Most You Would Pay For A 750ml Bottle?

Saul_cooperstein
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Guess I will be one of the few that will let the rich take over the hard to get bourbons. I will continue to enjoy my weller Antique 107 and OGD114.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I like it 3

45 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

I saw this. Isn’t it for a 23 ($270); 15 ($100); 12 ($70) and 10($69)? So they are hitting you with a 100% markup to get all 4 at once? 

I believe those are the numbers. That's the first time I can recall that they're basing the price on something along the lines of fair market value instead of msrp. This is the downside of dealing with a government run monopoly - there is no competition to turn to other than driving across state lines.

The most I would pay for a 750mL bottle is $100.

That's not to say some of the limiteds priced at $130, $150, $200+ aren't worth it, because some are, I'm just not buying them.  There are plenty of reasonably priced bourbons to enjoy and plenty of other pursuits outside of bourbon that are a better use of that extra $$$.

7 minutes ago, BigPapa said:

Guess I will be one of the few that will let the rich take over the hard to get bourbons. I will continue to enjoy my weller Antique 107 and OGD114.

Be prepared to spend $100 around here to get an OWA.

5 hours ago, starhopper said:

Got my first George T Stagg this year for $259 - most I've ever paid for a bourbon, and the very first time I've actually seen the bottle!

Now I'm kicking myself. Last week I was in a call-in lottery, and I went with an Elmer T Lee for $45 & a WSR for $29 over a George T Stagg for $115. 

When it gets to that price in my area . I will find something else[emoji106]

35 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Geez..meet me half way with a mwnd and ill get you owa for $29 all day long...crazy how different these markets are. No HWMWND here ever. 

5 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Geez..meet me half way with a mwnd and ill get you owa for $29 all day long...crazy how different these markets are. No HWMWND here ever. 

Oh I won't PAY $100 for OWA.  Occasionally you find it for $30s. I got one bottle a year and a half ago from TW for $22. I found some in KC recently for $25. There wasn't much MWND here. It went fast for $90-$120. The bottle I got was from a Chicago Binny's for $80.

As I was typing this I was in the parking lot of a LS. Just went in to check. Two OWA for $100, ETL for $130, a bunch of Blanton's for $90, Entrapment for $200. At least they lowered their Willett Pot Still from $100 to $80. The boom is not over!

Back on topic...I think the most I could bring myself to pay would be $200 for a single bottle. I think my highest so far was $130 or $140. KY OWL Rye or FRSmBLE 17.

My decade-long arbitrary limit of $90 remains intact. 

So much good bourbon under $60, the value ratio goes off for me above that range. 

• I like it 2

My limit has normally been $375-$380, which equates to about $23 per 1.5 oz pour, which I justify as the equivalent to a $20 pour plus tip at a bar or restaurant.  

While I am enjoying this thread I can’t help but notice that we are only hearing from for the most part the budget minded drinkers. And despite my latest purchase and the PVW’s I have so far been unsuccessful in purchasing I would categorize myself as a budget minded buyer. I am perfectly happy with bourbons in the $20-$60 range because that’s what I basically buy.

But where are the big spenders on this board? We see the bunker photos. We see the photos from those who empty shelves. We hear about the latest LE’s that were bought. Come on and speak up you high rollers. We won’t think any less of you than we already do. J/K. :D

Edited by DCFan

The most I have paid is $475. I've gone over the $300 level a few times. I'd go higher than $475 for some very specific things, but none of the things I'd pay that type of price for are current products. I am a slave to the old ryes, so if I ever come across a reputable store still holding onto some of the old CoK/Medley sourced releases I'll have to really start contemplating my limits. 

3 minutes ago, BottledInBond said:

The most I have paid is $475. I've gone over the $300 level a few times. I'd go higher than $475 for some very specific things,

Now we're talking! ;)

I'm a lot cheaper than you all. The most I have ever paid was $60 for Bookers and Rock Hill Farms. Those purchases were years ago, so I guess I could stretch it to about $75 these days, if there was something I really wanted.

Tim

PS - But I am retired and live on a mainly fixed income. I also still have an adult son living at home.

Edited by ratcheer
add the PS
  • I like it 1

I've probably paid $100-200 for a bottle a couple dozen times depending on the type of whiskey, mostly at or a little above MSRP. Given the rarity I would happily pay 200-300 for any of the BTAC or lower aged Van Winkles and 300-500 for the pappys or Bookers rye, perhaps. I don't know if I could bring myself to paying more than that unless it was a really special occasion, perhaps one of the high aged LE Ardbegs for a major promotion or something. Generally I think 2x msrp is my limit on any bourbon. If I happened across an ORVW25 at retail I suppose I'd find it hard to say no.....

I guess mine would be around $250. Have never paid more than that. Below are the bottles that were purchased at that price.

-Bought a PVW 23 2014 vintage.

-Bought 2 Bookers Rye. Keep 1 & 1 went to a fellow SB member.

-Bought 3 PH24. Keep 2 & 1 went to a fellow SB member.

Edited by Louisiana

2 hours ago, miller542 said:

The most I would pay for a 750mL bottle is $100.

That's not to say some of the limiteds priced at $130, $150, $200+ aren't worth it, because some are, I'm just not buying them.  There are plenty of reasonably priced bourbons to enjoy and plenty of other pursuits outside of bourbon that are a better use of that extra $$$.

I was about to post almost this exact response though I haven't yet tasted a bottle of anything that I would value over 100.00 regardless of its scarcity. I have had many outstanding pours over the years but still 100.00 is rich enough for my taste. The OGD114 rule takes few prisoners, if bottle "X" doesn't blow me away to the point where I would reach for it and pay the premium over 114, then on the shelf it stays, or behind the glass or guarded by dragons or whatever other nonsense and mystery surrounds the bottles of unobtanium in todays bourbon galaxy.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, typf2 said:

Now I'm kicking myself. Last week I was in a call-in lottery, and I went with an Elmer T Lee for $45 & a WSR for $29 over a George T Stagg for $115. 

I sympathize with you, I would say most people here would snap someone's arm off to get GTS for that price. Personally I would pay double, or 2 1/2 times that no problem. I think 2-300 is a fair price for it and probably MSRP should be around there. Elmer T Lee is great when you can find it, but 45 is at the top end of its valuation for me. WSR, I don't even bother getting it at any price, and I generally see it all over the place.

• I like it 1

35 minutes ago, Theiano said:

I sympathize with you, I would say most people here would snap someone's arm off to get GTS for that price. Personally I would pay double, or 2 1/2 times that no problem. I think 2-300 is a fair price for it and probably MSRP should be around there. Elmer T Lee is great when you can find it, but 45 is at the top end of its valuation for me. WSR, I don't even bother getting it at any price, and I generally see it all over the place.

2 hours ago, starhopper said:

Oh my - I’d kick you too lol

I'm new to the bourbon game! Had no idea it was that hard to get your hands on. I'm glad I'll know for next time. Saw the much higher proof and was leery to pull the trigger. I'm consistently in that 80-100 proof range until I get comfortable with the spice or burn if you will of higher proof whiskeys.

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, BigPapa said:

Paying hundreds for a single bottle or buying OWA by the case....same difference. 

• I like it 1

15 minutes ago, Canarse said:

Paying hundreds for a single bottle or buying OWA by the case....same difference. 

It's really not. In one instance you have (6) bottles, in the other, you have (1) bottle.

Don't get me wrong, I've been buying expensive bottles too, but to say it's the same thing? That's just silly.

Cheers!

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, DCFan said:

While I am enjoying this thread I can’t help but notice that we are only hearing from for the most part the budget minded drinkers. And despite my latest purchase and the PVW’s I have so far been unsuccessful in purchasing I would categorize myself as a budget minded buyer. I am perfectly happy with bourbons in the $20-$60 range because that’s what I basically buy.

But where are the big spenders on this board? We see the bunker photos. We see the photos from those who empty shelves. We hear about the latest LE’s that were bought. Come on and speak up you high rollers. We won’t think any less of you than we already do. J/K. :D

When I first started out on whiskey front a few years ago I bought a bunch of bottles that would now be well well above my limit. As my tastes have refined and narrowed, my bunker filled, access to LE become further challenging (especially in Los Angeles) I have changed my buying outlook which is now mostly focus on $20-150 bottles with things like WT101 or baby saz on low end up to PHC on the high side. I guess the past over spending and over investment in the bunker makes it easier to limit going forward...

What you pay for bourbon really doesn't tell anything about you. And it truly doesn't matter. It's all up to each individual as to what they'll pay for anything. I have a neighbor that is so cheap he squeaks, but will pay $20,000 to harvest a big buck in Canada every year. I would never spend that kind of money for a deer, but will buy higher end whiskey at normal retail. Everyone has certain things they splurge on. I only pay retail to be clear, but due to the current market retail may be higher than some want to pay. And that's okay. We all do things a bit different.

Cheers,

Jeff

Edited by Louisiana
  • I like it 2

The most I have spent on a bottle is 85 euro for Blantons SFTB. In the U.S. the most I have spent is $70, but this restraint is partly because I have never faced any tempting higher end stuff at a reasonable price. VA ABC sells everything hard to find through a lottery at MSRP. If I won a lottery for PvW 23 I would pay the $270 MSRP without much thought.

In DC I have seen BTAC and Van Winkle bottles for sale, but always at ridiculous prices that aren't even a little tempting. I was in one store recently and was talking bourbon with the store's spirits guy. After a while we got to talking about special releases and he mentioned he had a WLW, which is probably in the top 3 bottles I would like to purchase. He wanted $600 for it. I'm not sure what the upper limit I would spend on it would be, but $600 is well past it.

I think for me it is two things. I'm not going to spend more than a certain amount, although that hasn't been specifically determined, but I also don't want to pay too much of a markup. For example, I have spent $60 on a bottle before, but wouldn't buy ETL at $60 because of the mark up (I wonder if the DC shops are really moving it at the $100 price I see sometimes). As far as spending money on bourbon, the harder dilemma I have faced is how many to buy when you come across something harder to find at a good price. How many EC BPs should I buy if there are 10 on the shelf at $55?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.