Old posters

FasterHorses
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Every now and then i end up reading a thread from 2006 or some other long forgotten year. Tonite an internet search for OC12 brought me to an old SB.com thread. None of the posters seem to be here any longer. Do they get tired of this stuff? Do they move on to Rum or beer or quit drinking entirely? Do they pass on? Are there some that are still here and have been on here since inception?

A lot of the old timers are still around but don't post much. They are still into bourbon but don't need to talk about it as much as they used to.

It's a thing that happens to some who are around when a movement is small and in it's infancy. When it's small, everyone involved is well known and like family. There's also a great sense of new discovery. Once the movement catches on, and newcomers start coming in at a high rate, the intimacy is lost. It's not a bad thing, it's just different. Some guys don't like it. Some guys also get tired of seeing the same questions being asked again, so they get bored with it. It's a natural part of the life cycle of places like this.

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, flahute said:

A lot of the old timers are still around but don't post much. They are still into bourbon but don't need to talk about it as much as they used to.

It's a thing that happens to some who are around when a movement is small and in it's infancy. When it's small, everyone involved is well known and like family. There's also a great sense of new discovery. Once the movement catches on, and newcomers start coming in at a high rate, the intimacy is lost. It's not a bad thing, it's just different. Some guys don't like it. Some guys also get tired of seeing the same questions being asked again, so they get bored with it. It's a natural part of the life cycle of places like this.

I have wondered if there is a predictable life cycle for 'this". This being, finding people that share this interest...buying things that you  read about.. feeling ridiculous about amassing more bourbon than you could ever drink... going back to how you were before. Human nature and such. 

FWIW, some of those "older"posters have moved on, BUT -

more than once, I have forwarded some bit of news I thought one of "them" might be interested in only to find out "they" had already seen it but were "pleased" "they" were not forgotten.

In other words, some of them have reverted to lurking for the reasons Steve noted.  Be warned, however:  They lurk but are not indifferent; post only truisms or be prepared to suffer the wrath of those who have gone before us.

Uh, isn't there some book or short story where the elders are like petrified but come alive when duty calls?  Maybe it is something in "The Lord of the Rings".  It's been 52 years since I read them during exam time to take my mind off the subjects at hand so I could sleep.

12 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

FWIW, some of those "older"posters have moved on, BUT -

more than once, I have forwarded some bit of news I thought one of "them" might be interested in only to find out "they" had already seen it but were "pleased" "they" were not forgotten.

In other words, some of them have reverted to lurking for the reasons Steve noted.  Be warned, however:  They lurk but are not indifferent; post only truisms or be prepared to suffer the wrath of those who have gone before us.

Uh, isn't there some book or short story where the elders are like petrified but come alive when duty calls?  Maybe it is something in "The Lord of the Rings".  It's been 52 years since I read them during exam time to take my mind off the subjects at hand so I could sleep.

The Ents in lord of the rings were treelike creatures who slept for a long time and awoke for the fight against evil. Interestingly, they lost their wives. Not lost as in dead but lost as in they can’t find them. Might help to explain the long, peaceful sleep. :D

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.