Whiskey Advocate- Whiskey of the Year 2017

Bbstout
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

ECBP batch 517. Thoughts on this? Personally I liked A117 better which was the first batch in the new bottle. Better then four roses Al Young, Parkers, etc? I can't comment because I haven't had many of these other LE's but I know many here have.

• I like it 1

Well, I know I just cracked a ECBP B517 last week and find it incredibly rich with all sorts of flavor. Havn't had many LE stuff either but I just picked up a PH 11 and plan on trying that one soon.

I LOVED this batch. At the same time I havent had all the LE's either and any given night I may prefer a stagg jr batch 8 so I couldnt say it is unequivocally the whiskey of the year, but i can attest that it's damn good and worth tracking down. I ended up grabbing 3.

I liked batch B517 a lot but not more than most of the previous batches prior to the new bottle.  Batch 12 has probably been my favorite.  Batch A117 has been my LEAST favorite ECBP batch by a wide margin.  I don't think it lived up to the name at all and just didn't have that richness of flavor of other batches.  There are 4 bottles of A117 sitting on the shelf for $52 at a store I frequent and I will leave them there.  I do have a couple bottles of A117.  Only 1 bottle of B517 and its got a few inches out of it.  I'm hoping to find more but its been pretty much non-existent while A117 seemed to be everywhere.  I haven't seen any C yet.

I love me some ECBP in all it's batches... I didn't see the b517 here but have several of a bunch and they never get old with me.

#3 of the year being MK Decades 102 proof. I like this pick. It's an incredibly complex bourbon with layers upon layers of interest. Unfortunate of it's rather high price, but man is it good

Good Stuff!

Edited by RWBadley

2 hours ago, Bbstout said:

Better then four roses Al Young, Parkers, etc?

You missed the explanation for their criteria which was partly based on availability. No LE's are on the list because of this.

I have one b517 open and 2 in the bunker. I dont get it every pour but i have tasted flavors in this that i have never tasted before anywhere. Closest thing i can think of is mango but i dont get it every time. Where does that come from? Glad I have these extra. Can anyone say how the C batch compares?

The first batch I ever had was C916 (the Bourbon formerly known as batch 12) (136°) and it was such a flavor bomb it quickly became my favorite bourbon in its class. So when A117 came out I picked up several in hopes of a repeat performance, but was quite disappointed... I enjoy the A117, but to my palate it just lacked the depth and punch of the previous batch. I have a B517 open now and I'm still trying to figure this one out... 

• I like it 2

IMG_0880.thumb.JPG.daa5cd5efa92f4c3853ac3c9341ce016.JPG

Oh I don't know, let's try em all then decide. 
I vote for A but what do I know?
[emoji4]

I haven't compared my 2017 batches together like that, but that batch C917 certainly appears much darker than the other two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't tried the B batch as I'm trying to still limit my open bottles somewhat, and I still have some older ECBP open. I will say though that I've generally enjoyed all the batches of ECBP, and it has been nice that it's pretty readily available and here lately. I was/am in the camp that bashed HH a bit for dropping the EC12 age statement, but it seems pretty obvious that the ECBP availability has benefitted from that, which is nice. 

It's only because of my SB buddy that I even have the C to show off and drink. Thanks Jeff!!!!!

Great community.

I've already finished off one bottle of B and have purchased another. I think it's a really solid batch. Currently drinking the 136 proof batch (last of the old bottle design) and it definitely has a different character to it than B. It has more of what I think of as a classic ECBP profile that includes an earthy note from the barrel. The B batch didn't have this (if I remember correctly) and had a more "fresh" persona that really allowed the caramel flavors to be more forward. I like both of them.

• I like it 1

It's only because of my SB buddy that I even have the C to show off and drink. Thanks Jeff!!!!!

Great community.

You're welcome Bill! I wouldn't have some of the stuff I have without your help either!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's a great call!  It just validates what we already knew (and we are members of the pre-eminent SB.com:P), and have been screaming aloud since the first release!  It just goes to show who's been reading our threads (and the ECBP thread is one hell of a long thread)!  :lol: 

No matter which batch they decided to anoint, ECBP check all the boxes when it comes to age, complexity, value, consistency, and (reasonable) availability. 

Hell, it's one of the best things since sliced bread!  :lol:

• I like it 1

17 hours ago, flahute said:

You missed the explanation for their criteria which was partly based on availability. No LE's are on the list because of this.

In that case it's hard to argue with this pick. To some on this board though, this bottle well as may be an LE.

I liked the B batch well enough it was by far my least favorite ECBP (note I didn't try the A batch that seems to be many people least favorite.)  Give me the older batches any day which makes me happy I have a few bunkered.  My favorite batch has been the Hazmat and I don't see that changing anytime soon. I got half a bottle left of that one and drinking it real slow. 

I opened a bottle of the A117 batch a couple weeks ago and was unimpressed.  It tasted like a weak version of the older style bottles and didn't have the oomph I expected.  I'm happy to hear that the B batch is much better.  I think I'll stick to the older batches for now since I have a bunch in the bunker.

I haven't cracked a B batch yet but I also liked the A batch just fine, right now I have that one and a 139.4 proof open, and I would take the A batch over that one which is probably my least favorite of those I have had.

I love ECBP but initially was very disappointed in my B517 when I opened it. It just seemed kind of lackluster and thinner than previous releases. After a few months of air time, once it was down to 3/4 of the bottle or so it opened up like crazy. ECBP is always a flavor bomb but this one seems way more nuanced and dynamic to me than previous releases I've had. I bunkered two more bottles of it last week at $69.99 before the news broke on Friday and I'm glad I did. 

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 9:46 PM, FacePlant said:

IMG_0880.thumb.JPG.daa5cd5efa92f4c3853ac3c9341ce016.JPG

Oh I don't know, let's try em all then decide. 

I vote for A but what do I know?

:)

I have! Palates differ. At least as far as my own preference is concerned A was my least favorite of the three.

But none of them are even close to some of the early batches.

It always puzzles me as to why my favorite bourbon never seems to be chosen as bourbon/whiskey of the year. :huh:

Joe

For the record I didn't start this thread to give any credibility to a magazine ratings. I actually detest publications that create hype. My first hobby when I came of age was cigars. A similar publication, Cigar Aficionado, quickly made my favorite pastime too expensive. I really hope this doesn't add to the current boom which is already out of hand. Interestingly I went to the Whiskey Advocate website and the A117 was ranked a 94 & the B517 was a 90. 

• I like it 1

Who's got two thumbs and two bottles of B517? This guy! 

I went out and grabbed a couple more of these today.  They've been sitting on the shelf for weeks at $65 with no takers.  Until today. 

Have an open bottle of this also.  It certainly is good, but I think I'm set with the few I have.  Trying to go slow to really let it "open up". 

Whiskey of the Year?  Mebbe.

It certainly is my whisky of the night! 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.