Knob Creek small batch

rmoore926
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Saw this at the local supermarket on sale for $26.  I like sweeter bourbons (MM, ER, Blanton's).  Been looking for Weller as I think that's something I'd like, but can't really find it near me (So. Cal).  Wondering if you think someone with my taste preferences might like the Knob Creek.  Thanks.

I've only had the Single Barrel 120 proof that were Store Selections that were in the 12 - 14 year range and were of course more oaky.  Tons of flavor however.  For $26 I'd buy a bottle.

I really like Knob Creek.  While the single barrels can be stellar, I would suggest trying the Small Batch first.  I think it compares favorably with ER with a slightly higher proof.  While there can be some variability with Blanton's because it is single barrel, I generally find the profile consistent and slightly spicier than ER or KC

• I like it 1

For my experience (which is of course all I can offer), KC is one of the sweeter profile bourbons from a major distiller, and among the sweetest from Beam ( several batches of Booker's that I tasted were quite sweet, as well).

The basic KC used to carry an age statement of 9 years and, at 100 proof, could qualify as a bonded bourbon.  For whatever reasons, including but not limited to how the pipelines run from tun to bottling line, Beam/Suntory has chosen NOT to call it bonded.  Supposedly, it is STILL about 9 years old.  That's pretty "oaky" for bourbon.

I've been drinking it since it came out in 1992. (Not every day, all the time, but . . .B))  BUT, if you are looking for something "sweeter" or less "oaky" but just as robust, I'd suggest Sazerac/Buffalo Trace's Blanton's (at about 1.8 times the price of KC) or Heaven Hill's Larceny (92 proof) or Old Fitzgerald (various proofs).  Like MM and Weller's, Larceny and Old Fitz are wheated (that is, a mash bill of 50%+corn, 5 or so % barley, and the balance wheat instead of rye like most bourbons).

It appears you like the mellower, "sweeter" expressions.  So, I'd also suggest you seek out Very Old Barton bonded and Four Roses Small Batch and Single Barrel.  The 4R Private Selections are much more expensive (like, $70-80), but they may offer you some special experiences.

And, if they don't satisfy, that's ok.  Keep trying.  As some old faht here on SB sort of writes a lot - It is the journey, not the bottle, that's important.

I've drank 3 bottles of KC and 2 bottles of the KBSB.

The 3 KC bottles were incredibly woody, I think a 9 year single barrel is a long age...I prefer 7 to 8 like bookers (I had 1 bottle of bookers, it was incredible).

The KBSB, first bottle was amazing...second bottle was...meh'.

But for $26, still a good buy. Here in Canada it's at least $45.

Edited by Darin

If you haven't had KC you should buy it for that price, I prefer it to those you mentioned most days, sometimes I would prefer ER or Blantons but more often than not I would take the KC. I might not have the most similar palate to you though since to me MM tastes like acetone and poorly cured oak. 

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

And, if they don't satisfy, that's ok.  Keep trying.  As some old faht here on SB sort of writes a lot - It is the journey, not the bottle, that's important.

We're not "old fahts" Harry - we're just getting better with age (kinda' like my dram of Rhode Island HWMWND Act 5 Scene 2 last night when I got home from the swim meet).    :D

• I like it 2

12 hours ago, rmoore926 said:

Wondering if you think someone with my taste preferences might like the Knob Creek.

Everybody likes KC! (right?)

I remember we were posting short tasting notes in some thread back in summer, and folks said "cherry coke" without fail. KC has a pronounced cherry sweetness going on.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.  I'll definitely add it to the list of bourbons to try.  

• I like it 1

I'll add that in my experience KC generally fares very well in blind tastings across all price points.

If you haven't had it, you gotta try it!

I ran across a stash of 9yo age stated KC shortly after they announced it was going NAS.  I have about a dozen handles bunkered. 

KC is on my short list of "must have open" bourbon.  A colleague visiting from Russia wanted to try Bourbon, and KC9 was what I suggested from that particular restaurant menu.  "Good, Da." 

• 2 months later...

I know it's been a while, but wanted to stop by an thank everyone for the suggestions.  I asked for, and received the Knob Creek Small Batch.  Had it the next day at the track in the flask.  Really enjoyed it.  Smoother than I thought it would be for that proof and price point.  Thanks again, and cheers!

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was at walgreens this morning (I pretty much always check out the bourbons at any place that sells them, even if I don't think they will have anything I want) and they had a few bottles of the Knob Creek small batch.  I chose not to buy any as I have an open bottle at home.

But when I was checking out, I noticed a few gift boxes of the Knob Creek Small Batch.  All but one were white, while the other one was brown.  I asked the cashier to see the brown box, and sure enough it had the 9 year age statement on the bottle.  I've only had the NAS bottle, so I was excited to find this at a drugstore for sub $30 with the rock glasses!

46 minutes ago, Jav said:

I was at walgreens this morning (I pretty much always check out the bourbons at any place that sells them, even if I don't think they will have anything I want) and they had a few bottles of the Knob Creek small batch.  I chose not to buy any as I have an open bottle at home.

But when I was checking out, I noticed a few gift boxes of the Knob Creek Small Batch.  All but one were white, while the other one was brown.  I asked the cashier to see the brown box, and sure enough it had the 9 year age statement on the bottle.  I've only had the NAS bottle, so I was excited to find this at a drugstore for sub $30 with the rock glasses!

Saw this set at a store the other night for $36. However they had 1792 BIB for $129.99 so I walked out on principle. Didnt want to support those kinda people.

Edited by FasterHorses

On 11/19/2017 at 11:06 PM, kevinbrink said:

If you haven't had KC you should buy it for that price, I prefer it to those you mentioned most days, sometimes I would prefer ER or Blantons but more often than not I would take the KC. I might not have the most similar palate to you though since to me MM tastes like acetone and poorly cured oak. 

I totally agree with this. KC is a great bourbon in my opinion. At this price, it is well worth the experiment. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.