Sign in to follow this  
Whiskey Junkie

NYC to Northern VA

Whiskey Junkie

Heading down to N VA Tuesday, through NJ, DE, and MD obviously.  Looking for value whiskey or limited stuff.  VA has ABC so will check their site but any local suggestions to hit up in other states near I95 corridor would be appreciated.Thanks in advance.

WJ

DCFan
2 hours ago, Whiskey Junkie said:

Heading down to N VA Tuesday, through NJ, DE, and MD obviously.  Looking for value whiskey or limited stuff.  VA has ABC so will check their site but any local suggestions to hit up in other states near I95 corridor would be appreciated.Thanks in advance.

WJ

You'll find nothing of note in Va, pretty much the standard run of the mill selections but at pretty close to msrp. I'm a big fan of their website (abc.virginia.gov). If you plug in the address where you'll be staying, or the town name, you can designate a nearby store as "my store" and browse the inventory of everything they have along with the quantities.  If that store is out of something there is a button to check nearby stores.

In my area the deliveries are on Tuesdays and sometimes they get some LE's that aren't even listed on the website. Thanks to a fellow Va SB'r he told me about a special delivery of OWA and I was able to snag a bottle. Another time I got a bottle of BT Bourbon Cream. And because it's a control state there are no markups. Normally they don't even list Wellers on their website because it's not carried. Things like ETL and RHF are listed but they are never in stock.

If you're looking for some Va specific whiskey's such as Bowman Bros. they do have a good selection.  You will find a decent quantity of EC (regular not BP) and ER10BT and Blanton's are regulars but their quantities are getting hard to find, at the moment. They do have things on sale and you might find something in the closeout section for anywhere from a third to a half off.  That's where I picked up my DN1843.

Something I would suggest if you're coming down I-295 thru Md, as soon as you cross into DC there is a Costco right there and they have some good selections at your typical Costco prices.  The stores in DC, Md, Del are privately owned so you will most likely find some LE's but at a good markup.  TW is also in Md. There is one county in Md that is controlled (Montgomery County).

Va is having a sale on a select number of handles (Harry has them listed in another thread). You might find some value in there.  The sale is this Mon, Tues, and Wed. Have fun and welcome to ABC-land.  Let me know if you have any other q's. :D 

kevinbrink
3 hours ago, Whiskey Junkie said:

WJ

Bayway in Elizabeth, NJ always has some stellar store picks, if your in N VA you should go to the Bowman Distillery if you have not been, they just put out the new Port Barrel Isaac Bowman which is VA only. VA ABC stores have prices well cheaper than NYC, 375's of Blantons and WTRB were good prices and you can check stock online.  What crossing are you taking into NJ? If it's the GWB go to Linwood Wine and Liquor in Fort Lee, if it's the tunnel PM me and I'll send you a couple that are a little more off the highway.

DCFan
1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

VA ABC stores have prices well cheaper than NYC, 375's of Blantons and WTRB were good prices and you can check stock online.

JoeTerp found a unique pricing anomaly with WTRB in that 3 of the 375's are the same price as a 750.

Harry in WashDC
4 hours ago, DCFan said:

JoeTerp found a unique pricing anomaly with WTRB in that 3 of the 375's are the same price as a 750.

Not that it matters a lot, but the 375s (112.8 proof) I bought yesterday were not the same batch as the 750s I passed on (116.8 I think).  That said, Joe is correct on the pricing which is why I chose the 375s.

Charlutz

State Line Liquors in DE is a good place to check for four roses store picks. I think they are last exit in DE before you cross into MD

Guss West

Stateline should have their EC PS in now too.  Be sure to ask for a taste at the tasting bar in the back.

Take your piggy bank, they've got a ton of great whisky. 

kevinbrink
2 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Not that it matters a lot, but the 375s (112.8 proof) I bought yesterday were not the same batch as the 750s I passed on (116.8 I think).  That said, Joe is correct on the pricing which is why I chose the 375s.

As a plus I liked the 112.8 better, not enough to care too much or to be noticeable not SBS but still...

JoeTerp
2 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

As a plus I liked the 112.8 better, not enough to care too much or to be noticeable not SBS but still...

The ones I saw were all 112.8 too and in the old style bottle.  I'm pretty sure this was the batch before 116.8.

Whiskey Junkie

Thank you all for the suggestions.  It is a very early morning departure with a friend and day trip only so hopefully we can make some stops.  I will post if anything comes of it. Thanks again.

WJ

GeeTen

If you're in southern Maryland around lunchtime, stop at Kloby's Smokehouse in Laurel, MD.  They have a great bourbon list and super barbeque including beef ribs!  Open at 11 and located in a shopping center on Montpelier Road.  Stop at the Montgomery County liquor store in Silver Spring on your way into DC after lunch - found VOB BIB for a great price there, too!   Safe travels tomorrow.   :D

Kloby's List 1.jpg

Kloby's List 2.jpg

Kloby's List 3.jpg

Edited by GeeTen

DCFan
On 11/13/2017 at 2:48 AM, Whiskey Junkie said:

Thank you all for the suggestions.  It is a very early morning departure with a friend and day trip only so hopefully we can make some stops.  I will post if anything comes of it. Thanks again.

WJ

So did you find anything of note?

Whiskey Junkie

Nope. Unfortunately, we got tied up for 4 hours for what should have taken an hour.  We will also have to make another trip in early December so I will try to hit up some whiskey spots.