WLW vs ORVW

BigSkyDrams
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Got an email from my favorite LS today that their Van Winkles have come in. However, they only got the ORVW 10 yr, pappy 15 and 20. I called and spoke with the owner today and he has offered me the ORVW for $80.  They’re kind of combining the Van Winkle allocation with the BTAC though, so he said alternatively I can get a WLW for $150 (or GTS, but I already got one this year). I really wanted the Pappy 15, but that appears off the table for me, and I don’t think the store will allow me to purchase both WLW and ORVW (at least at this juncture), so question is: do I take WLW for $150 or ORVW for $80? I’ve had bottles of both before, and I’m leaning towards the former. 

Nice call to get. Do you like silky smooth buttered caramel or a volcanic explosion of multiple bourbon tastes, all fighting for top billing? BOOM!

I guess I'll have to go along with the others. ;)

• I like it 1

I think that pretty much settles it then.  WLW it is.  Thanks for the input.

I have some whiskey-appreciating family coming to visit over Christmas, so now with the WLW I will be able to put on an epic tasting.  Thinking of doing a side-by-side-by-side with WLW, Weller 12, and Lot B 12 yr.  Obviously the WLW will standout for the barrel proof, but should make for some interesting tasting and conversation to compare the three. 

You're going with 2 90 proofs against a 128. I guess if they're bourbon geeks they will applaud the WLW but it might work better for the "appreciators of fine whiskey" to add about 25% water to the WLW.

NO THAT'S SACRILEGE!!! Sorry, bad idea.

5 minutes ago, FacePlant said:

You're going with 2 90 proofs against a 128. I guess if they're bourbon geeks they will applaud the WLW but it might work better for the "appreciators of fine whiskey" to add about 25% water to the WLW.

NO THAT'S SACRILEGE!!! Sorry, bad idea.

Yeah, I know it.  It wouldn't be a blind tasting.  The purpose of including the WLW would pretty much be to say, after enjoying the others, "now this is what it tastes like without dilution."  Then perhaps water it down, and later in the evening or next day have them taste the first two blind and choose a favorite. 

Edited by BigSkyDrams

9 minutes ago, beasled said:

I'd go ORVW personally.

Reason?  Just subjective taste preference? Price?  Not a fan of barrel proof? 

14 minutes ago, BigSkyDrams said:

'Cause we all have different palates that respond in different ways to bourbon!  But WLW would get my vote - it was my choice after PVW20 sold out in seconds in the TW&M Grand Reserve PVW/BTAC online sale a couple of weeks ago.   :wub:

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 1

15 minutes ago, Paddy said:

FWIW, Old Rip is 107 proof...

Suggestion being I could sbs with OWA if I got the Old Rip?

Just now, BigSkyDrams said:

Suggestion being I could sbs with OWA if I got the Old Rip?

...plus, that it's a significant step up from the Lot B in proof (and everything else, IMO).

37 minutes ago, Paddy said:

FWIW, Old Rip is 107 proof...

Yep, sorry the 12 is 90. Woops he did say SBS Lot B.

Edited by FacePlant

WLW for me too.

Interesting they held their WLW this long. I might have to call my Montana connections about Pappy...

4 minutes ago, dwolf said:

WLW for me too.

Interesting they held their WLW this long. I might have to call my Montana connections about Pappy...

Yeah, I was kinda surprised they still had it, and GTS apparently.

Especially since they aren't marking it up too bad. One of the stores that was asking 8 times MSRP called me back. Sounds like everyone might be telling them no. Hopefully everybody sticks to their guns and we can get reasonable priced bourbon again.

• I like it 1

Thanks for all the input guys.  I picked up the WLW. I’m still in the pool for a drawing this store will be doing where they’ll draw 2-3 names and offer the ORVW to those selected, and for some reason I’m feeling lucky about it! So fingers crossed I may still end up with both.

2 minutes ago, dwolf said:

Especially since they aren't marking it up too bad. One of the stores that was asking 8 times MSRP called me back. Sounds like everyone might be telling them no. Hopefully everybody sticks to their guns and we can get reasonable priced bourbon again.

Amen to that!

9 hours ago, BigSkyDrams said:

Subjective taste difference. I like barrel proofers (though I almost always add water) but if I could only have one then I'd go ORVW.

ORVW is the best of the Winkle line I think, Rye aside.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.