Four Grain Bourbon (Other than EHT)

NYCBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Anyone have any experiences with any of the other four grain bourbons other than EHT? Had a pour of EHT4G today and was very, very impressed (I honestly did not expect to be) but that being said I didn’t like it quite enough to pay full blown secondary prices for it. It did leave me curious about cheaper, more available four grain alternatives by Hudson, Koval, etc. Anyone try any of these other four grain bourbons? How do they stack up compared to the EHT?

I have a bottle of A D Laws Four Grain BIB that is pretty good given its age. It’s probably still too pricey at around $70, but is easier to find than CEHT Four Grain. I’d say the CEHT is better, but I haven’t done a SBS tasting of them yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

glad to hear your review of the EHT 4G. I just won the right to purchase this one. $72.00. pretty much the same price as EHT single barrel. I hope I get the reaction as you did.

4G.jpg.901d3f92b69152f122d0dad65655fc1b.jpg

• I like it 1

Grandpa Weller's Four Grain!  Cheap AND delicious.   [emoji185]

Good point, and I agree wholeheartedly!

I tried the Koval at a LS sampler.  My recollection was that it was definitely a younger tasting whiskey.  Not bad, but not something I'd spend money on.

I've not tried that specific Hudson, but my experience with other Hudson offerings has been similar- definitely lacking years in the barrel.  Just my opinion...

Edited by gurgalunas

1 hour ago, GeeTen said:

Grandpa Weller's Four Grain!  Cheap AND delicious.   :ph34r:

I've been wanting to blend up a batch of this to try for a while now! Just might have to finally bite the bullet and give it a shot!!

I had the Koval 4G and thought it was awful. Koval is near-ish (my wife and I go to Chicago fairly often) so I got a tasting pack of the Bourbon, Rye and 4 Grain, all of which were basically undrinkable and if I recall correctly the 4G was the worst. Very young, hot, raw grain, not much good to say about it. I think I poured it right out and ended up using the Bourbon and Rye for cooking. I got a small bottle of their Gin which was the best of the bunch, unsurprisingly as gin isn't typically aged.

I haven't tried the Hudson 4G but I have had their Rye, and while it is clearly young, hot and grain forward, it's better than most young craft ryes on the market IMO. That's not to say it's good, it's just not terrible. It tasted like it could be rather good at 6 or so years perhaps. What this says about their 4G is anyone's guess.

I don't have any recommendations unfortunately, I haven't had many 4 grain whiskies. I made a 1:1 pour of OWA and Russell's Reserve Single Barrel rye that was 4 grain the other day, that was pretty nice.

Edited by EarthQuake
  • I like it 1

39 minutes ago, Schultz24 said:

What is the recipe for Grandpa Wellers??

Grandpa = ogd114

Weller = wsr

I have not tried that one but I did play around with 4 grain vats for years. The best one I came up with was mmcs, stagg jr, ecbp, and water. Really good. Little more expensive than Gramps W tho. 

What is the recipe for Grandpa Wellers??

Many of us use a ratio of 60% WSR to 40% OGD 114, but others use a 50/50 blend of the two.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • I like it 1

Isn't Little Book a 4 grain whiskey? (I know it's not technically a bourbon, BUT.....I highly doubt it had grain alcohol or colorings added.)

edit:  I'm wrong.  I can't find any indication that it contains wheat.  Nothing to see here.  Move along.

Edited by smthgfshy

I'm partial to Oregon Spirit. Got it from TW for $35ish, but I'm not sure how wide the distribution is.

On 12/12/2017 at 10:36 PM, lcpfratn said:

Many of us use a ratio of 60% WSR to 40% OGD 114, but others use a 50/50 blend of the two.

I'm a 1:1 guy myself!

Grandpa Weller's 4 Grain.jpg

On 12/12/2017 at 4:20 PM, lcpfratn said:

I have a bottle of A D Laws Four Grain BIB that is pretty good given its age. It’s probably still too pricey at around $70, but is easier to find than CEHT Four Grain. I’d say the CEHT is better, but I haven’t done a SBS tasting of them yet.

I happen to love Laws products and I find the BIB and Cask strength to always be quality. I agree that it is a bit pricey but I find their 4 grain to be well balanced. I appreciate that the 4 grain is their flagship offering. It is very hard to find the 4 grain CEHT here in Colorado.

• I like it 1

On 12/12/2017 at 8:36 PM, lcpfratn said:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just wish I could find some WSR... I have W12 and OWA coming out of my nose (and more ODG114 than I know what to do with), but have never been able to find any WSR at a reasonable price.... HELP!!! Lol JK... But seriously.....

Cheers!

While not a mashbill of 4-grains distilled at once; but rather two different 3-grain mashbills, Parker's Heritage from 2012 was a top-ten Bourbon experience for me. 

If you can find one of these (or a pay for a single dram at a high-end tavern) it is worth the chance to taste it.  

IMHO it blows Col EH Taylor 4-Grain away by a mile.     The EHT 4-G is very nice whiskey, especially if you like a sweeter, lighter profile; but, it definitely isn't broad in it's nose or palate, at least to my taste buddies.

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, Bourbon Fanatic said:

I just wish I could find some WSR... I have W12 and OWA coming out of my nose (and more ODG114 than I know what to do with), but have never been able to find any WSR at a reasonable price.... HELP!!! Lol JK... But seriously.....

Cheers!

I might be heading out to Arizona in the next month and can probably help you out. PM me.

49 minutes ago, BamaGrad2005 said:

I might be heading out to Arizona in the next month and can probably help you out. PM me.

I just tried to PM you and it said you cannot receive messages :huh:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.