Barbados in April!!

sailor22
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

BARBADOS IN APRIL!!

There are a number of us rum geeks planning on visiting Barbados in April. Richard Seale of Foursquare has said he will host the group for a special cook out, tour, talk and tasting day at the distillery and we will probably visit to St. Nicholas Abby on another day. I'm thinking some people on this page might be interested in joining us... please do! This will be a rum lover's Barbados take over!

A girlfriend and wife friendly event, if you can't sell a trip to Barbados in April to your significant other your not really trying :-)

Date is the week of April 9th, looking forward to having a great time in Barbados with all my rum, and particularly Foursquare, friends.

Altimar (the Foursquare importer) is planning on flying some writers and notable bartenders down for this - also Luca (Velier) has expressed an interest in going. So expect groups of rum geeks gathering at different bars an restaurants in the evenings but not tripping over each other during the day.

I'll post more details as they are finalized but feel free to PM if your in interested.

• I like it 6

Sounds interesting, but the timing is horrible for my business!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, Steve! This sounds like a truly incredible trip. I have some prior commitments (weddings etc.) right around that time so I probably won't be able to make it, but please do keep us updated just in case! This is something I'd be very interested in attending in the future as well.

Would love to go. Hopefully I can go!

Biggest problem with Barbados is that Delta is NOT ready when I am. Don't think they fly there at all anymore. I know they used to but they seem to have dropped several Caribbean island destinations recently. That means I have to stop somewhere, most likely Miami, and wouldn't get any useful frequent flyer miles for my troubles!

But, RUM!

I feel your pain Bruce - we are Delta people too but for this trip it looks like American will have to suffice.

The plan so far...... Firm date for the event at Foursquare is Wed April 11th, probably most the day - at least all afternoon. Pretty sure we will get a BBQ or grilled chicken lunch but that hasn't been confirmed.

No firm date for St. Nic yet but probably Thursday or Friday.

Looking at a couple hotels/resorts to designate as a central location. Hopefully most people will choose to stay nearby so we can meet for drinks and possibly dinner in the evening. Overall everyone will be responsible for their own accommodations but we are trying to get some rooms at a good rate. The idea is for everyone to pursue their own adventures during the day (except for the Foursquare and St. Nic events) then meet at a designated bar for rum and bonhomie.

I have bike toured Belgium to drink beer

I have toured Kentucky and Distilleries to sip Bourbon

The thought of Barbados to drink rum is quite an attractive idea!

Wowza it's a 17 hour flight from here.

6 hours ago, sailor22 said:

A girlfriend and wife friendly event, if you can't sell a trip to Barbados in April to your significant other your not really trying :-)

Whew, taking the girlfriend AND the wife is a pretty tall order. I don't know if there's enough rum on the island that will let that one slip by undetected. :D

• I like it 1

12 minutes ago, DCFan said:

Whew, taking the girlfriend AND the wife is a pretty tall order. I don't know if there's enough rum on the island that will let that one slip by undetected. :D

Warm weather, Rum, and a couple of fine ladies.... now That's what I'm talkin about :D

• I like it 1

I have started a Facebook Page to keep everyone current on event planning. serach; Rum Geek Barbados Takeover 2018. 

Luca Gargano the principal at Velier will be joining us. He will give a talk along with Richard Seale on the 10th. On the 11th the cookout talk/tour/tasting will be at Foursquare distillery. Because of the talk on the 10th Richards talk on the next day will be abbreviated so no one should get bored. Think of it as a back yard cook out at a distillery in the Caribbean.

Working on getting a group rate for rooms - if we can we will have a central location. 

Edited by sailor22

12 hours ago, sailor22 said:

I have started a Facebook Page to keep everyone current on event planning. serach; Rum Geek Barbados Takeover 2018. 

Luca Gargano the principal at Velier will be joining us. He will give a talk along with Richard Seale on the 10th. On the 11th the cookout talk/tour/tasting will be at Foursquare distillery. Because of the talk on the 10th Richards talk on the next day will be abbreviated so no one should get bored. Think of it as a back yard cook out at a distillery in the Caribbean.

Working on getting a group rate for rooms - if we can we will have a central location. 

Richard Seale will give an "abbreviated" talk on rum? Now that alone would be worth seeing! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Curious what we know on this so far, deals on flights and hotel may start to get harder to come by...

Gayle Seale and I are working the group rate plan but it hasn't shown any huge advantage so far - plus there is a wide diversity of personal budgets so what seems like a good deal to some will seem pricy to others. 

My girlfriend and I have booked our flights along with my daughter and her husband. I know of at least 6 others who are booked also. Jet Blue had the best rates when we booked but airline prices seem to change hourly so YMMV.  There are more than 20 people that have expressed serious interest and now that the holidays are nearly passed I expect they will be focusing on this trip.

Since this is a vacation for my girlfriend who is still working I am looking to make this a bit of a romantic excursion when it's not about Rum. My budget for this trip is middle of the road and to that end I'm looking at The Hilton, Accra Beach and Savannah Beach Hotel. The south east coast of the island has the best bar and restaurant scene along with lively night life. That area has a wide range of hotels and guest houses that should fit every budget, and there are some very expensive very high end resorts around the island.

As this gets closer I'll set up a Whats app for attenees so we can all stay in touch and meet up. Getting bottles into Barbados is no problem so I will be bringing a few interesting bottles to share and am encouraging others to do the same. Gazebo on the beach :-)

Edited by sailor22
  • I like it 1

Steve, this sounds like a very cool thing.  Kudos to you for setting it up and making it available to the membership.  Due to other commitments I won't be able to go, but really wish I could!  What a neat trip for Rum enthusiasts and casual Rum sippers alike.  Heck, it just sounds like a great trip regardless of whether you even drink any kind of booze!  :lol:

Thanks for looking into this! I bookmarked some flights and will look into hotel in that southeast area. 

Im hoping to be able to make this, it sounds like a great getaway

Cheers,

RW 

Regarding flights - my daughter just booked her Jet Blue flights from Philly and in the three days from when we originally searched it to when she booked it the cost had gone up $50 a person.  It was still a good deal, particularly if you don't check bags.

So if your thinking about joining us you might not want to waffle too long.

We are at 19 confirmed and ticketed participants - maybe another 20 are seriously interested. Definitely will be a bring a bottle to the beach night or two. This is shaping up to be huge fun.

Confirm two more we got tickets- In on Saturday the 7th and out on the 12th of April

Now- for accommodations, you say look to the south east side of the island? You have hotel lined up yet? 

Looks like about 8 of us are in the Infinity - I can't say if it''s what your looking for, I don't even know if I'll like it but it seemed a good balance between cost and comfort. A few others are at different gust houses and small hotels in the same area.

I know one group is renting a 4 bed room house via VRBO and last week were looking for another person or two to share with but I don't know where on the island it is.

The Accra comes recommended by people who have been there but for the difference in cost the Infinity seemed like it was worth the chance for us.

Most the hotels are family owned and not particularly well run - I made my reservations early last week but they still havent charged my card the 30% they require even though I have a confirmation #.

Thanks for the heads up on the Infinity. Looks pretty nice. I had been looking at Airbnb in various locations. There is one right near the Infinity but Linda doesn't like all the chickens! :lol:

It looks like the Infinity is going to be ground zero for some Rum Fun :D

We look forward to meeting you all and having a great time on surf and sand

Cheers,

RW

• I like it 1

• 2 months later...

Woo Hoo we take off Friday for Saturday landing... To Infinity and beyond!!

See you there- We'll be in the beach room :D

• I like it 1

WOO HOO - we leave Friday for the drive to Ft. Lauderdale where we are flying out of.  Jet Blue from Ft Lauderdale to Barbados - any chance you are on the same flight?

I sincerely hope everyone has a truly fantastic time!  :)  Please post some pics. 

Biba! Joe

3 hours ago, sailor22 said:

WOO HOO - we leave Friday for the drive to Ft. Lauderdale where we are flying out of.  Jet Blue from Ft Lauderdale to Barbados - any chance you are on the same flight?

Our layover is in New York. We arrive in Barbados Saturday afternoon around 2:30 I think

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.