Blanton's SFTB

BigSkyDrams
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Reading through the "Whats on your list to buy" and "Most you would pay for 750ml bottle" threads , it struck me that the Blanton's SFTB would probably be my #1 answer on the former thread, and skew my expected price ceiling higher in the latter.  The standard Blanton's is one of my favorite bourbons, I dig everything from the flavor profile to the unique bottle.  I've also sampled the Blanton's Gold and found it fantastic.  So, the SFTB remains at the top of my list for bottles I would like to taste, and, if lucky enough, to add a whole bottle to my cabinet.  

Obviously, however, its a difficult bottle to get for those of us in the US, and those difficulties, for me, would probably result in a heightened price simply due to the logistics (and potential third-party involvement) of getting it to Montana, USA.  Our state laws do not allow direct shipment from online retailers.  I'm  also a little leery of receiving bottles by mail anyway, as I would hate to pay a big chunk of coin only to be delivered a broken bottle, etc.  Nonetheless, I've seen a lot of it recently on the whiskey-focused social-media accounts/groups I follow, so clearly plenty of folks are or have been able to get bottles of it in or to the US.  

So, I had a couple questions for you knowledgeable folks:  have you had the SFTB?  How good is it?  What would be your price ceiling on a bottle?  More importantly for this thread:  how did you get a bottle (if you're comfortable sharing)?  Is it ever sold at retail in the states?  Is there a list of states that do allow direct shipment of liquor?  Any tips on what/when/how I should look for getting one?  

To start off the discussion, I got my bottle of Gold last summer.  My parents were vacationing in London and Normandy, and I basically did all of the leg work for them.  In the month before they left, I researched every liquor store that they would be even remotely close to to see if they stocked the Gold or SFTB, emailed with the managers, found only one that was reasonably convenient to where they were staying and that had the Gold in stock, fronted them cash and linked them directions to the store.  I don't recall exactly how much was paid, but it was pretty pricey, even with them able to get it directly from a retailer and bring it back in their suitcase.   Not too pricey to render the whole ordeal not-worthy of the effort though.  I'm glad I did it, and if they go again, I'll probably do the same.  

I have an open bottle of it right now. It is of course 700mL. Very tasty, & is Blanton's profile on steroids. My bottle is not too high in proof, I think its around 130. Benefits from a little water but not necessary.

I got mine through a trade. I traded a family-size W12 for it. Earlier this year I got 2 1.75s, but the W12 just doesnt seem to be as good to me as it used to be. So I gladly traded one for the SFTB.  The guy I traded with said he has a friend in the UK who sends them to him, so its a regular pour for him.

• I like it 1

I've bought bottles in the past from Master of Malt in the UK to give as gifts for $75.00 plus $30.00 shipping. Their site shows that they're currently out of stock. If you're in the NYC area, De Wine Spot in Brooklyn has bottles (700mL) for $150.00-- and the bottles fly pretty well in luggage if the stopper is properly prepped. I find the liquid super tasty, but not too far removed from my $75.00 bottle (750mL) of Col. EH Taylor Barrel Proof.

• I like it 1

I got my bottle online from a store in California, so it’s a 750ml. I think they sold out in a day or so. No one seemed to know exactly why they got these, as it’s generally only bottled to be sold out of the country. 

the bottle cost roughly $115 in total, which is the most expensive bottle I have. Though I do thoroughly enjoy it, I couldn’t justify paying that again knowing I can get Stagg Jr for about $50. 

• I like it 1

The Blanton’s SFTB is one you should since the single barrel is one of your favorite bourbons

I have purchased several bottles from Master of Malt, and have no worries about the bottle arriving broken or damaged. They do a fine job of protecting the precious liquid they ship, and I have absolutely zero doubts about the next order I will place with them. 

If you do decide to order from them my advice would be to get a second bottle of something at the same time (Gold). The second bottle will not add much to the shipping cost, thus saving you a little moolah in that area. 

• I like it 1

24 minutes ago, Radioyada said:

If you do decide to order from them my advice would be to get a second bottle of something at the same time (Gold). The second bottle will not add much to the shipping cost, thus saving you a little moolah in that area. 

That's a Pro Tip, ratchare.  Repost that in the Pro Tip thread!

• I like it 3

I bought one from one of the UK sites and shipped it in with some other bottles and some samples to ease the pain of shipping.  They go in and out of stock.  I got my other bottle from a buddy who found some on vacation in the Caribbean.  I believe it's around $150 shipped from the UK and I found it worth it but not something I'm going to do again.    

• I like it 1

I think it's really a great whiskey. But like others have said it's overpriced. I like it better than a lot of the barrel proof bottles that are semi-regularly available. But it's not twice as good, for example, as MMCS or Stagg Jr. in my opinion.

If Blanton's is one of your favorite pours, I'd say it's worth the price to get a bottle at least once.

• I like it 1

I like it quite a bit. I have a friend who spends about half of the year in Europe and he just brings me bottles, so I don't have to deal with the Euro sites or shipping. So I'm a little spoiled in that regard. 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, BottledInBond said:

I like it quite a bit. I have a friend who spends about half of the year in Europe and he just brings me bottles, so I don't have to deal with the Euro sites or shipping. So I'm a little spoiled in that regard. 

I like it quite a bit as well, it’s good juice although it depends on the bottle obviously. I agree with the above statement that if you’re a Blanton’s fan it’s worth doing at least once. As far as grey market shipping is concerned, in my experience if you can stomach the price hikes people usually know what they’re doing...I’ve never received any broken bottles at least.

• I like it 1

Thanks for all the feedback guys.  I didn't realize Master of Malt or the like would actually ship to me, as everything I'd read on my state laws suggested otherwise.  But I did a trial run through on their website, entering my shipping info, and got all the way to the confirmation page without any message saying they can't ship to Montana. . . . they, and a few other sites I checked, are out of stock for the time being though :(.  But I'll keep my eye out for it there! 

• I like it 2

Masters of Malt or Whiskey Exchange are my go to, I also get to the UK pretty regularly and SFTB and Gold are always a must buy, but to be honest the SFTB can vary a lot based on the barrel whereas the Gold, for me, is 100% every time. But as others have said if you like Blantons you will probably really like SFTB.

• I like it 1

13 minutes ago, birdie said:

Masters of Malt or Whiskey Exchange are my go to, I also get to the UK pretty regularly and SFTB and Gold are always a must buy, but to be honest the SFTB can vary a lot based on the barrel whereas the Gold, for me, is 100% every time. But as others have said if you like Blantons you will probably really like SFTB.

Interesting. Yeah I would expect some barrel-to-barrel variation, but I’ve never had an “off” barrel of the standard Blanton’s yet (though I have for some other SiB offerings, e.g. Eagle Rare), but I’ll be willing to take my chances for the SFTB. And as someone mentioned up above, if I’m going to be paying shipping, might as well pick up another Gold while I’m at it eh?!?!? 

You can check La Maison Du Whisky out of Paris as well, they sometimes have it. I dropped in in person this fall hoping they would have a bottle but alas they did not. I've yet to try it so I can't speak to whether it's worth it or not.

• I like it 2

I bought two bottles of the SFTB for myself, one for a friend and a couple bottles of WT101 8 year. You can always find something to lessen the shipping impact (and quench your addiction).  I find regular Blanton’s to be so elegant to the point of being boring. SFTB is a monster. I love it. Drinking it straight numbs the roof of my mouth a bit. It takes water very well. 

• I like it 1

I'll +1 that Master of Malt packs your bottles so well that it may literally be bullet proof. At the very least I spent a good 15 mins with a very large knife to free my shipment of 8 bottles from their armor.

They also get the STFB very regularly, often multiple barrels at the same time. I rarely find them our of stock, and when they are it is often back by next week.

Also play around with your cart to optimize your shipment. Adding more is generally good, but there seem to be other tricks possible, especially when dealing with oddly shaped bottles like Blanton's or heavy wooden boxes and such. For example, I got a better price for my 6 bottles when in two separate shipments of 2 and 4 bottles.

• I like it 2

I'll be the black sheep here and say that I've had both and just cannot get into the SFTB.

Every one I've tasted has been a hot mess.  And I like barrel proof whiskey!

I don't know why, I just don't enjoy SFTB.

I only buy "gold" now, shipped in from the U.K.  Usually with a sample or 2 of different barrel # SFTB's just to check and see if I still dislike it.

Gold one of the best bourbon's I've ever had.  Something about Blanton's @ 103p is just perfect.

Between my wife and I, bottles are lucky to last a month here.

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 1

Nothing wrong with a different opinion. Different strokes and all that. Well this thread has certainly given me hope and ideas on how I might get some of that delicious nectar in hand. 

And I totally agree that the Gold is outstanding. Cheers!

I was in Europe this past May and tried them both in a bar in Reykjavik and London. I was going to buy a bottle each anyway but i thought what the hell, might as well drink the good stuff from our homeland when country changing in Europa. I recommend purchasing SFTB if you can get it at or close to retail. I think whiskyexchange sells them and will ship overseas. I'm going back to Europe in March and will visit a few stores. 

• I like it 1

My nephew has a bottle of Blanton's SFTB. At our family Thanksgiving get together, he graciously popped it open and we had a pour. With all due respect to GeeTen, "Me likee!" :P

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

Love the Gold and have considered making a purchase of the SFTB and some other bourbons/Scotches from Master of Malt or The Whisky Exchange.

• I like it 2

Mine was received as a gift from a fellow SB'er who is in the UK, I in turn gifted him some bottles back! We met up in NYC while he was here on vacation and as an added bonus had a great time!

Edited by kevinbrink
  • I like it 3

I had the gold a few years back and it ruined the Standard for me.  I ended up going with Bookers as my go to but, with the increase I had been wanted to give Blantons another try.  My local coincidentally had some PS bottles so I grabbed a couple.  Man the PS is a damn good bourbon and has me contemplating buying another gold or SFTB from overseas.  Glad to hear they are being so well received by the folks here.  I am going to pop one in my cart next scotch buy I have from WE.  

8 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Mine was received as a gift from a fellow SB'er who is in the UK, I in turn gifted him some bottles back! We met up in NYC while he was here on vacation and as an added bonus had a great time!

Amen, hope we can do it again sometime! 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.