BTAC/ PVW strike outs?

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Nada here..but no one has had their lottery yet that I am aware of.  TW holds there next June I believe.  One other local should be doing a lottery right after first of the year.  The other couple that I'm aware of all do it thru their rewards program..which I don't have enough "points" to qualify for anything.

• I like it 1

Not even really looking this year.

I've saved a lot of time and gasoline.

...and surprisingly I haven't run out of good whiskey to drink around the house either.

:)

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 2

Nothing has arrived in Kansas City yet, at least on the MO side.  I've got 4 irons in the fire, though...  Hopefully one pans out.

FWIW, I'm not a participant in the game this year. I'm just a bemused spectator watching from the box seats. :P (FWIW, no ill will intended.)

Sláinte! Joe

• I like it 1

Only if Kroger draws my name out of the box.  Otherwise, I'm not even looking for any.

For two weeks now, I've been checking our porch every few hours.  Nothing has shown up yet.  Well, some squirrel droppings.  IOW, more for you guys.

• I like it 2

same here, goose egg, but I haven't really been looking as much this year.  I was talking with a buddy of mine in the distribution biz and he was saying you've got to be really well connected or a lunatic to get any of the LE's this year.  It's just pure craziness how out of control this has gotten.  So I've just been enjoying the things I can find on the shelf without too much trouble.

• I like it 2

So this must have been reverse mojo. 

This is my pappy. There are many like it, but this one is mine. 

A727A741-69A7-4509-B698-1091F411A04E.jpeg

• I like it 5

3 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

So this must have been reverse mojo. 

This is my pappy. There are many like it, but this one is mine. 

A727A741-69A7-4509-B698-1091F411A04E.jpeg

Kinda like the day I was whining about ECBP availability and then the next day i found 2 PHC11s and an EC18 and passed on a bunch of ECBP.

Congrats.

• I like it 3

I am definitely wanting some, but the only store around me that was going to have a lottery decided to close the doors and that meant no lottery.  I asked about the bottles that were supposed to have been in the lottery and was given the run around.

I also walked into another LS a couple weeks ago and was greeted by an employee asking what I was looking for.  I responded with any of the special bourbons that are starting to show up.  She said well today is your lucky day, but only the manager can help you with those.  So I walk over to the manager to inquire and was told they did not get anything.  So I know the manager was lying to me, and that tells me where I stand with that LS going forward.  I just dont know what I missed out on.

• I like it 1

The prices I have seen on the shelves have been too rich for my blood, I have a shot at some of the VW stuff still from one of the local chains but I'm not holding my breath.

• I like it 1

I’ve been in the “hobby”for over three years now and had never seen an LE until last month when I saw a GTS 17 hiding behind the counter.  The clerk sold it to me for $249 and I got out of that store fast before the owner came back - pretty sure it was supposed to sell for $400-500 as they have subsequently shown up in other local stores for that price. We NEVER see msrp or close to msrp here in Middle GA when it comes to LEs

Edited by starhopper
  • I like it 1

I’ve been in the “hobby”for over three years now and had never seen an LE until last month when I saw a GTS 17 hiding behind the counter.  The clerk sold it to me for $249 and I got out of that store fast before the owner came back - pretty sure it was supposed to sell for $400-500 as they have subsequently shown up in other local stores for that price. We NEVER see msrp or close to msrp here in Middle GA when it comes to LEs

I don't think you should automatically assume that the price was supposed to be higher. I've seen so many different pricing and selling methods in my area for LE bourbon that it makes my head spin. There are stores that put it out on the shelf at high premium or secondary pricing; there are other stores that keep it in the back, and if you ask for it or they think you might be interested, they'll sell it to you at a premium (not secondary pricing) if you happen to be there on the right day and time; there are stores that have clubs that the LE stuff is only sold to...sometimes at a premium and sometimes not; there are stores that just hold stuff for their best customers and sell at suggested retail and then there are the stores that have raffles or something like that and usually sell at retail. The only stores where you ever see the LE items on the shelf are the high premium and secondary pricing stores. I'd say the store you bought from was just a high premium store, but you know your market better than I do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In Chicagoland our Pappy's went out the weekend before Thanksgiving.  I lost out on the lottery at The Liquor Barn.  My name got pulled, but for a bottle of Parker's Heritage, but I unfortunately passed on that.  Last year I won their lottery for a bottle of ORVW, but their retail on the bottle was $90.  This year, I caught wind of Binny's Pappy shipment and came in and begged the store manager for a bottle.  They actually allocate by your purchase history there.  Luckily I had purchased a few $$$ bottles there recently which allowed me to by a bottle of ORVW for $70 (even cheaper than the bottle of Midwinters Dram I had bought from them a few days earlier).  When I inquired at a few other stores in the area, they had completed their auctions already by Thanksgiving.  I was hoping for a bottle of Van Winkle 12 this year as I had celebrated my 12th anniversary.  

11 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

I don't think you should automatically assume that the price was supposed to be higher. I've seen so many different pricing and selling methods in my area for LE bourbon that it makes my head spin. There are stores that put it out on the shelf at high premium or secondary pricing; there are other stores that keep it in the back, and if you ask for it or they think you might be interested, they'll sell it to you at a premium (not secondary pricing) if you happen to be there on the right day and time; there are stores that have clubs that the LE stuff is only sold to...sometimes at a premium and sometimes not; there are stores that just hold stuff for their best customers and sell at suggested retail and then there are the stores that have raffles or something like that and usually sell at retail. The only stores where you ever see the LE items on the shelf are the high premium and secondary pricing stores. I'd say the store you bought from was just a high premium store, but you know your market better than I do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The reason I know it should have been around 400-500 is because I suspect ALL of the store owners communicate with each other and seem to set the LE prices in the same ballpark.  You can find the GTS in several stores around town and all just about the same price.  NO ONE sells it for $249 !

Edited by starhopper

Spoke too soon, scored a Handy today for $99 plus tax. Probably my last choice but at least I didn't get gouged. 

3 hours ago, brschoppe said:

In Chicagoland our Pappy's went out the weekend before Thanksgiving.  I lost out on the lottery at The Liquor Barn.  My name got pulled, but for a bottle of Parker's Heritage, but I unfortunately passed on that.  Last year I won their lottery for a bottle of ORVW, but their retail on the bottle was $90.  This year, I caught wind of Binny's Pappy shipment and came in and begged the store manager for a bottle.  They actually allocate by your purchase history there.  Luckily I had purchased a few $$$ bottles there recently which allowed me to by a bottle of ORVW for $70 (even cheaper than the bottle of Midwinters Dram I had bought from them a few days earlier).  When I inquired at a few other stores in the area, they had completed their auctions already by Thanksgiving.  I was hoping for a bottle of Van Winkle 12 this year as I had celebrated my 12th anniversary.  

A guy on Instagram posted his haul and receipt from Binny's for like every LE I have wanted. I messaged him and chatted a tiny pit and he sent me pictures of the back room where they had cases and cases and Pappy/ORVW. Was incredible since I haven't come across most of them anywhere here in AZ, but they had like everything in one place. 

On 12/5/2017 at 10:54 PM, Bnrhodes3 said:

A guy on Instagram posted his haul and receipt from Binny's for like every LE I have wanted. I messaged him and chatted a tiny pit and he sent me pictures of the back room where they had cases and cases and Pappy/ORVW. Was incredible since I haven't come across most of them anywhere here in AZ, but they had like everything in one place. 

that's crazy, not surprised they get so much, they do so much business in the area.  and they had some crazies following the trucks from the distributors to Binny's a couple years back, so I'm guessing that's why they hold back the LE's to the best customers now.

• I like it 1

Not a thing here outside of a bottle of ECBP.  Entered a couple lotteries with no luck.  No point hunting in NC.  It's either in a lottery or spoken for on arrival. 

On 12/1/2017 at 1:59 PM, petrel800 said:

Haven't left the dug out for an at bat since 2014.  It's relaxing, give it a try.

Also, I have surprised myself more than once by finding something in a back corner of the bunker that I'd forgotten about.  OR, like that MMCS store pick I liked so much I bought two more of and left one in the car trunk, I can go ahead and open one and add it to the rotation. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.