Mako254

SAOS 10, MGP mash bill same as Belle Meade

smokinjoe

As always Nancy, thanks for your detailed reply.  So interesting to hear of MGP barrels spending time in HH rickhouses.  Never heard mention of those being rested there.  Do you know the back story of how/why they got there?

Also, with the barrels that popped their bungs, was that because the fluid pushed them out, i.e. more than 53 Gallons?

WhiskeyBlender
45 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

As always Nancy, thanks for your detailed reply.  So interesting to hear of MGP barrels spending time in HH rickhouses.  Never heard mention of those being rested there.  Do you know the back story of how/why they got there?

Also, with the barrels that popped their bungs, was that because the fluid pushed them out, i.e. more than 53 Gallons?

Joe, that isn't as uncommon as one might think for MGP barrels or other sourced barrels to spend time elsewhere for their maturation, depending upon who buys them when they're young, and where they arrange for the maturation to develop. These particular barrels were bought by Jos. Magnus, and unfortunately I can't divulge who owned them before that or a whole lot more about the history of them (I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you! lol). I do my best to be transparent about production processes and the like whenever possible, but on some things I'm under NDA, so I don't want to get into legal trouble, as I'm sure you can understand. At any rate, interestingly enough, when we transferred these barrels to D.C., fortunately they weren't so far gone on the flabbiness that we couldn't counteract it. The proof was still quite low even after being submitted to more rigorous maturation conditions, but I was okay with that. It just meant I didn't have to add water to the batches, or at least, very little. 

As for my free-lance master blender colleague whose distillery client's bungs popped out, yes, the watered-down whiskey actually did push the bungs out, so that whiskey was actually spilling out of the casks. I'll have to ask her about this to be certain, but I suspect these were either 60 or even 92 gallon barrels, and not the 53's that we use for bourbon.