Wathen's Barrel Proof

NYCBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Anyone cracked one of these? Apparently they did private barrels for 25 stores around the country. Trying to decide whether or not to snag one...normally not a Wathen's fan but I'm curious about this release. 

3 hours ago, NYCBourbon said:

Anyone cracked one of these? Apparently they did private barrels for 25 stores around the country. Trying to decide whether or not to snag one...normally not a Wathen's fan but I'm curious about this release. 

I too would be curious to taste this; but, not enough to buy a whole bottle 'til after said tasting.    The brief and unsatisfying relationship I've had with the brand leaves me very suspicious of it's possibilities. 

That said, I have loved a few barrel proof NCF versions of other brands with which I have had less-than-auspicious earlier experiences.

If you do get to taste it, let us know what you think, please.

• I like it 1

I haven't seen it, much less tried it! I think at least some stores are able to split barrels so there may be more than 25 but it sounds pretty limited. No idea if any is coming to Georgia. At $80 or more for sourced mystery whiskey (K&L thinks it is BT and the description of a "low rye" mashbill fits. no idea if it has an age statement) I am not sure I would be a buyer if I did see it without trying it first.

59 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I am not sure I would be a buyer if I did see it without trying it first.

Who are you trying to kid...  ;)

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

I too would be curious to taste this; but, not enough to buy a whole bottle 'til after said tasting.    The brief and unsatisfying relationship I've had with the brand leaves me very suspicious of it's possibilities. 

That said, I have loved a few barrel proof NCF versions of other brands with which I have had less-than-auspicious earlier experiences.

If you do get to taste it, let us know what you think, please.

I definitely will. If it were even ten dollars cheaper I’d probably grab one, a store near me has it. As you said though I’m both inclined to be suspicious of the brand and $85 for NAS mystery juice seems a lot to ask.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Who are you trying to kid...  ;)

Myself mostly. :huh:

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Myself mostly. :huh:

Heehee!  

I am 3/4 of the way through a bottle of barrel 21 that was picked by K&L. It is simply delicious, I can't stop drinking it. I would buy a case if they still had any.

On 12/5/2017 at 11:06 AM, tanstaafl2 said:

I haven't seen it, much less tried it! I think at least some stores are able to split barrels so there may be more than 25 but it sounds pretty limited. No idea if any is coming to Georgia. At $80 or more for sourced mystery whiskey (K&L thinks it is BT and the description of a "low rye" mashbill fits. no idea if it has an age statement) I am not sure I would be a buyer if I did see it without trying it first.

My best guess would also be BT. I kept doing side by side with different distilleries products trying to figure it out. To me it drinks like a few CEHT Single Barrels I have had dialed up to 11.

• 1 month later...

Just saw a bottle of this & was tempted to get it. Anyone else have any info on source, age, tasting notes & your opinions on it?

On 12/5/2017 at 3:23 PM, NYCBourbon said:

I definitely will. If it were even ten dollars cheaper I’d probably grab one, a store near me has it. As you said though I’m both inclined to be suspicious of the brand and $85 for NAS mystery juice seems a lot to ask.

I've got a bottle of the single barrel unopened, and tempted by the barrel proof. I've had other NAS, NDP stuff that was way better than it should have been.  Any theories from where it comes?  MGP?

1 hour ago, musekatcher said:

I've got a bottle of the single barrel unopened, and tempted by the barrel proof. I've had other NAS, NDP stuff that was way better than it should have been.  Any theories from where it comes?  MGP?

Upthread it was mentioned that some think it may be BT

On 12/5/2017 at 2:06 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

I picked this up in SC and it was a hefty $99.  It was very good, and I am enjoying it, but there are a lot of good bourbons for less.

13 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Upthread it was mentioned that some think it may be BT

I missed that somehow, even though I thought I read the whole thread.  Anyway, for some reason, I thought BT didn't share their product with anyone, only selling under their own labels? 

7 hours ago, musekatcher said:

I missed that somehow, even though I thought I read the whole thread.  Anyway, for some reason, I thought BT didn't share their product with anyone, only selling under their own labels? 

I would imagine that Medley, if they do source from BT, has had that arrangement in place for some time.  Sazerac as a whole definitely does sell stocks at the very least as private labels there is plenty of Barton in store brand bottles, and there Rye has definitely ended up in High West products.

This is just a guess, but I assumed the Medley brands were sourced from B-F.

B-F used to contract distill several brands like Rittenhouse and Mellow Corn.

Something about Wathen's and Medley Bros. remind me a little of the Old Forester house style more than anything else.

One of the locals here got a barrel and he’s convinced after tasting it that it’s BT. I need to probably need to go ahead and get this. Worst case it’ll be good for making the flathute OC8yr and Stagg Jr blend.

Its a low rye, high malt mashbill. Would BT contract distill something with hight malt? Does that mashbill indicate anything about the source?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.