Favorite Food Pairing With Bourbon

cdcdguy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

We all know wine can be paired with food. Nothing better than a charred steak and a glass of shiraz. And we also know bourbon is great to cook with. Seen many great recipes here. But I have never thought of having bourbon with my actual meal. For dessert, of course. I want to expeierment! What are some good foods to sip bourbon with? 

Bourbon pairings for me.  

1) apple pie.   I was enjoying some 2011 GTS and Apple Pie at Thanksgiving and the pairing was incredible

2) Chocolate Chip Cookies. 

3) Dark Chocolate

Looks like bourbon brings out my sweet tooth.  

I know it isn't exactly what you asked, but Mrs JT makes an amazing bourbon pecan pie. 

MM is the usual ingredient, but didn't have an open one on Thanksgiving so she used OWA.

Edited by JTaylor
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, JTaylor said:

I know it isn't exactly what you asked, but Mrs JT makes an amazing bourbon pecan pie. 

MM is the usual ingredient, but didn't have an open one on Thanksgiving so she used OWA.

I have actually heard of this!  I do like dark chocolate with bourbon. What about other dinner type foods? Should be good with pulled pork, right?

I'd have to say Venison Chops (whitetail deer) from a freshly killed, young buck (or doe).  

Hard to beat the mildly gamey flavor of these babies, when gently seared and served quite rare. 

The Bourbon needs to be relatively low proof, and served with an ice cube; any BIB works; but the new Early Times BIB is excellent for this.

Much over 100-proof and the dram might overpower the delicate nuances of the venison.

• I like it 3

I’m eating a few chocolate covered almonds while sipping on 4R OESK. It’s a pretty wonderful combo. 

A big thick grilled sirloin (rare), Penne pasta with garlic & broccoli, french bread brushed with herb infused olive oil and then toasted on the grill with a nice healthy pour of Stagg Jr.  Guess I know what I'm having for dinner Sunday.

Bourbon with dinner has never really worked for me. Too many things that have the potential to throw off my palate. I prefer to wait until after dinner when my palate is fresh. 

Desert with bourbon can work however. Many good examples have already been mentioned above. Bourbon pecan pie is a personal favorite of mine.

• I like it 1

I generally tend to have Bourbon with dessert too. Dark chocolate or a donut is particularly nice, but pretty much any dessert goes well.

With dinner I find a Japanese, Scotch, or rye whiskey tend to be great, but I sometimes enjoy bourbon as well, especially barrel proof pours like Stagg Jr that have enough bite to hold up to a savory meal.

Edited by EarthQuake

I may be in the minority, but I think that a neat pour of bourbon goes just as well with a charred steak as a glass of red wine. It usually depends on my mood. As far as with desert? I usually use the bourbon in place of the desert. While the rest of the family enjoys cookies or cake, I'll have a pour of a sweet heavy bourbon. One of my favorite bourbon recipes is bourbon/brown sugar roasted Brussel Sprouts. Just the right mix of char, savory and sweet.

17 hours ago, flahute said:

Bourbon with dinner has never really worked for me. Too many things that have the potential to throw off my palate. I prefer to wait until after dinner when my palate is fresh. 

Desert with bourbon can work however. Many good examples have already been mentioned above. Bourbon pecan pie is a personal favorite of mine.

I agree with my twin brother, again.  :D  

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.