a while now trying to come up with this months BOTM. I finally decided to go with Pikesville Rye after seeing it mentioned a few times recently.

Although I've tried, for whatever reason, I just can't seem to get into ryes much. Over the years I've had a few that I've liked well enough, and Pikesville happens to be one of those. FWIW, I've never bought a bottle, but Vosgar graciously provided me with a nice sized sample some time ago. It really surprised me. I found it pretty darned tasty, and FWIW, the sample he gave me didn't last very long.  :P  I know everyone will be totally disappointed, but that's all I've got to say this time around. As long winded as I can be at times, I hope nobody goes into shock. :lol: 

That's it from me folks, it's your turn now.  Let's hear what y'all have to say about Pikesville Rye.

Cheers! Joe

• I like it 1

One of the best (relatively) new releases in recent memory, and I am glad availability issues around its first release were resolved quickly. I remember buying my first bottle from behind a locked display and worrying that I wouldn't be able to find another one easily.

I find that this is a nice cross between the bourbon-like old Rittenhouse, and the classic MGP pickle.

BOTM = Bottle of the month, from now on I presume?

I call this a very solid choice.  Pikesville 6 year 110 proof is the premium version, or next step up from Rittenhouse BIB.  These ryes are very close to higher rye bourbon (in my opinion).

28 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Well, it's technically not a bourbon...emoji6.png

26 minutes ago, Kane said:

BOTM = Bottle of the month, from now on I presume?

Aw c'mon guys. :mellow: Hell, I could have done Jack Daniels.  Hmmmmmm. Maybe next month. ;) 

Cheers! Joe

• I like it 4

I look at Pikesville as Heaven Hill's acknowledgement of the 'great rye renaissance'.  Their confirmation that rye matters serves as a reward to their customers (many of whom happen to be here at SB), who kept the bottom shelfer Rittenhouse brand afloat by extolling its many virtues... when no one else out there seemed to care, or even know that this whiskey (rye) category still existed.     

• I like it 3

I turn to rye pretty rarely, but this is always one of the bottles I have. The proof on it is perfect and its a nice balance of rich and bold. Im actually having one right now. Nice rye pepperiness without being a real high rye pepper, enough sweetness from high corn, some tree nut (almond?) instead of the peanut some bourbons get and plenty of citrus. Im not great at these flavors but thats what ive got for now.

Damn this is prescient. After reading many here extolling the Pikesville, I noticed it on the shelf at a store in another town I visited a few weeks ago, and had made plans to pick one up next time I’m there (which will be in about a week). I’ve never had the Pikesville yet, or many ryes for that matter, but I’m trying to expand my selection and further educate my palate on flavors, so I’ve neen planning some rye purchases for awhile. At present the only rye I have open is a Willet Family Estate 3 yr, which I’ve been sipping as a nightcap as it provides a very distinct and pleasant change of flavor after a night of bourbon. I presume the Pikesville will be much closer to a bourbon profile though, given it’s barely legal status. Would others agree?

While it’s obviously not identical, I think I’ll pick up a Rittenhouse (which I’ve also never had) tonight to get my tastebuds ready for a Pikesville purchase later this month. In the opinions of any reading this, is the Rittenhouse sippable neat, or better reserved for a cocktail base?

I loves me some Pikesville. I overpaid for it upon its initial release at about $55 per because I was concerned they'd not continue it (regardless of what they said), and I wanted to hedge against the possible discovery that the initial run had been early Rittenhouse era BF rye, etc.

Now that I've heard of it going for as low as 39 in some markets, I'd be thrilled to grab another 12 case and drink it with abandon.

There isn't a better age stated rye option at these proof and price points in the biz. Now I just wish we could find this on bar shelves as ubiquitously as Bulleit. Not without Diageo ramming down distributors throats, I know - but it's a nice dream.

• I like it 1

4 minutes ago, BigSkyDrams said:

Damn this is prescient. After reading many here extolling the Pikesville, I noticed it on the shelf at a store in another town I visited a few weeks ago, and had made plans to pick one up next time I’m there (which will be in about a week). I’ve never had the Pikesville yet, or many ryes for that matter, but I’m trying to expand my selection and further educate my palate on flavors, so I’ve neen planning some rye purchases for awhile. At present the only rye I have open is a Willet Family Estate 3 yr, which I’ve been sipping as a nightcap as it provides a very distinct and pleasant change of flavor after a night of bourbon. I presume the Pikesville will be much closer to a bourbon profile though, given it’s barely legal status. Would others agree?

While it’s obviously not identical, I think I’ll pick up a Rittenhouse (which I’ve also never had) tonight to get my tastebuds ready for a Pikesville purchase later this month. In the opinions of any reading this, is the Rittenhouse sippable neat, or better reserved for a cocktail base?

Start with the Pikesville first and work your way back for your education. Start getting familiar with the better version first - it will move your palate forward the fastest.

• I like it 1

Pikesville is one of my favorite whiskeys. I had a mini dram of it last night. For some unknown reason I’ve been very slowly drinking the open bottle for 7 months. Now that I think about it, it seems odd that I would ration something that I love and that’s readily available. 

9 hours ago, Paddy said:

I look at Pikesville as Heaven Hill's acknowledgement of the 'great rye renaissance'. 

"Ryenaissance"

You're all welcome :) 

• I like it 4

1 minute ago, JCwhammie said:

Pikesville is one of my favorite whiskeys. I had a mini dram of it last night. For some unknown reason I’ve been very slowly drinking the open bottle for 7 months. Now that I think about it, it seems odd that I would ration something that I love and that’s readily available. 

Hit it before some chef writes about it and everyone starts doing the W12 zombie lurch after it.

• I like it 1

15 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

Hit it before some chef writes about it and everyone starts doing the W12 zombie lurch after it.

On a Bourbon Facebook page the other day I read that someone traded a bottle of W12 for Blanton’s SFTB. Unless the poster was being a troll (which happens a lot of there), the person parting with SFTB is out of their mind. 

5 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

On a Bourbon Facebook page the other day I read that someone traded a bottle of W12 for Blanton’s SFTB. Unless the poster was being a troll (which happens a lot of there), the person parting with SFTB is out of their mind. 

I did this exact trade in a local handoff two months ago. 1 W12 750ml for an SFTB. I'm not a big Weller fan and neither was the guy I traded with, but he wanted the bottle for a friend who loves it. In NYC you rarely see W12 on the shelves priced under $129.99 (which is utter madness, of course) so in the local market it was a pretty even trade. In my mind I made out better of course, but we both walked away happy. 

16 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Aw c'mon guys. :mellow: Hell, I could have done Jack Daniels.  Hmmmmmm. Maybe next month. ;) 

Cheers! Joe

You definitely should! Debating whether JD is bourbon or not is a favorite pastime of mine when I feel like revving up my intellectual engine. It is up there with discussion topics like "Mustang vs. Camaro" and "emacs vs. vi".

And with that, I buy & open a new bottle of Pikesville with a few co-workers just now. Really deserves all the praise.

The kids recently got me a bottle of Pikesville Rye for my birthday.  Haven't opened it yet but I guess I have to now.

2 hours ago, Kane said:

You definitely should! Debating whether JD is bourbon or not is a favorite pastime of mine when I feel like revving up my intellectual engine. It is up there with discussion topics like "Mustang vs. Camaro" and "emacs vs. vi".

And with that, I buy & open a new bottle of Pikesville with a few co-workers just now. Really deserves all the praise.

And the topic of discussion while sipping our ryes: Mazda vs. Honda. Good times.

Aw c'mon guys. :mellow: Hell, I could have done Jack Daniels.  Hmmmmmm. Maybe next month. [emoji6] 

Cheers! Joe

Good call on JD for BOTM next month Joe...and that actually is bourbon! [emoji6]

Cheers! Jeff

Shortly after it came out (and, as I reported on some 2.7 year old SB threads), I spoke during Whisky Fest WDC with one of the "selectors" from HH who told me it was an addition to, not a one-off or replacement for Ritt.  Like TBT, I didn't believe him so paid $55 or so for several bottles.  I happily followed its drift down in price.

It has replaced Ritt as my mixer rye in most cocktails and is the rye I usually drink neat now.  I do keep some Ritt around, but it gets used only for lower-alcohol cocktails - 10 proof can make a difference.  Can't it???

• I like it 1

On 11/2/2017 at 9:25 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

As long winded as I can be at times, I hope nobody goes into shock. :lol: 

Cheers! Joe

Consider me shocked :D

I've got a bottle open if you need another sample to help you pontificate.........

• I like it 1

Dangit, Joe.  Now I gotta go digging in the bunker for that box of Ryes. 

The 1776 rye and 1776 PX1 rye on the bar gonna be jealous.

Went looking for a second bottle but Pikesville is Gonesville in the Elm City. 

I think this is an outstanding whiskey and every time I pour from the bottle I have I wonder why I don't visit it more often.  Tonight for example I poured a glass and wondered... "why don't I do this more often?"

• I like it 2

I recently tried this one included as a batch of 15 rye samples sent to me from.  After trying them all without seeing what they were ahead of time and making notes Pikesville was not one of the two choices to future purchases.  It was not bad, but nothing that just made me say I would want a bottle.  Looking at my notes now it has a "nah" that was written down before seeing what it was.

"Nah" is better than most of them that received a solid "nope".  Maybe I just am not a rye guy.

43 minutes ago, Radioyada said:

I recently tried this one included as a batch of 15 rye samples sent to me from.  After trying them all without seeing what they were ahead of time and making notes Pikesville was not one of the two choices to future purchases.  It was not bad, but nothing that just made me say I would want a bottle.  Looking at my notes now it has a "nah" that was written down before seeing what it was.

"Nah" is better than most of them that received a solid "nope".  Maybe I just am not a rye guy.

Only 2 out of 15, that's harsh man... What were the ones you liked?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.