Jump to content
NYCBourbon

Wathen's Barrel Proof

Recommended Posts

NYCBourbon

Anyone cracked one of these? Apparently they did private barrels for 25 stores around the country. Trying to decide whether or not to snag one...normally not a Wathen's fan but I'm curious about this release. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Richnimrod
3 hours ago, NYCBourbon said:

Anyone cracked one of these? Apparently they did private barrels for 25 stores around the country. Trying to decide whether or not to snag one...normally not a Wathen's fan but I'm curious about this release. 

I too would be curious to taste this; but, not enough to buy a whole bottle 'til after said tasting.    The brief and unsatisfying relationship I've had with the brand leaves me very suspicious of it's possibilities. 

That said, I have loved a few barrel proof NCF versions of other brands with which I have had less-than-auspicious earlier experiences.

If you do get to taste it, let us know what you think, please.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2

I haven't seen it, much less tried it! I think at least some stores are able to split barrels so there may be more than 25 but it sounds pretty limited. No idea if any is coming to Georgia. At $80 or more for sourced mystery whiskey (K&L thinks it is BT and the description of a "low rye" mashbill fits. no idea if it has an age statement) I am not sure I would be a buyer if I did see it without trying it first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smokinjoe
59 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I am not sure I would be a buyer if I did see it without trying it first.

Who are you trying to kid...  ;)

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NYCBourbon
2 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

I too would be curious to taste this; but, not enough to buy a whole bottle 'til after said tasting.    The brief and unsatisfying relationship I've had with the brand leaves me very suspicious of it's possibilities. 

That said, I have loved a few barrel proof NCF versions of other brands with which I have had less-than-auspicious earlier experiences.

If you do get to taste it, let us know what you think, please.

I definitely will. If it were even ten dollars cheaper I’d probably grab one, a store near me has it. As you said though I’m both inclined to be suspicious of the brand and $85 for NAS mystery juice seems a lot to ask.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2
1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Who are you trying to kid...  ;)

Myself mostly. :huh:

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smokinjoe
1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Myself mostly. :huh:

Heehee!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sharkattack39

I am 3/4 of the way through a bottle of barrel 21 that was picked by K&L. It is simply delicious, I can't stop drinking it. I would buy a case if they still had any.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sharkattack39
On 12/5/2017 at 11:06 AM, tanstaafl2 said:

I haven't seen it, much less tried it! I think at least some stores are able to split barrels so there may be more than 25 but it sounds pretty limited. No idea if any is coming to Georgia. At $80 or more for sourced mystery whiskey (K&L thinks it is BT and the description of a "low rye" mashbill fits. no idea if it has an age statement) I am not sure I would be a buyer if I did see it without trying it first.

My best guess would also be BT. I kept doing side by side with different distilleries products trying to figure it out. To me it drinks like a few CEHT Single Barrels I have had dialed up to 11.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Whiskeythink.com

Just saw a bottle of this & was tempted to get it. Anyone else have any info on source, age, tasting notes & your opinions on it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
musekatcher
On 12/5/2017 at 3:23 PM, NYCBourbon said:

I definitely will. If it were even ten dollars cheaper I’d probably grab one, a store near me has it. As you said though I’m both inclined to be suspicious of the brand and $85 for NAS mystery juice seems a lot to ask.

I've got a bottle of the single barrel unopened, and tempted by the barrel proof. I've had other NAS, NDP stuff that was way better than it should have been.  Any theories from where it comes?  MGP?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink
1 hour ago, musekatcher said:

I've got a bottle of the single barrel unopened, and tempted by the barrel proof. I've had other NAS, NDP stuff that was way better than it should have been.  Any theories from where it comes?  MGP?

Upthread it was mentioned that some think it may be BT

 

On 12/5/2017 at 2:06 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

I haven't seen it, much less tried it! I think at least some stores are able to split barrels so there may be more than 25 but it sounds pretty limited. No idea if any is coming to Georgia. At $80 or more for sourced mystery whiskey (K&L thinks it is BT and the description of a "low rye" mashbill fits. no idea if it has an age statement) I am not sure I would be a buyer if I did see it without trying it first.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rob M

I picked this up in SC and it was a hefty $99.  It was very good, and I am enjoying it, but there are a lot of good bourbons for less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
musekatcher
13 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Upthread it was mentioned that some think it may be BT

 

 

I missed that somehow, even though I thought I read the whole thread.  Anyway, for some reason, I thought BT didn't share their product with anyone, only selling under their own labels? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink
7 hours ago, musekatcher said:

I missed that somehow, even though I thought I read the whole thread.  Anyway, for some reason, I thought BT didn't share their product with anyone, only selling under their own labels? 

I would imagine that Medley, if they do source from BT, has had that arrangement in place for some time.  Sazerac as a whole definitely does sell stocks at the very least as private labels there is plenty of Barton in store brand bottles, and there Rye has definitely ended up in High West products.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PaulO

This is just a guess, but I assumed the Medley brands were sourced from B-F.

B-F used to contract distill several brands like Rittenhouse and Mellow Corn.

Something about Wathen's and Medley Bros. remind me a little of the Old Forester house style more than anything else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HoustonNit
 


One of the locals here got a barrel and he’s convinced after tasting it that it’s BT. I need to probably need to go ahead and get this. Worst case it’ll be good for making the flathute OC8yr and Stagg Jr blend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bourbon4all

I'm pretty sure the ks barrel is beam. Maybe they aren't all from same source

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Whiskeythink.com

Its a low rye, high malt mashbill. Would BT contract distill something with hight malt? Does that mashbill indicate anything about the source?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×