BTAC/ PVW strike outs?

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

8 minutes ago, Charlutz said:

In all seriousness, what were you going to do if you won? 

He’d have had a terrific entry in the what bourbon you passed up today thread. :D

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Charlutz said:

In all seriousness, what were you going to do if you won? I’ve yet to get picked in any of the MoCo lotteries but as a local from one county over, I am a bit protective of it. They shut down the van winkle lottery this year to non MoCo residents and added ETL and EC18 to lottery when they had been first come first serve and I’d hate to see them limit their other lotteries. 

When I posted that I knew I was going to at least one comment like this.  I simply played by the rules that were afforded to me.  If I had won I would then have weighed my cost of road-tripping to pick it up.  I would gain other benefits with a road trip (sight seeing, visiting family, etc.) so all the cost would not be tied directly to the cost of a bottle.

I understand your protectiveness but there was nothing "unfairly" done. Out of area entries obviously decrease your chance of winning but I also imagine there will be a lot of bottles going back out for being unclaimed.  I don't see what would cause them to limit other lotteries other than having to deal with sheer volume of entries...or complaints from MoCo residents.

Most lotteries I've seen do limit to local residents.  I think there are a few that don't.  Idaho?

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

When I posted that I knew I was going to at least one comment like this.  I simply played by the rules that were afforded to me.  If I had won I would then have weighed my cost of road-tripping to pick it up.  I would gain other benefits with a road trip (sight seeing, visiting family, etc.) so all the cost would not be tied directly to the cost of a bottle.

I understand your protectiveness but there was nothing "unfairly" done. Out of area entries obviously decrease your chance of winning but I also imagine there will be a lot of bottles going back out for being unclaimed.  I don't see what would cause them to limit other lotteries other than having to deal with sheer volume of entries...or complaints from MoCo residents.

If you reread my post you will see it was a bit more objectively neutral than I think you took it. If you were going to come out here and buy it, no problem. If you were entering just for the fun of it, then it has the potential of screwing things for the locals by causing a bottle to drop into the unclaimed/wait list and messing with other people’s selections. I mostly was curious if we’ve gotten to the point where people would travel halfway across the country to buy a bottle. We’re good. 

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, dcbt said:

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember reading that VA ABC limits their lottos to state residents only.

The VA ABC does limit their lotteries to in-state residents but MoCo is Md and they’re a little more liberal with their lottery. At first glance it does seem weird but it’s their stores and they can set their own rules. As long as everyone knows beforehand. ;)

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

Most lotteries I've seen do limit to local residents.  I think there are a few that don't.  Idaho?

Who else but us bourbon geeks would know the lottery rules from sea to shining sea, let alone know what MoCo stands for. :D

3 hours ago, Clueby said:

Correct. Idaho is open. I've never won anything there but a co-worker has. He has family in Spokane (just across the border) so it's easy enough for him to snag it.

I just checked my email and I saw something from the ABC. I rose up out of my seat thinking it was an email saying I won a PVW. Alas it was just the monthly newsletter. :blink:

2 hours ago, DCFan said:

I just checked my email and I saw something from the ABC. I rose up out of my seat thinking it was an email saying I won a PVW. Alas it was just the monthly newsletter. :blink:

Well that sucks.:D

I didn't strike out, but my achieving Grand Reserve status at Total Wine in Texas got me F all, and one of my long standing store relationships went to the dark side. Saved me a GTS...for $400. Told him no thanks. Guess that place is done.

• I like it 1

I didn't strike out, but my achieving Grand Reserve status at Total Wine in Texas got me F all, and one of my long standing store relationships went to the dark side. Saved me a GTS...for $400. Told him no thanks. Guess that place is done.

It absolutely amazes me when a store does that. I guess they must think that the additional profit they make by marking up LE bottles to secondary prices will offset the business they lose from their former regular customers that they used to reward for their business with reasonably priced LE stuff. There are a few that have done that in my area, and I seldom, if ever, darken their door anymore.
  • I like it 1

On 2/1/2018 at 5:30 PM, DCFan said:

I just checked mine and....

Congratulations!
You have been awarded the opportunity to purchase
Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 Year Bourbon.

:lol:

Surely I’m not the only one that came up with a goose egg so far this season. 
You're not alone but so what. There are so many good bourbons out there that are readily accessible that I have decided to give up the hunt for the overpriced unicorns.
  • I like it 1

I no longer have any desire for any of these. I am tired of the whole LE thing. Just as happy with whatever is available. Much of what is available is just as good as some of the supposed LEs. Cost vs. benefit.
Absolutely, this whole LE thing is lining someone else's pocket at your cost. Took me too many LE bottles to realize that. A lot of it is about ego, being able to say I have this or that in my bunker.
  • I like it 2

18 hours ago, marshbound said:

Congrats! I got bupkus with my 3 entries but my final shot will be next week. ;)

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, DCFan said:

Congrats! I got bupkus with my 3 entries but my final shot will be next week. ;)

Thanks.  I would like to attribute it to my years of training, and family support throughout the process.   Not to mention those who kept me on the bourbon path when surrounded by the temptation of great beer.   ;)

21 minutes ago, marshbound said:

Thanks.  I would like to attribute it to my years of training, and family support throughout the process.   Not to mention those who kept me on the bourbon path when surrounded by the temptation of great beer.   ;)

So you going to give me a taste? I haven’t forgotten about our excursion to Dogfish, which I paid for btw. And I’m always up for another bourbon tasting.

9 hours ago, DCFan said:

So you going to give me a taste? I haven’t forgotten about our excursion to Dogfish, which I paid for btw. And I’m always up for another bourbon tasting.

Hummm......might be able to work out an acceptable arrangement......   One of these days you may hit the lottery if you don't kick the bucket first, it might be a way to expand our palates a bit.

On 2/5/2018 at 2:03 PM, marshbound said:

Congratulations.  I'm on a slump here, but still holding out hope for next week's.

2 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

Congratulations.  I'm on a slump here, but still holding out hope for next week's.

Here I was feeling so good especially coming off my EC23 win (98 bottles) that this offering with 1316 bottles the only question was if we'd get more than one winner in the family. Oh well, onto next week. 

16 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

New to this avenue but pleased to get my first win.  I fully plan on drinking it, am making a list of folks with whom to share.  

18 hours ago, DCFan said:

Here I was feeling so good especially coming off my EC23 win (98 bottles) that this offering with 1316 bottles the only question was if we'd get more than one winner in the family. Oh well, onto next week. 

That was a pretty good one.  My best one to date was the EH Taylor Barrel Proof (actually the wife won that one).  The only one that I've won in the past year was the EH Taylor Small Batch and that one also shows up as a non-lottery item from time to time.

• I like it 1

Cheapest bottle I found was an ORVW for 199.99 and a PVW 15 for 499.99.  I found 0 BTAC.  Last year I go hunting, period.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.