What is your "forever" bourbon?

Fishin49er
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Heaven forbid we ever have to make this choice. Taking into consideration the current market conditions, what bourbon expression would you pick if it was the only one you could purchase moving forward? Mine would have to be HMK10, it's readily available, good price for it's age and the single barrel aspect would provide enough variation to keep it interesting. 

assuming price is a factor, I'll take Stagg jr at total wine 37.99 price. Love the profile and the proof lets me customize it some. Others that were in consideration: Rock Hill Farms, EH Taylor small batch, Weller Antique, Rare Breed. And I'd drink a lot more rum in this case...

If it is one bourbon I could only find readily long term, it would be one that is batched, rather than single barrel.  Any number of producers are capable of bad runs of single barrels.  Also, I would not pick one that looks limited so that the producer stops producing it.  For me, that narrows it down to Elijah Craig BP or Booker's.

• I like it 1

Going on price, availability (I should be able to find it in 3 of 4 bottle shops), consistency and versatility I’d probably go with Four Roses single barrel (the standard 100 proof) over WTKS

The availability rules out a lot of my go to bourbons: Four Roses store picks, OWA, honey barrels of WTKS or Russells Reserve. Consistency also rules out most of the single barrels that I enjoy so much. 

Versatile as well. Sips wonderfully, great in a julep, enough spice and proof to hold up in an old fashioned. 

As much as I love barrel proofers, sometimes I reach for something with a little leas heft. 

Edited by Mako254

I would probably go with Stagg Jr. or WTRB. This way I have a barrel proof that I love, but I could also have (well basically) BT or WT101 with a little water. 

For several years now RRSB and McKenna 10 year have been by far my my most common pours. Based on the prices of those two, I’d go with MeKenna since it’s $20-25 cheaper. 

Just going by what is always on the shelf Bulleit 10yr for me, but have a lot of liters W12  stashed for the apocalypse. 

My recent go-to has been a 12 yr KCSB PS.  Can't put it down...  I've always loved CEHT SmB though.  And W12...  Guess I gotta go with CETH for availability, since they are all about the same $.

This is one of those questions that causes me to talk out loud for 3 hours trying to determine an answer.  Rationalizing the potential selection of this one compared to that one, while not discounting another, and pondering the ramifications of any selection I make...It makes my head hurt.  :D

I've taken all of this and distilled it down to one simple question/criterion:  What bourbon, regardless of anything else,  could I possibly drink every day without getting completely bored to the point of not wanting to drink bourbon any longer, while continuing to anticipate the next drink from it tomorrow...

The answer became easy at this point.

Standard Buffalo Trace.

• I like it 1

One that I could not imagine having would be CEHT SmB.  However, the ORVW10 I had last week has been on my mind ever since. 

With apologies to BT, no one makes my favorite bourbon expression. I do!  ^_^  I'd be perfectly content living out my days if all I had to drink was my very own version of the SB Weller Blend. :D

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

14 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

This is one of those questions that causes me to talk out loud for 3 hours trying to determine an answer.  Rationalizing the potential selection of this one compared to that one, while not discounting another, and pondering the ramifications of any selection I make...It makes my head hurt.  :D

I've taken all of this and distilled it down to one simple question/criterion:  What bourbon, regardless of anything else,  could I possibly drink every day without getting completely bored to the point of not wanting to drink bourbon any longer, while continuing to anticipate the next drink from it tomorrow...

The answer became easy at this point.

Standard Buffalo Trace.

I answered RRSB really quickly and then continued to think about it more than I should have with some of the other things going on in my life right now, and I am currently wavering and thinking I should have picked Bookers so I appreciate the cranial pain! 

maybe it doesn't count since it's not a bourbon, but if I had to pick one that I can actually find I think it would be Pikesville Rye

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.