Restocking Drinking Shelf

Bob_Loblaw
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The hunting season is over in my area and I have successfully cleared every open bottle on my drinking shelf so it's time to restock!  The shelf holds 16 bottles and I am going to stock it all at once and commit to only drinking those bottles until everything is gone.  Doing it this way for a few reasons 1) curious about consumption rate, how long until the shelf is empty?  2) I know myself and would always crack another W107 or ER and never open the rare stuff, and 3) I want to keep a smallish bottle count so I can work my way through the bottles as I develop my pallet.

Here are the bottles I have ready to go: 1) W12; 2) ER PS; 3) EHSiB; 4) WLW 2017; 5) VW Lot B; 6) ECBP B517; 7) 4RPS; 8) WT Decades; 9) HW MWND; 10) EWSiB 2007; 11) RY10; 12) Blantons; 13) ETL; 14) KCSiB PS; 15) Yamazaki 12 (a few friends are Scotch drinkers); 16) one open slot.  In addition, I have two vattings that are both full and thus get included as freebies, a GW4G and SB W100 blend.

Now before the outcry for all the great value bourbons I am forsaking here are  the loopholes.  Hey my game, my rules. ;)  1) a bottomless cocktail bottle (VOB, HH6, Old Fitz , OGD etc . . .); 2) a bottomless garage bottle.  Reason is my father in law enjoys the "garage party" and prefers Johnny Walker, no thanks.  This covers bottles like WT101, W107, HMK.  More of a summer issue.  3) gifts do not count. If someone gives me a nice bottle I am going to open and enjoy with them.  

I plan on doing a lot of blind SBS and also taking more tasting notes during this experiment.  I will say off the bat I am most concerned with only having one 4R bottle, but figure I can sneak in a regular SiB through the garage bottle loophole.  There is one gift bottle that will be headed my way as a result of a well made wager by me, but that will be posted when in hand.  It's a monster so I am very excited and will post once I have it.  

So, what would you say is missing from my shelf?  What would you remove/replace it with?  Looking forward to getting into these bottles and expanding on my bourbon journey!  

Bottom shelfers.  You left out bottom shelfers. I think you need one to remind you of what's out there.  EWB (86 proof), 4R (80 proof), JBB (86 proof), VOB, etc., come to mind.

There's an old (maybe three years ago) SB topic about how much do we consume as bourbon geeks.  Figuring 750 ml = about 25.4 oz. and figuring, for a bonded bourbon, 17 pours (at a little less than 1.5 oz.) per bottle, and figuring per the National Institutes of Health's Dietary Guidelines say that an average-sized male in good health likely could consume two such drinks a day without damage (absent external factors like fights, girlfriends, cars, or bad food), I figure you could consume about 42 750ml bottles of 100 proof a year if you drank no other alcohol.

I look forward to hearing whether your experience fits with the "ideal".:o

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.