Four Grain Bourbon (Other than EHT)

NYCBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 12/16/2017 at 8:29 AM, DCFan said:

You have to have 10 posts under your belt in order to PM and you're currently at 7.

Lol ok, thanks! I guess I am more of a "lurker" and am trying to gain knowledge from you guys/gals. This forum is truly a wealth of information.

9 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

I haven't tried this because I like W12 so much by itself that I can't imagine that using it in Grandpa Weller's Four Grain blend would result in something better than W12 by itself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, I figured vatting the W12 might be considered blasphemy by a few... this was a single glass vatting. I may try it again for grins, but will probably keep the W12 reserved for sipping by itself most of the time.

36 minutes ago, BigSkyDrams said:

Yeah, I figured vatting the W12 might be considered blasphemy by a few... this was a single glass vatting. I may try it again for grins, but will probably keep the W12 reserved for sipping by itself most of the time.

Blasphemy be damned if someone wants to blend their $30 whiskey they should go to town, if someone wants to blend their $200 Whiskey go for that as well, blend it with coke for all I care. In my rather limited experience with W12 it seems to be better to me blended with OWA than on it's own. 

• I like it 1

Not blasphemy at all...it's your bourbon, so drink it like you want to drink it. I might try it in a glass as you've done, just to see, but doubt that I'll think it is better than W12 separately.

I'm not a huge fan of WSR by itself. OGD114 is good, but not a daily sipper for me. Blending them together, however, results in a bourbon that is better than the separate parts...at least for me.

• I like it 1

Blasphemy be damned if someone wants to blend their $30 whiskey they should go to town, if someone wants to blend their $200 Whiskey go for that as well, blend it with coke for all I care. In my rather limited experience with W12 it seems to be better to me blended with OWA than on it's own. 

I agree with this statement do what you want with your whiskey. I do think W12 just isn't as good a fit for this blend as the WSR. The W12 wood influence I think would get in the way and WSR is more sweet and goes better with spice and boldness of OGD114.

I need to do another SB blend but last time I felt like I preferred W12 and OWA on there own.
  • I like it 1

41 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Not blasphemy at all...it's your bourbon, so drink it like you want to drink it. I might try it in a glass as you've done, just to see, but doubt that I'll think it is better than W12 separately.

I'm not a huge fan of WSR by itself. OGD114 is good, but not a daily sipper for me. Blending them together, however, results in a bourbon that is better than the separate parts...at least for me.

I wholeheartedly agree on the WSR OGD114 being syergistic together. Neither one does much for me alone, as each is just missing something that prevents it from reaching the next level. The OGD114/W12 blend was good as well, better in fact, but I don’t know if it is the same synergistic result because the W12 is so far superior to the WSR on its own.

45 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

I would blend in a small bottle rather than a glass, and wait a week to give it time to mingle. 

And thanks for the this tip! I mixed them, stirred thoroughly, and let sit on my counter for about an hour before tasting. I do think the different flavors didn’t quite marry, so to speak, as they would with more time resting in a bottle as you’ve suggested.

Edited by BigSkyDrams
  • I like it 1

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 1:48 AM, HoustonNit said:

Surprised no one has mentioned Contradiction. SA does some good stuff. Assume the wheat portion is MGP which I've heard is fantastic even being young.

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 9:41 AM, dcbt said:

I remember it being a mint bomb, not that good at all (Contradiction that is).

The wheated bourbon in Contradiction was their own in house bourbon blended with an MGP rye bourbon. The in house whiskey was still relatively young at the time as I recall which may have given it more of a minty taste. I don't know if there have been more recent batches of Contradiction with older in house bourbon or not.

The wheated bourbon in Contradiction was their own in house bourbon blended with an MGP rye bourbon. The in house whiskey was still relatively young at the time as I recall which may have given it more of a minty taste. I don't know if there have been more recent batches of Contradiction with older in house bourbon or not.

Thanks for posting this much more reluctant to try now. I've heard really good stuff on the MGP wheat bourbon but seems hard to find.

5 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Thanks for posting this much more reluctant to try now. I've heard really good stuff on the MGP wheat bourbon but seems hard to find.

The most readily available version in Atlanta is from ASW and is called "The Fiddler". I tried Batch 1 and it was very young and I did not find it to be particularly enjoyable. But it was finished in little bitty 15 gallon barrels and that didn't help! I have not tried Batch 3 which is just the MGP mashbill from the original barrel and perhaps that would be better.

5 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

The most readily available version in Atlanta is from ASW and is called "The Fiddler". I tried Batch 1 and it was very young and I did not find it to be particularly enjoyable. But it was finished in little bitty 15 gallon barrels and that didn't help! I have not tried Batch 3 which is just the MGP mashbill from the original barrel and perhaps that would be better.

The Redemption Wheated bourbon is still on the shelves here and there in NJ, I thought it was pretty good if not a bit overpriced.

On 12/14/2017 at 6:43 AM, GeeTen said:

I'm a 1:1 guy myself!

Grandpa Weller's 4 Grain.jpg

Ooops - guess I should closely read my own label!  3xWSR:2xOGD114.  I'm suffering from CRS disease more and more lately - don't get old m'boys.  :blink:

• I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...

Recently tried Journeyman Silver Cross Batch 27 bottle 24 that had been open for some time. It's equal parts rye, wheat, corn, barley. Rye is the most dominant feature an it had a heavy pine/tobacco nose that also comes through on the palate and finish. A bit thin otherwise but very smooth. A few drops of water did open it up and temper the rye but the pine/tobacco note still dominates. Not bad and I quite like a strong rye presence even the dill of note LDI based products.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.