NYCBourbon

Wathen's Barrel Proof

NYCBourbon

Anyone cracked one of these? Apparently they did private barrels for 25 stores around the country. Trying to decide whether or not to snag one...normally not a Wathen's fan but I'm curious about this release. 

Richnimrod
3 hours ago, NYCBourbon said:

Anyone cracked one of these? Apparently they did private barrels for 25 stores around the country. Trying to decide whether or not to snag one...normally not a Wathen's fan but I'm curious about this release. 

I too would be curious to taste this; but, not enough to buy a whole bottle 'til after said tasting.    The brief and unsatisfying relationship I've had with the brand leaves me very suspicious of it's possibilities. 

That said, I have loved a few barrel proof NCF versions of other brands with which I have had less-than-auspicious earlier experiences.

If you do get to taste it, let us know what you think, please.

tanstaafl2

I haven't seen it, much less tried it! I think at least some stores are able to split barrels so there may be more than 25 but it sounds pretty limited. No idea if any is coming to Georgia. At $80 or more for sourced mystery whiskey (K&L thinks it is BT and the description of a "low rye" mashbill fits. no idea if it has an age statement) I am not sure I would be a buyer if I did see it without trying it first.

smokinjoe
59 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I am not sure I would be a buyer if I did see it without trying it first.

Who are you trying to kid...  ;)

NYCBourbon
2 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

I too would be curious to taste this; but, not enough to buy a whole bottle 'til after said tasting.    The brief and unsatisfying relationship I've had with the brand leaves me very suspicious of it's possibilities. 

That said, I have loved a few barrel proof NCF versions of other brands with which I have had less-than-auspicious earlier experiences.

If you do get to taste it, let us know what you think, please.

I definitely will. If it were even ten dollars cheaper I’d probably grab one, a store near me has it. As you said though I’m both inclined to be suspicious of the brand and $85 for NAS mystery juice seems a lot to ask.

tanstaafl2
1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Who are you trying to kid...  ;)

Myself mostly. :huh:

smokinjoe
1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Myself mostly. :huh:

Heehee!  

sharkattack39

I am 3/4 of the way through a bottle of barrel 21 that was picked by K&L. It is simply delicious, I can't stop drinking it. I would buy a case if they still had any.

sharkattack39
On 12/5/2017 at 11:06 AM, tanstaafl2 said:

I haven't seen it, much less tried it! I think at least some stores are able to split barrels so there may be more than 25 but it sounds pretty limited. No idea if any is coming to Georgia. At $80 or more for sourced mystery whiskey (K&L thinks it is BT and the description of a "low rye" mashbill fits. no idea if it has an age statement) I am not sure I would be a buyer if I did see it without trying it first.

My best guess would also be BT. I kept doing side by side with different distilleries products trying to figure it out. To me it drinks like a few CEHT Single Barrels I have had dialed up to 11.