What to open next?

Bourbon Fanatic
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

What to open next?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which bourbon should I open next? I know I don't have any crazy LE's

• Hancock's President's Reserve
    • Very Old Barton 6 yr age stated
    • Smooth Ambler Old Scout 7 Yr
    • Old Grand Dad Bonded
    • Eagle Rare 10

Let me know some reasoning behind your choices

Edited by Bourbon Fanatic

Kind of hard to say without knowing what you have already had. I usually open the one that seems to be calling my name at the moment. That said I might go with the VOB 6yo since we just got a barrel of 1792 full proof I got to help pick in my favorite store. Might make an interesting comparison.

• I like it 2

12 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Kind of hard to say without knowing what you have already had. I usually open the one that seems to be calling my name at the moment. That said I might go with the VOB 6yo since we just got a barrel of 1792 full proof I got to help pick in my favorite store. Might make an interesting comparison.

You're right! For anyone that cares, below is a picture of what I currently have open.

IMG_1418.thumb.JPG.c321880d16798752112b846ae98f713f.JPG

Cheers!

Saz/BT is well represented in your open ranks so unless you want to do some SBSs, leave the ER sealed.:wacko:.  I picked OGD BIB (which is my most-consumed by me) because it is my most-consumed by me; had I seen the OGD 114 there, I would have picked the VOB 6yr just because it is special to me.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 1

I voted OGD bonded but seeing as how you have an open RHF, I’d do a side by side with the hancocks and rhf. Same mash bill, different age and proofs. 

• I like it 2

9 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

I voted OGD bonded but seeing as how you have an open RHF, I’d do a side by side with the hancocks and rhf. Same mash bill, different age and proofs. 

No kidding? I might love the Hancock's, then. RHF is currently my favorite pour.

47 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

I cheated, read this post then voted Hancock's.  Blanton's is also the same mashbill yes? So perhaps a blind side by side by side!

• I like it 1

It's looking like it might be the Hancock's President's Reserve, unless anyone else has any last votes.

Cheers!

46 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

I cheated, read this post then voted Hancock's.  Blanton's is also the same mashbill yes? So perhaps a blind side by side by side!

I noticed the Blantons after the post. 

I am setting up a mash bill 2 tasting for my family at thanksgiving. 

• I like it 2

I voted ER10, as I figured it'd bring a bit of refined elegance to the holiday.  After seeing the photo, I'd have probably gone with the OGD BIB (just to mix it up a bit).  Whatever you choose, you're still winning! 

I am with Paddy.  ER is one of my holiday standards.  Of course, you could roll out tomorrow and pick up a WT 101, RB or KS.  Turkey is always a good choice for Thanksgiving.

• I like it 1

1 minute ago, mbroo5880i said:

I am with Paddy.  ER is one of my holiday standards.  Of course, you could roll out tomorrow and pick up a WT 101, RB or KS.  Turkey is always a good choice for Thanksgiving.

That's a great idea actually... I have been meaning to buy another WT101.

Cheers!

• I like it 1

HPR, one I haven't tried myself.  Seeing your open bottles reinforced that vote.  Good BT comparisons to do with that lineup.

1 minute ago, Bourbon Fanatic said:

That's a great idea actually... I have been meaning to buy another WT101.

Cheers!

I am sure you will enjoy whatever you decide to open!

I went with SAOS 7 reason being if you can still find it and you like it you might want to pick up a backup, I could be wrong but I don't think they are doing the 7 & 10 yr releases anymore.

7 hours ago, Bourbon Fanatic said:

You're right! For anyone that cares, below is a picture of what I currently have open.

IMG_1418.thumb.JPG.c321880d16798752112b846ae98f713f.JPG

Cheers!

Since you have so much Sazerac/BT juice open, I voted for the SAOS.  It would be completely different from most everything you have there.

It's also very good.

22 hours ago, Mako254 said:

I noticed the Blantons after the post. 

I am setting up a mash bill 2 tasting for my family at thanksgiving. 

Ditto.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, fanostra said:

Ditto.

I’ve got hancocks elmer blantons and rhf. 

Are you starfing low proof to high proof?

Ah, ditto for the opening of the Hancock's (misread your post). But yes, that's how I've done that tasting before- minus the Hancock's and plus a Blanton's Gold and SFTB. 

I only recently picked up a Hancock's, and it only because it was a store pick and a lot cheaper than what I see in my area. Haven't done the "peer review" yet.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.