Jim Beam Distiller's Cut

miller542
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A new limited edition of Jim Beam has started showing up on shelves, Distiller's Cut.  Unfiltered, 50% abv, 5yrs old, $23, what's not to like?  As pricing is similar to the Black label, I wonder how it stacks up next to Beam Black, or Bonded.  Or even Baker's for that matter given similar age and proof.

If you can find it, please let us know what you think.  As a fan of all things Beam, I'll be a buyer when it hits Utah at $24+tax.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/limited-edition-jim-beam-distillers-cut-offers-bourbon-lovers-a-memorable-taste-for-the-holidays-300554693.html

https://www.maxim.com/entertainment/jim-beam-distillers-cut-2017-11

http://www.bourbonguy.com/blog/2017/11/21/jim-beam-distillers-cut

Edited by miller542
  • I like it 1

Not a big fan of the Beam labeled stuff, although I do like Baker's, KC, Booker's.  This one does pique my interest so I may have to grab a bottle.

This is worth taking a chance on for me due to the price. I've certainly spent a lot more on bottles that sucked. At the very least it would make a good mixer at 100 proof, but it may be decent enough neat. I do like Beam Black, even the NAS version.

Edited by silverc

Definitely not bad. Drinks lighter than its proof, but nothing exciting about it. For the price I like it better than several more costly choices, but not one I will worry about keeping on hand. 

I bought a bottle of this while visiting family in TN. Cracked it open this evening while watching some football. I really like this. It's got a nice mouthfeel, a long finish, and a good nose and palate of baking spices, caramel, and even a little honey. I am a fan of Beam black, even the NAS stuff, but this is much better than Black, for the same price. I will be buying more bottles of this in the future. It says "Limited Release" on the bottle, but I hope it's not challenging to find in the future because I am impressed for $23.

• I like it 1

22 hours ago, silverc said:

I bought a bottle of this while visiting family in TN. Cracked it open this evening while watching some football. I really like this. It's got a nice mouthfeel, a long finish, and a good nose and palate of baking spices, caramel, and even a little honey. I am a fan of Beam black, even the NAS stuff, but this is much better than Black, for the same price. I will be buying more bottles of this in the future. It says "Limited Release" on the bottle, but I hope it's not challenging to find in the future because I am impressed for $23.

THX for this.  How does it compare to JB BIB?  I, too, like the 8yr/double age but since the release of JB BIB, I have used EWB as my "low" proof bourbon mixer and JB BIB or EWW (depending on the cocktail) for the "high" proofer.  The only JBDC I have seen around here is $10 above the MSRP so I'm waiting for it to drift down.  Even then, the JB BIB is more than competitive at that price.

10 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

THX for this.  How does it compare to JB BIB?  I, too, like the 8yr/double age but since the release of JB BIB, I have used EWB as my "low" proof bourbon mixer and JB BIB or EWW (depending on the cocktail) for the "high" proofer.  The only JBDC I have seen around here is $10 above the MSRP so I'm waiting for it to drift down.  Even then, the JB BIB is more than competitive at that price.

I haven't had Beam BIB in a while, but I remember not liking it that much and I did find the Distiller's Cut to be surprisingly good, so I'd say I'd prefer that over the bonded, but I would have to do a side-by-side to compare. It's still worth a shot if you can find one for low $20's and see for yourself. At the very least you can use it temporarily as your high proof mixer.

What I am really curious about is how the Distiller's Cut (5-6 years, 100 proof, NCF) compares to the Beam Urban Stillhouse Select bottling (4 years, 100 proof, NCF, but at ~$45 a bottle). The next time I am in Louisville, I may pick one of those up, but if it's basically the same as the DC, then it would be a tougher sell for 1-2 years less age and 2x the price.

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, silverc said:

I haven't had Beam BIB in a while, but I remember not liking it that much and I did find the Distiller's Cut to be surprisingly good, so I'd say I'd prefer that over the bonded, but I would have to do a side-by-side to compare. It's still worth a shot if you can find one for low $20's and see for yourself. At the very least you can use it temporarily as your high proof mixer.

What I am really curious about is how the Distiller's Cut (5-6 years, 100 proof, NCF) compares to the Beam Urban Stillhouse Select bottling (4 years, 100 proof, NCF, but at ~$45 a bottle). The next time I am in Louisville, I may pick one of those up, but if it's basically the same as the DC, then it would be a tougher sell for 1-2 years less age and 2x the price.

May as well grab an Old Tub BIB while your there and add it to the group.

I had this at a recent "college party" with students, for starters I commend the kids for not buying JD Honey. I didn't do a formal tasting session, with plastic cups and all, but here's my first impression: I fail to see where this is supposed to stand next to the BIB (or even the Black). There wasn't much of a difference to warrant a new limited release imho.

Edited by Kane

7 hours ago, Kane said:

I had this at a recent "college party" with students, for starters I commend the kids for not buying JD Honey. I didn't do a formal tasting session, with plastic cups and all, but here's my first impression: I fail to see where this is supposed to stand next to the BIB (or even the Black). There wasn't much of a difference to warrant a new limited release imho.

I'm definitely interested in doing a SBS with this and the other 100 proof Beams (KC/JB BIB/Old Tub) the biggest difference apart from Batching/Age is that it is NCF.

• 1 month later...

My Dad cracked a bottle of this on Christmas Eve (he had a free sample in the store that got him to give the bottle a try, and thought it was pretty good in that setting).  In a more proper setting and studied tasting, we were both pretty impressed.  Didn't have a BIB to compare to, but my recollection of the BIB was underwhelming.  I thought this had a better mouthfeel, and more intense flavor.  Hate that this is "limited" - I'd love to see this stay and the BIB go personally.  I also liked the Double-Oak despite not being a big oak fan, but I think has just the right amount of oak.  Until this, the ET BIB was hands-down my favorite new favorite in terms of enjoyment per dollar is concerned.  I'd love to do a blind SBS with those two, as I think this might be a run for that!

57 minutes ago, GaryT said:

Hate that this is "limited" - I'd love to see this stay and the BIB go personally. 

Beam's lines are a bit confusing with the overlap right now.  With the resurgence of BIB, I don't see the Beam Bonded going away, but I agree with you, I'd rather keep the Distiller's Cut and ditch the Bonded.  Get rid of Devil's Cut too while we're at it and restore the Black label to what it once was.

I'm really liking Distiller's Cut as it scratches the itch for the Beam profile perfectly and at a reasonable price.  I just keep going back to how complete a package it is - 100pf, ncf, age-stated, $25 or less.  Is there any other non-chill filtered bourbon available under $30?  Early Times BIB and HHBIB6yr may be the only two that can compete in terms of value and would make for a fun comparison for those who live in areas where those are available.  Turns out the current state of value bourbons maybe isn't so bad after all!

Packaging on Distiller's Cut states this is the inaugural release which makes me curious to see if they continue this with another Limited Release in 2018 and what it will be.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, miller542 said:

Beam's lines are a bit confusing with the overlap right now.  With the resurgence of BIB, I don't see the Beam Bonded going away, but I agree with you, I'd rather keep the Distiller's Cut and ditch the Bonded.  Get rid of Devil's Cut too while we're at it and restore the Black label to what it once was.

I'm really liking Distiller's Cut as it scratches the itch for the Beam profile perfectly and at a reasonable price.  I just keep going back to how complete a package it is - 100pf, ncf, age-stated, $25 or less.  Is there any other non-chill filtered bourbon available under $30?  Early Times BIB and HHBIB6yr may be the only two that can compete in terms of value and would make for a fun comparison for those who live in areas where those are available.  Turns out the current state of value bourbons maybe isn't so bad after all!

Packaging on Distiller's Cut states this is the inaugural release which makes me curious to see if they continue this with another Limited Release in 2018 and what it will be.

Agree, and wondered the same thing about what 2018 might bring.  Just in case, I picked up two bottles of this today (was planning on just one, but the first store was sold out which triggered my anxiety that it is going fast).  

I can't think of another NCF bourbon under $30.  With bourbon, it seems the NCF is typically offered on the higher proof labels.  I think that is definitely a big difference on this one.  Other than a bit more age at 5-6 yrs (assuming the BIB is the minimum 4 yrs old), I think the NCF is what makes this one stand out.  Of course where the barrels are aged, etc all make a difference.  

2 hours ago, GaryT said:

I think the NCF is what makes this one stand out.  

NCF can make a big difference. I was just speaking to someone last night who has had NCF standard Maker's and he says that the difference is remarkable.

• I like it 1

I enjoyed it. In NC it is the exact same price as Black & Double Oak. I definitely liked it more than the Black and equal to the Double Oak. It has some character. Definitely not vanilla heavy. To my palate it manages to be sweet and salty at the same time. Some citrus, peanut brittle and mint. Worth a try IMHO.

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked one up and opened it today.  I'll echo all the positive feed back above.  Score this as another great find from reading SB.com.  I probably would have passed it by otherwise.

My opinion is Beam selected some very nice 5 to 6 year old barrels and did not chill filter.  I plan to bunker a couple.

Back when Jefferson's had the 10 year 100 proof rye; a store near me got a batch that was NCF.  I thought it was much better than the regular version.

My understanding is that companies chill filter anything under 100 proof for fear it could appear a little cloudy.

Hey Steve, I'd be all over NCF Maker's Mark.

6 hours ago, Bourbon....Neat! said:

Has anyone seen this is California?  I still have not been able to find it anywhere.

Congeners have been found by the state of California to cause cancer.  :-P

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, rjg1701 said:

Congeners have been found by the state of California to cause cancer.  :-P

What (exactly) HASN'T been found by the land of fruits and nuts NOT to be a cancer risk?    Anything consumable?

16 hours ago, Bourbon....Neat! said:

Has anyone seen this is California?  I still have not been able to find it anywhere.

We on the left coast get everything last. It will show up eventually.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.