Blanton's SFTB

BigSkyDrams
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 12/5/2017 at 6:07 PM, BigSkyDrams said:

Interesting. Yeah I would expect some barrel-to-barrel variation, but I’ve never had an “off” barrel of the standard Blanton’s yet (though I have for some other SiB offerings, e.g. Eagle Rare), but I’ll be willing to take my chances for the SFTB. And as someone mentioned up above, if I’m going to be paying shipping, might as well pick up another Gold while I’m at it eh?!?!? 

Last i checked finedrams.com had some on the virtual shelf. Their shipping usually in line or less than momalt. Check it out and good luck with your hunt. 

• I like it 1

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 7:35 PM, Kane said:

For example, I got a better price for my 6 bottles when in two separate shipments of 2 and 4 bottles.

Care to elaborate on the combination?

6 hours ago, Kepler said:

Care to elaborate on the combination?

Unfortunately I am not able to identify a clear pattern yet, hence I said there appears to be some sort of trick.

I usually try a few combinations and hit cheaper shipping pretty quickly. I made 9 purchases from MoM, and seen this happen 3 times, but always with peculiarly shaped bottles in my cart, and never with typical stuff. I don't think my measurements reach statistical significance yet, so just take it as an observation. Trick bottles were things like Blanton's, an extremely thin & tall bottle of eau de vie, Scotch that came in a wooden crate thingy...

EDIT: If you were asking about the specific combination here I believe it was the Blanton's in one shipment, and one of the Edradour Straight From the Cask crates in the other. The rest were standard Scotch tubes.

Edited by Kane

Just opened my first bottle. It's been on my buy list for a couple of years. Don't know why it has taken so long...

It's the lightest, most fruity CS bourbon I've ever had. Very delicate with a touch of cinnamon spiciness.

Here in EU, the bourbon hunting usually takes place online, trying to find the cheapest/rare bottles. Got it a good deal cheaper than MOM's.

I won't fret when this one is empty. I suspect the unavailability is part of the reason you guys like it so much. But I will probably buy it again at some point. It's worth going back to.

• I like it 1

Opened a bottle last night to send a sample to another bourbon guy and although this particular barrel was dumped on April Fools Day in 2016 its not a joke.  I had three small pours from it last night and wondered why I hadn't opened one of these sooner?

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Hop said:

Opened a bottle last night to send a sample to another bourbon guy and although this particular barrel was dumped on April Fools Day in 2016 its not a joke.  I had three small pours from it last night and wondered why I hadn't opened one of these sooner?

You are a generous man!  Sounds like a wonderful dram!  

Bottled for Maison du Whisky and only sold abroad. Buddy just picked up one of these and said they are tough to find? Haven't had it or seen it myself? I'm sure there are plenty out there on the board that could comment from personal experience.

FB_IMG_1512531061686_1512531087187.thumb.jpg.280c7f1e1c6af6cf3e770ac49c20b0d6.jpg

5 hours ago, FacePlant said:

Bottled for Maison du Whisky and only sold abroad. Buddy just picked up one of these and said they are tough to find? Haven't had it or seen it myself? I'm sure there are plenty out there on the board that could comment from personal experience.

FB_IMG_1512531061686_1512531087187.thumb.jpg.280c7f1e1c6af6cf3e770ac49c20b0d6.jpg

It's Bourbon Night reviewed this and both of them liked it, I find their videos a bit cheesy and generally don't really connect with the same bourbons that they do but it's something....

• 2 weeks later...

At $140 (this includes shipping) it's really hard for me to justify pulling the trigger... Love regular Blanton's, but I guess I'll just tell everyone asking for gift ideas about this haha!

• 1 month later...

MoM got 5 different barrels today. I was waiting for an excuse to order a large enough cart to justify the shipping. Now wondering if I should get one of each :)

• I like it 2

On 12/18/2017 at 3:07 PM, Bourbon Fanatic said:

At $140 (this includes shipping) it's really hard for me to justify pulling the trigger... Love regular Blanton's, but I guess I'll just tell everyone asking for gift ideas about this haha!

Not only a steep price, but also only 700 ml bottle.

• I like it 1

I live in the UK and unless I find an older bottling of this unloved on a shelf, I don't bother.

Blanton's is under great pressure and my guess is that SFTB is going out the door right now as young as they can get away with.

So as much as people may be enjoying it, it's probably the worst time in recent history to be chasing it.

The truth hurts.

Edit - oh and a dump from 2012 is in my glass right now - yes of course it's good.

Edited by The Black Tot
  • I like it 1

I bought one from DeWine Spot as well - it arrived packaged very thoughtfully. Expensive but if you are only buying one, easier than MoM. Like others have mentioned, if you are buying multiple bottles from MoM (they have some old EXBP and some rum you cant buy here), it's worth going through them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.