BOTM 11/17: Pikesville Rye

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 hours ago, Kane said:

Only 2 out of 15, that's harsh man... What were the ones you liked?

I agree. were there any higher proof samples you liked? I could guess some of them were Craft or small producer rye? 

6 hours ago, Kane said:

Only 2 out of 15, that's harsh man... What were the ones you liked?

I liked the High West Rendezvous Rye and the Whistle Pig 12 Year Old World samples that I tried.

My local LS had Pikesville on sale for $35 so I picked one up... I opened it up in the parking lot, gave it a try, and went right back in for a second bottle. So far, of the Ryes I’ve tasted I find it second only to THH

• I like it 1

On 11/3/2017 at 9:26 AM, The Black Tot said:

I loves me some Pikesville. I overpaid for it upon its initial release at about $55 per because I was concerned they'd not continue it (regardless of what they said), and I wanted to hedge against the possible discovery that the initial run had been early Rittenhouse era BF rye, etc.

Now that I've heard of it going for as low as 39 in some markets, I'd be thrilled to grab another 12 case and drink it with abandon.

There isn't a better age stated rye option at these proof and price points in the biz. Now I just wish we could find this on bar shelves as ubiquitously as Bulleit. Not without Diageo ramming down distributors throats, I know - but it's a nice dream.

What he said.  Pikesville is the best rye on the market right now, all things considered (IMHO).

Pikesville is a nice one. It isn't my favorite rye, but it's not far off either, I give it about 8.75/10. I would say it's the best rye that I can regularly find on the shelves.

It's usually my go to for cocktails, as it stands up really well. It's pretty good neat too.

Edited by EarthQuake

Any of you Yankees know where to find a bottle of Pikesville in metrowest or east Boston? I'll be in Waltham and by the airport this week.  Always looking for a bourbon honey pot while driving for The Man.  

2 hours ago, Guss West said:

Any of you Yankees know where to find a bottle of Pikesville in metrowest or east Boston? I'll be in Waltham and by the airport this week.  Always looking for a bourbon honey pot while driving for The Man.  

Well, it's pretty much everywhere.

• I like it 1

22 hours ago, Guss West said:

A huntin' I shall go...

Thanks Kane!

Went on a hunt myself today, and confirming that it really is everywhere now. I've seen it around $50 mostly, which is reasonable for Boston. The lowest was $42, but that's Total Wine, and rumor goes that they practise black magic to offer those prices.

Tried this alongside EH Taylor rye last night. 

Prices in the UK are a bit stupid on these, with Pikesville at £75 (was £65 pre-Murray) and EH Taylor at a frankly ridiculous £120+ (though I picked it up at a 'mispriced' £75). Now I know the pain of US scotch drinkers...

Anywho, the EHT was sweeter and more easy drinking than the Pikesville, which had a heavier oak presence and a lot more complexity, so the two were quite different. That oakiness is what I'd expected from HH, and the familiar Rittenhouse notes were there too. 

Added a drop of water to both (how I like it) and the Pikesville opened up nicely after a few minutes whilst the EHT was muted a bit by the water. 

So, based on first pours along, I found the EHT to be an easy drinker but the Pikesville to be more 'interesting'. Will have to do some more research...

Edited by beasled
  • I like it 4

On 11/8/2017 at 5:58 PM, Kane said:

Went on a hunt myself today, and confirming that it really is everywhere now. I've seen it around $50 mostly, which is reasonable for Boston. The lowest was $42, but that's Total Wine, and rumor goes that they practise black magic to offer those prices.

In my experience, the black magic often consists in not having any. "Oh, you should have been here yesterday," says the clerk. My rule is, when you don't have any, you should sell it for 10 cents.

5 hours ago, Flyfish said:

In my experience, the black magic often consists in not having any. "Oh, you should have been here yesterday," says the clerk. My rule is, when you don't have any, you should sell it for 10 cents.

A part of me wishes that was the case here, too. Ever since I own a car* I stop by every weekend "just to take a look®", and come home with a trunk full of stuff I don't need.

* Not all that common for Boston downtown folks.

Edited by Kane
  • I like it 1

Not my favorite to sip neat, but extraordinary in cocktails due to its guts and good punch.  $50 is pushing my comfort limit, though.  

Quick SBS of Pikesville and Old Maysville Club.  Both open for several months.  Pikesville at 110 and Old Maysville at BIB of 100.  Pikesville has taken a while to grow on me.  Much more subtle and complex, while the Old Maysville is much more of the in your face baking spice.

Enjoy both, but would grab the Old Maysville over the Pikesville when in need of that baking spice rye fix.  YMMV.

• 2 weeks later...

Being a self proclaimed rye whore, I drink lots of ryes.  As has been noted in other threads Pikesville is kind of the half way point between bourbon and rye in flavor profile. I like it, and it fits that mood where I'm looking for something a little bourbon and a little rye.  I have also noticed that it's started to show up in more places at more reasonable prices as I bought my first one around 60 bucks thinking I wouldn't see it again for a while.  Since then I have seen it as low as $40.

2 hours ago, Bourserker said:

Being a self proclaimed rye whore, I drink lots of ryes.  As has been noted in other threads Pikesville is kind of the half way point between bourbon and rye in flavor profile. I like it, and it fits that mood where I'm looking for something a little bourbon and a little rye.  I have also noticed that it's started to show up in more places at more reasonable prices as I bought my first one around 60 bucks thinking I wouldn't see it again for a while.  Since then I have seen it as low as $40.

Self proclaimed rye whore. I like it!  :D

Sláinte! Joe

• I like it 1

My favorite Manhattan is Pikeville with Cocchi Di Torino.  The higher proof blends well with the mild oakiness of the Cocchi.  I go 2.5oz/.75oz.  YMMV.

• I like it 1

Finally opened my bottle of this that I got on sale for less than $40 about a year ago. It’s very good, but there’s so much competition now that I don’t think I’d pay over $50 for it. Actually, it would likely take a price closer to $40 for me to be a regular repeat customer given all the rye competition these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, Canarse said:

My favorite Manhattan is Pikeville with Cocchi Di Torino.  The higher proof blends well with the mild oakiness of the Cocchi.  I go 2.5oz/.75oz.  YMMV.

I also really like it with a cocktail, but at it's price point it feels a little too premium to be a regular in cocktails for me (and it's great straight).

I think this is the best regularly available bottle that I can actually find on the shelf in Virginia.

On 11/29/2017 at 8:30 AM, Canarse said:

That's perfect.  CDT is strong (intense) enough that the standard 2:1 ratio is too vermouthy.  

When I first started drinking rye in 1970 it was Beam or Old Overholt. Now I'm really spoiled.  I was in Annapolis this year and found some original MD made Pikesville...what a differnce.  Rittenhouse for cocktails and Pikesville and a large cube.  good stuff

Well I missed November, but I picked up my first Pikesville today. I have an open Baby Saz that I think I’ll do a sbs with this weekend. Cheers!

Having just opened it, the tongue is still a touch hot, albeit tasty. But the nose is absolutely phenomenal. Chocolate croissant, cinnamon, cardamom, marzipan, orange zest, and more!

• I like it 1

On 12/7/2017 at 8:16 PM, BigSkyDrams said:

Well I missed November, but I picked up my first Pikesville today. I have an open Baby Saz that I think I’ll do a sbs with this weekend. Cheers!

Did you get a chance to do a sbs?

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, CUfan99 said:

Did you get a chance to do a sbs?

No. Had a house guest last week who finished off my sazerac before I got the chance... luckily I picked up another baby saz yesterday, so I’m planning to do the SBS tonight. Will report back with notes, for science of course! :)

Edited by BigSkyDrams
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.