Is Weller coming back in good supply or is this just a fluke?

ShapeshifterK10
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So, I have not been able to find my favorite bourbon, Weller SR, for months. Finally a couple of weeks ago I was in one of my favorite liquor stores and saw a bottle which I promptly bought. Went back a few days later just for kicks and saw a full shelf of it. In the past there had been a limit one per customer sign for Weller SR. This time there was none. 

I then did a dumb thing. I asked the cashier if there was a limit. I know it was stupid of me to do it but I was just dumbfounded. She told me there was still one. At that point I was kicking myself for not grabbing 3 like I wanted to, so I went back and bemoaning my bad decision skills selected just one.

Just then the attendant chased me down and said she called her manager and that for the time being there was no limit on Weller SR. So I gladly purchased 3 750 ml bottles and went on my way. 

My question though. Are we finally seeing the end of the drought which has plagued Weller or is this just a fluke in my area? If this is a fluke you know where my next paycheck is going.

ShapeshifterK10

SR is everywhere in Middle TN. Some want $23 some want $43. But its everywhere for the past 3-4 months.

Stock up!  Although, as I understand it, we should now and soon be starting to see the earliest effects of increased production from several years ago at BT in lines such as WSR.

In my New England travel, I've seen a number of stores with a small number of WSR bottles.  Many, if not most, post a limit per customer.

I haven't seen W12 here in a decade. 

This summer I got lucky with a WSR store pick, grabbing a few bottles the day it arrived before it sold out instantly to the preorders. 

Seems to me you either have to be there the day something good arrives or hope for someone to just magically "find" bottles in the stock room (which is how I got my second bottle of ECBP A117). 

Bourbon is still booming in New England.

9 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

SR is everywhere in Middle TN. Some want $23 some want $43. But its everywhere for the past 3-4 months.

I will second this notion. There seems to be no shortage of WSR in the Nashville Area. If i spend 10 minutes calling a handful of stores I can usually find some (although all have been behind the counter by request only). All mine have been $25-$30.

Edited by Jfletchgu

5 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

I was disappointed in WSR, because OWA was so much better for only $3 more. I'd suggest holding out for OWA.   I'm waiting for a return of OWA, unless its way overpriced.  And I'm waiting for my first bottle of W12.  I'll splurge for a first time purchase.   

• I like it 1

WSR is mostly readily available in MO these days. Saw WAY more in KC (cases of it stacked with no limit) than STL.

It runs from $16 to about $25. WA107 (OWA) is still mostly non existent (maybe 3 or 4 bottles a year) and W12 is a 1 bottle a year find for me with lotss of searching. One local store has OWA and W12 in stock..for $99 and $199 respectively.

2 minutes ago, Clueby said:

One local store has OWA and W12 in stock..for $99 and $199 respectively.

wow. I just got a lecture on another thread, that OWA will never go above $30....wish it were legal to surplus my two bottles...

20 minutes ago, musekatcher said:

I was disappointed in WSR, because OWA was so much better for only $3 more. I'd suggest holding out for OWA.   I'm waiting for a return of OWA, unless its way overpriced.  And I'm waiting for my first bottle of W12.  I'll splurge for a first time purchase.   

You and I are in the same boat. WSR is a pass for me. OWA is still very rare down here. I have never seen Weller 12 for sale in South Carolina. 

So from the gist of what I am seeing, we will be seeing more good stuff from now on. Thanks everyone. I will open a bottle without hesitation.

ShapeshifterK10

I keep WSR almost exclusively to mix with OGD114 for Grandpa Weller's Four Grain. I very rarely drink it on its own any more.

11 hours ago, Guss West said:

Bourbon is still booming in New England.

Nah, it's just your imagination.  Just move on, please - nothing here to see!   :lol:

• I like it 4

10 hours ago, Mako254 said:

You and I are in the same boat. WSR is a pass for me. OWA is still very rare down here. I have never seen Weller 12 for sale in South Carolina. 

In 2016 the state got 12 cases.

2017 has been a lot better, but it will likely still be a twice a year allocation. At least this year it has been allocated by the case, and not by the bottle.

• I like it 1

I keep WSR almost exclusively to mix with OGD114 for Grandpa Weller's Four Grain. I very rarely drink it on its own any more.

I'm with you. It's also the only reason I currently buy it. In future years, if they are able to get some more age on it like it used to be, I may buy it just to drink by itself, but it's just too young for neat sippin' at its current age (probably only 4 yrs) for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, Clueby said:

I drink 90% of my bourbon neat in a glencairs, but chilled WSR over a large cube in a lowball with a dash of orange bitters is really enjoyable in the summer sun!  It's my lazy man cocktail.

14 hours ago, Arkady said:

In 2016 the state got 12 cases.

2017 has been a lot better, but it will likely still be a twice a year allocation. At least this year it has been allocated by the case, and not by the bottle.

Are you in SC?

On 11/7/2017 at 7:06 AM, GeeTen said:

Nah, it's just your imagination.  Just move on, please - nothing here to see!   :lol:

Bourbon is still booming, but its focus is targetted.  If you work between the marketing cracks, you can still find high quality bourbon for reasonable prices.  Floods of new buyers are more interested in trendy names, fancy labels, conspicuous pricing, and glossy ads in Maxim and GQ.  We used to call these kinds of products "yuppie bait" ;) 

Edited by musekatcher
  • I like it 1

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 10:24 PM, Mako254 said:

Are you in SC?

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 10:48 PM, Arkady said:

Says it right under my name.

19 hours ago, flahute said:

Not on mobile. 

And typing "Yes I am." would have been easier to type and good deal less snippy, especially for someone new to a website...

Just puttin' in my two cents here. FWIW, and with a couple of exceptions, I've seen and purchased more Weller's from various stores in the last three months or so, than I have in the last two or three years. I'm a happy camper to say the least. I can't help but look at this as a good sign. Weller whore that I am, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed though. :lol:

Cheers! Joe

• I like it 1

Just puttin' in my two cents here. FWIW, and with a couple of exceptions, I've seen and purchased more Weller's from various stores in the last three months or so, than I have in the last two or three years. I'm a happy camper to say the least. I can't help but look at this as a good sign. Weller whore that I am, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed though. :lol:

Cheers! Joe

I'm having the same experience Joe. It has still taken a good bit of hunting, especially for W12, but I've been able to score more than twice as many W12 bottles this year than last year (2 bottles last year), and you could almost say that I am awash with OWA given all the PS barrels we have had in my area.

20 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

I'm having the same experience Joe. It has still taken a good bit of hunting, especially for W12, but I've been able to score more than twice as many W12 bottles this year than last year (2 bottles last year), and you could almost say that I am awash with OWA given all the PS barrels we have had in my area.

I agree Jeff. The availability of Weller 12 is still pretty sketchy. I have a few old label/bottles bunkered, so it's not too big a concern for me yet. Where I live, we're not what you'd call awash in OWA and Weller SR, but it has been more readily available lately. I've found enough for my needs, and I've still been able to let a couple of other members/family know where it's shown up if they want some too. FWIW, I'm waiting right now for a semi local store to receive their ps of Weller SR. Unfortunately, I think they're probably not going to make it available until they do their Pappy/BTAC/LE "thing" the Saturday after Thanksgiving. <_< Which, by the way, I won't be attending. 

Cheers! Joe

• I like it 1

I remember the good old days when NC ABC stores had shelves of OWA five years ago.....it basically vanished overnight and we never see it around here, although I think a couple of cases pop up about twice a year. I have literally had better luck winning PVW 15 in lotteries (one last year and this year) than in finding a single bottle of OWA. We do have ER, BT, and Blanton's most times though. I think it is a regional issue that I still haven't figured out. Thanks goodness MM does it for me.

SR has always been readily available in Denver for cheap. Haven't seen an uptick in 'behind the counter' sightings of OWA or 12 from the once a year norm.

There will come a time when the greatly increased production results in better availability but we are a bit early for all but SR, they crank that stuff out the millisecond its legal. The OWA and 12 will become more common in the years ahead and a calming of bourbon fever wouldn't hurt either. the 12 is obvious but without an age statement I don't know the age on OWA, hard to believe the proof diff alone results in such a different and IMO, MUCH better flavor. OWA is no 12 yrs so I would think that one will be next to show up more frequently and I wouldn't mind a bit as its my favorite by far of the trio.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.