Four Grain Bourbon (Other than EHT)

NYCBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

32 minutes ago, BamaGrad2005 said:

I'm not quite sure how to fix that. Any ideas anyone?

More posts.

PHC Master Distiller's Blend of Mashbills (the 6th edition of the PHC lineup which was from 2012 I think). Not exactly one that is readily available but if you happen to be fortunate enough to have some near at hand I find it to be a lovely well aged barrel proof four grain whiskey!

• I like it 2

Having been reading (& posting on) this thread today, I was moved to do a side-by-side with Col. EH Taylor Four Grain and Parker's Heritage 'Blend of Mashbills' (from '12).  

My recollection of both was pretty close to the mark.    The EHT 4G was good Bourbon; but the PH BoM (even watered to approximately equal for the test) was STELLAR.  :P

They weren't particularly close.  

I'm sure not everybody loves the HH typical profile, though I find most of their stuff quite nice, so I'm a bit less than impartial.   Then again, I love nearly everything put out by The Buffalo, too; so, maybe I am....

J. Henry from from Wisconsin is pretty decent, although the Cask Strength is definitely a step above.  Corn, wheat and rye are all grown on their farm.  I think it's coming to Illinois soon, but still limited distribution.

Made my first Grandpa Wellers 4G tonight.  Went about 50-50. It was interesting. Good, but maybe not great. But definitely better than either WSR or OGD114 alone, so I’ll have several more experiments with it ;) ... I feel like something to add more aged character would improve it.

• I like it 1

21 hours ago, BamaGrad2005 said:

I'm not quite sure how to fix that. Any ideas anyone?

You have to have 10 posts under your belt in order to PM and you're currently at 7.

12 hours ago, BigSkyDrams said:

Made my first Grandpa Wellers 4G tonight.  Went about 50-50. It was interesting. Good, but maybe not great. But definitely better than either WSR or OGD114 alone, so I’ll have several more experiments with it ;) ... I feel like something to add more aged character would improve it.

This is on my to do list very soon. I wonder how it would come out with W12 instead of WSR? That could help in the age department.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, NYCBourbon said:

This is on my to do list very soon. I wonder how it would come out with W12 instead of WSR? That could help in the age department.

I bet this would do it. I’m going to give it a try.

• I like it 1

43 minutes ago, BigSkyDrams said:

Report back please!!! 

1 hour ago, beasled said:

4 grain is sooooo last year..

20171215_100943~2.jpg

1 hour ago, beasled said:

4 grain is sooooo last year..

20171215_100943~2.jpg

True, we got it covered on this side of the pond as well!

IMG_20171216_165802308.jpg

• I like it 1

I just wish I could find some WSR... I have W12 and OWA coming out of my nose (and more ODG114 than I know what to do with), but have never been able to find any WSR at a reasonable price.... HELP!!! Lol JK... But seriously.....

Cheers!

This is hilarious. Would be happy to trade some WSR to help you get rid of all that W12.
  • I like it 2

2 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

This is hilarious. Would be happy to trade some WSR to help you get rid of all that W12.

Isn't it funny how distribution is?

IMG_20171216_165802308.thumb.jpg.bd5c7feb05d0cf38dad133230b3eac4a.jpg

Boom! The gauntlet has been thrown down, the gauntlet being a glencairn. Who will come with the 7 grain or perhaps more?
  • I like it 1

Surprised no one has mentioned Contradiction. SA does some good stuff. Assume the wheat portion is MGP which I've heard is fantastic even being young.

Isn't it funny how distribution is?

I've mentioned this before I'm sure it's not the most sold bourbon in Houston, but WSR is likely the most available. Ive often walked into stores where WSR is your only bourbon option or it's the most plentiful on the shelf.
  • I like it 1

22 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

I've mentioned this before I'm sure it's not the most sold bourbon in Houston, but WSR is likely the most available. Ive often walked into stores where WSR is your only bourbon option or it's the most plentiful on the shelf.

Is it good? I've never had it:ph34r:

Is it good? I've never had it[emoji185]

I think it's good for what it's supposed to be, $20 bourbon that you easily find. I think it's bested than standard Maker's Mark and equivalent. I wouldn't pay more than$25 for a fifth and wouldn't hut fir it. Plenty of readily available bourbon in its price range I'd rather have, WT101, BT, etc.

9 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

IMG_20171216_165802308.jpg

Let the "Grains" Race begin. 

USA, USA, USA!  ;-)

7 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Boom! The gauntlet has been thrown down, the gauntlet being a glencairn. Who will come with the 7 grain or perhaps more?

5 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Let the "Grains" Race begin. 

USA, USA, USA!  ;-)

Nah Corsair skipped right over 5, 6, 7, and even 8! http://www.corsairartisan.com/grainiac.html

7 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Surprised no one has mentioned Contradiction. SA does some good stuff. Assume the wheat portion is MGP which I've heard is fantastic even being young.

I remember it being a mint bomb, not that good at all (Contradiction that is).

Edited by dcbt

Jim Beam did a Signature  "Six Grains" a while back overseas.  

"This product is a result of us mingling different Bourbons together. Each were made from a standard Bourbon recipe (high percentage of single grains). For instance, we distilled a high wheat, small grain Bourbon; a high triticale small grain Bourbon; and a high brown rice, small grain Bourbon. Each were barreled separately and then mingled together prior to bottling

Jim Beam Signature has been created by seventh-generation master distiller Fred Noe and is distilled from six grains and aged for six years in hand-selected white oak barrels. Bottled at 44.5%abv it offers a smooth and rich flavour with a silky finish and a pleasant nose of caramel, oak and subtle grain and spice notes"

On 12/16/2017 at 1:12 PM, BigSkyDrams said:

Had it tonight. About 60-40 OGD114. I thought it was really good. My wife even tasted and remarked  that she really liked it, and she’s not a whiskey drinker other than taking sips of mine. It was seriously good. A tiny medicinal/cherry character, but soft wheat sweetness and just enough heat and spice from the high rye OGD. Color me impressed!

Edited by BigSkyDrams

Had it tonight. About 60-40 OGD114. I thought it was really good. My wife even tasted and remarked  that she really liked it, and she’s not a whiskey drinker other than taking sips of mine. It was seriously good. A tiny medicinal/cherry character, but soft wheat sweetness and just enough heat and spice from the high rye OGD. Color me impressed!

I haven't tried this because I like W12 so much by itself that I can't imagine that using it in Grandpa Weller's Four Grain blend would result in something better than W12 by itself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.