Show Us Your Stash -- Volume 4

jbutler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

6 hours ago, Government Beard said:

One stash area. Some was purchased. Others were free from the connections we have in the alcohol industry. Some trades.

huzzah

IMG_0317.thumb.JPG.c3c3a108c12d3c1750765d5af2ea7b07.JPG

Nice work. Like that older batch Rare Breed. 

• I like it 1

I've been mostly buying for the last ~10 years and not doing much drinking.  Here's a bit of my bourbon collection.  Also have a good amount of difficult to find tequila's.

whiskey.jpg

• I like it 2

Well . . . iffn you ain't gonna drink any of them Stagg's or Pappy's you can just go ahead and box em up and send em on over to me.  Be glad to take em off yer hands. :D

I've never really understood the buy and not drink school of thought but I am sure that there are a lot of things about me other folks don't understand.  Life is short so I intend to sample some of everything that I can. You have some fine bourbons there.  Enjoy them.

• I like it 1

Great selection there. Any reason why you don’t drink much? We don’t understand that concept here :)

What does the “redline” part of your name refer to?

Hmm, that Porfidio cactus bottle is mighty tasty.

I don't see a single cracked top. What Do you drink? :blink:

As mentioned, I've been collecting now for several years.  These are bottles I've not gotten to.  Yet.  I have several that are open and am drinking.  Also went through a period where I drank lots of wine and stayed away from the hard liquor.  Although found it difficult to say no to a bottle that I wasn't getting another shot at later.  The 'redline' refers to one of my other hobbies.  Cars. 

Edited by redlinerobert

As mentioned, I've been collecting now for several years.  These are bottles I've not gotten to.  Yet.  I have several that are open and am drinking.  Also went through a period where I drank lots of wine and stayed away from the hard liquor.  Although found it difficult to say no to a bottle that I wasn't getting another shot at later.  The 'redline' refers to one of my other hobbies.  Cars. 

Love cars too...but I drive them all. It’s quite the collection - some of the tequilas are interesting - the only unopened bottles of booze I have are tequilas acquired during wonderful trips to Mexico when tequila tasted good and sounded like a good idea as a souvenir - once im back in Chicago I have approximately 0% interest in anything tequila. Maybe one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, redlinerobert said:

I've been mostly buying for the last ~10 years and not doing much drinking.  Here's a bit of my bourbon collection.  Also have a good amount of difficult to find tequila's.

whiskey.jpg

Cool stuff.  I have gotten the same type of response when I have posted some of my bottles. "Are any of these bottles open".  Never understood why someone would care what my drinking habits are or what I decide to do with my collection.  I have more Bourbon than I will drink the rest of my life. Looks like you may be in the same boat. That being said, If I had 10 bottles of PVW unopened and have a chance to get 11,number 11 is coming home with me. Is that right? Is that wrong? Don't know.  Don't care. You do what makes sense to you. 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Gorzo said:

Cool stuff.  I have gotten the same type of response when I have posted some of my bottles. "Are any of these bottles open".  Never understood why someone would care what my drinking habits are or what I decide to do with my collection.  I have more Bourbon than I will drink the rest of my life. Looks like you may be in the same boat. That being said, If I had 10 bottles of PVW unopened and have a chance to get 11,number 11 is coming home with me. Is that right? Is that wrong? Don't know.  Don't care. You do what makes sense to you. 

I don't know about others but I know from my experience it's a lot more enjoyable open. I read about think about and talk about whiskey and am very bourbon curious. I want to know what they all taste like. Which is why I have what you probably consider an obscene number of open bottles. Any time i think one is special and should stay closed a friend comes over and it gets opened and shows us all why it is so special. Not because it is a valuable collectible. The only reason it is valuable is because it is delicious and people like the members on here have drank it talked about it and made others want it. So in ending I can tell you my bunker isn't a collection... it will all get drank by me my family and friends. One viewpoint and the questions concerning you and yours are because you have a beautiful collection (That I would love to drink) 

2 hours ago, bourbon4all said:

I don't know about others but I know from my experience it's a lot more enjoyable open. I read about think about and talk about whiskey and am very bourbon curious. I want to know what they all taste like. Which is why I have what you probably consider an obscene number of open bottles. Any time i think one is special and should stay closed a friend comes over and it gets opened and shows us all why it is so special. Not because it is a valuable collectible. The only reason it is valuable is because it is delicious and people like the members on here have drank it talked about it and made others want it. So in ending I can tell you my bunker isn't a collection... it will all get drank by me my family and friends. One viewpoint and the questions concerning you and yours are because you have a beautiful collection (That I would love to drink) 

I don't disagree with any of your points. I know it's not a popular theme on this website to hoard or have something that you may not intend to open, just saying that is an individual choice and shouldn't be a concern of yours mine or anybody else . I would also say that people that have those types of Whiskey probably just aren't sipping on BT everyday (no disrespect D.C. Fan if you read this post) , but have had their fair share of highly allocated Bourbon not just sitting and staring at full bottles.

I don't think any of the posters above meant anything. The SB community enjoys drinking their whiskey. That's all. Sharing their thoughts on it, as well as sharing the whiskey itself with family & friends. FYI, there is a "Show Us Your Stash" thread that you can post your pictures in. Welcome & let us know what you think when you do open them.

Cheers,

Jeff

• I like it 1

On 12/7/2017 at 1:47 PM, redlinerobert said:

whiskey.jpg

And?  Seriously. You "collect" but don't drink, you've amassed a very nice "collection" and you're kind enough to post a picture. And were you expecting lots of oooohs and ahhhhs from one of your first posts here while you establish your bona fides as a bourbon guy even tho you don't drink? Get to revel a little bit in the jealousy while showing off your Mona Lisa to the less fortunate?  And from looking at your bio, being a builder of sorts I'm guessing you must be pretty good at it and you got some bottles over the years from some satisfied customers even tho you don't drink. So you posted your photo, you stated that you don't drink much at all, now what? 

• I like it 1

DCFan,

Thanks for your response.  It tells me quite a bit about you as a person. 

I find it interesting that you got all of that from a photo.   Are you familiar reflection?  You should look it up from a psychological perspective.  it could help with the hang ups you've so eagerly placed in my thread. 

In the mean time.  I'll continue posting photos of high end bourbon that I haven't opened yet.  Cheers. 

• I like it 1

I "liked" the OP's post.  Still do.  

Let he who is without bunker cast the first stone.  

You alright with me, Robert.  If you ever need help drinking that collection, you know where to find me!   

• I like it 1

Thanks Guss, you're a gentleman and a scholar. 

Currently working on finishing a PVW 20, A Jefferson Presidential 21, and a couple bottles of tequila.

• I like it 1

16 minutes ago, redlinerobert said:

Currently working on finishing a PVW 20, A Jefferson Presidential 21, and a couple bottles of tequila.

Now you’re talking. :D

34 minutes ago, redlinerobert said:

DCFan,

Thanks for your response.  It tells me quite a bit about you as a person. 

I find it interesting that you got all of that from a photo.   Are you familiar reflection?  You should look it up from a psychological perspective.  it could help with the hang ups you've so eagerly placed in my thread. 

In the mean time.  I'll continue posting photos of high end bourbon that I haven't opened yet.  Cheers. 

Don't judge us by our worst example.

• I like it 1

No worries.  I kind of like it here. 

2 hours ago, Gorzo said:

Don't judge us by our worst example.

23 minutes ago, redlinerobert said:

No worries.  I kind of like it here. 

All this back-and-forth got me thinking about my "collection".  While I call it a collection, bunker, stash, spares, bottles-in-waiting, etc., it really is like a pile of dirty laundry - stuff I have accumulated but haven't put away yet or cleaned up but I'll be damned if anybody else is going to [wear] ANYthing in the pile because I love every single piece.  AND, as time passes, I'll pick up each piece and cherish it.  Or drink/wear it - whichever happens first.  

• I like it 1

There are plenty of well liked people in this group who have much larger collections consisting of similar high-end limited edition SEALED bottles...but they call them bunkers and people give them virtual high fives fives for having the foresight to get what they could, when they could in case they can’t find it again, or afford it, in the future. People can get a little caught up with semantics...especially since you acknowledge that you will eventually drink them. Color me a little jealous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I like it 2

Welcome, Robert!

A nice collection is nothing to be ashamed of.  I know people that have climate controlled storage units for their bunkers, while I just have a room.  You have good reason to be proud of your collection, as it appears to be very well done!   

And yes, I often enjoy admiring my limited bottles while drinking my standards!  Collecting, and drinking, go hand in hand, but remain two different acts.  As there is obviously a time for both, my hope is that you will soon find more time to reap the rewards of your efforts.  

As for me, I really enjoy drinking good whiskey.  Unfortunately, I just don't seem to quite be able to drink it as fast as I've collected it. 

Oh well, at least we both still have something to look forward too! 

Cheers! 

P

• I like it 2

Robert,

Welcome to SB.  Nice collection, thanks for sharing.   Nothing wrong with having a collection.  You never know when it will be enjoyed.

Will

• I like it 1

On a related note, I plan to drink all of my whiskey, but wonder if I ever really will. Because I certainly seem to be buying at least as much as I am drinking. Does anyone with a sizable collection/bunker/whatever actually think they will finish it or reduce it down to a hand full of bottles at any point in their lifetime?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.