Most You Would Pay For A 750ml Bottle?

Saul_cooperstein
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Interested to see where breaking point is...

You walk into a licensed liquor store and on the shelf behind the counter you see a bottles of BTAC, Pappy, ORVW25, Michters 25, aged Willett or whatever else is your ultimate pinnacle bourbon. What is the most you would pay these days for a bottle?

From a drinking standpoint I think I would top out at $200-300...

$300 is the most I've ever been willing to go for either GTS or WLW. $200 has been my limit for certain 4R LE SmB's. Thus, I've been priced out for some time now unless I find it as MSRP. 

I won't pay that price willy nilly however. I average it out with the ones I do find at MSRP. If I can keep the GTS and WLW averaged at about $175 and the 4R at $125 then I will do it. 

I've never found any of the VW's at a secondary price I could successfully average out so I've only purchased at MSRP but I would pay $200 for PVW15 and the rye (just one or two, I wouldn't go crazy). I wouldn't pay above MSRP for any of the others. 

I paid several years ago $185 for a 25 year old Rittenhouse. Probably would do the same for PVW 23

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

• I like it 1

Unless I move in to a 7 figure income bracket, I think I would top out at ~$400-$500 for some older scotches or PVW23 (I think that is the Total Wine price if you are able to get it). I've never flipped anything before, but if I ever did get my hands on a PVW23 (no likely), I would possibly consider trying to let it go for ~$2000, buying myself a pour at a local bar just to try it, then sinking the rest back in to other bourbons I've wanted to try lol.  

I've also capped myself at ~$200-$250 for some of the other LEs (BTAC/EC23). Some more readily available scotches I may consider in the $300-$400 range (my brother has wanted the Glenlivet 25yr for a few years, and I've been considering grabbing a bottle and splitting it up between us). 

Most I've paid is $300 for Booker's Rye. Recently bought a pappy 15 from a retailer for $260, which was about as high as I was willing to go for that one.  BTAC I've gone as high as 250 but usually am able to find it in the 100-180 range

Got my first George T Stagg this year for $259 - most I've ever paid for a bourbon, and the very first time I've actually seen the bottle!

Edited by starhopper

Hmmm - for bourbon, probably $250 (PVW20 last year - $229.97).  Won't pay over MSRP for BTAC either (luckily I haven't need to since the lottery goddess has looked kindly upon me this year and last).  For scotch, forget about it (The Macallan 25 - $*,***.** to only drink with my sons-in-law).  For cognac, never mind  - used to drink Hennessy Paradis and Remy Louis XIII back in the 80s (now can't touch the stuff 'cause it give me heart palpitations in the middle of the night, thank goodness!).   :D

And don't get me started about Fine Wines, please.  :wacko:

Edited by GeeTen

I just paid $200 for the EC23 I won in the ABC lottery.  I would've paid the $1800 for the ORVW25 some months back if I had won that lottery. And I'll be entering the lottery for the "PVW Collection" which will go for $999.99 next week.

$164 after tax was what I paid for Al Young. 

$200 would be my limit for anything I think. 

The most I’ve paid is $115 for my SFTB. I wouldn’t pay over $125 for anything. I’ve never tried any BTAC. I wouldn’t spend more than retail for it prior to trying it. I’ve tried PVW15. While I thought it was really good, I’m not a big enough wheater fan to pay more than $100 for a bottle. 

The law of diminishing returns really kicks in for me around $50. There are so many bottles I thoroughly enjoy between $25-$50 that I feel I’d be setting myself up for disappointment if I spent more than $125 for anything. Maybe ignorance is bliss?

• I like it 1

Most I've ever paid is +- $250 (just this past September at the HH Gift Shop).    At retail establishments I've never exceeded $170 . . . so far.

But, in fairness to the possibilities of the future, I'd have to say depending upon what's in the bottle, I might go up to $300.

...Although I can't actually imagine paying that for any iteration of Pappy, nor any of the BTAC currently available.

More for scotch than bourbon. More for bourbon than wine. I don't know that I have a psychological barrier price. It depends on my assessment of value relative to what I can afford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$150 for WT Decades is my top so far.  I live in a control state, so the ABC stores can't charge more than MSRP.  If I had a shot at EC23 or something unusual like that I would probably choke up $200-$300. 

Being fairly new to this tasty hobby, I have been fortunate enough to score a couple of limited release bottles. I paid 145.00 for Parkers 11 which I was a bit hesitant but this and frequent visits put me high up on my honey hole LS list for a call for other stuff which paid off as I scored a GTS for 125.00. The LS I scored these does mark up a little but not too bad. So If they keep me high on their list I will gladly pay for what interests me. I don't plan on paying more than 200.00 for anything.

• I like it 1

It's funny, when I started this journey $50 was my limit.  Couldn't see the need to pay any more than that as there were plenty of bottles at that price or below that I wanted to try.  Then Liquor Barn had a PS of MM46 with the 10 staves sooooo, my limit went to $75.  Then I got in line when the EC18 was released and my limit went to $150.  If my name were drawn for a VW at retail I would move my limit to that point.  Also if I could find a GTS or WLW under $200 I would probably pull out the wallet.

My answer, $150 so far and . . . I'll let you know when they draw my name. 

• I like it 1

The most I've ever paid for a bottle of whiskey is $400 tax included. I highly doubt I'd pay more than that for anything.

For something I would consume, probably $150, but that would be a one-time, been-there/done-that buy.  And would be close to msrp for what ever bottle it is.  I'd consider going higher if the bottle was at msrp and on my list.  Think EC23, older PVW, etc.  

My comfort zone is exceeded at $100, partially because I don't consider my palate worthy of too large of a purchase, and partially because there is too much good bourbon at $60.  

Now, if the right opportunity presented itself, and i had a mind to flip something, I guess I'd pay for an expensive one.  I've never done that, and wouldn't know where to start, so that's not likely.  Sounds like a hassle...

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, DCFan said:

I just paid $200 for the EC23 I won in the ABC lottery.  I would've paid the $1800 for the ORVW25 some months back if I had won that lottery. And I'll be entering the lottery for the "PVW Collection" which will go for $999.99 next week.

I saw this. Isn’t it for a 23 ($270); 15 ($100); 12 ($70) and 10($69)? So they are hitting you with a 100% markup to get all 4 at once? 

3 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

I saw this. Isn’t it for a 23 ($270); 15 ($100); 12 ($70) and 10($69)? So they are hitting you with a 100% markup to get all 4 at once? 

- You are only allowed to enter once a day. 

- You MUST be 21 or older.

- Show up at one of the Kentucky Wine and Spirits Shops. Entries will start on 11/27/17 and will draw on 12/9/17 at 9am.

- No guarantee which year will be at which location. 

- Two names will be drawn for each bottle. The first name drawn will be the winner and the 2nd name will be the backup.

- The winner will have 48 hours to purchase the bottle after they receive the phone call informing them they won. 

Here are the years they will be offering:

10 year - $59.49
12 year - $69.49
15 year - $93.49
20 year - $151.99
23 year - $235.49

Oh and $250-$300 would be my absolute limit. And that’s only for something like PVW23 or Booker’s Rye at MSRP.  

Don’t think I would do the WHH 15 at $250, but I may change my mind in the moment. 

Rest of the LE my general price limit is the Binny’s markup which ranges from 20-30% above MSRP in my experience 

Edited by Bob_Loblaw

Hey Horses, 

Sorry if my post was unclear, was asking about VA lottery not Kroger KY drawings. My cousin enters lotteries for me and I was trying to figure out why I would want the $999 package. 

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Hey Horses, 

Sorry if my post was unclear, was asking about VA lottery not Kroger KY drawings. My cousin enters lotteries for me and I was trying to figure out why I would want the $999 package. 

Oh, yeah no problem.. i just knew I had seen those prices recently and was shocked at how low they were for someone who actually only has to pay retail.  

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.