Willet 5 year single barrell

Bbstout
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I don't think a 4 year Willet distilled rye was ever released, but I recall reading that it wouldn't necessarily be a yearly event. So it wouldn't be surprising if the next release was a 5 or 6 year.

I believe I saw somewhere that liquor barn in Kentucky was releasing the 5 year this weekend but wasn't sure if it had been released in other markets. I am really looking forward to trying it.

I met someone (friend of friend) who got a 5 year house distilled rye @ the gift shop.

Saw the bottle, but cannot remember if it was single barrel or small batch.

He won't open it to drink though, because he thinks its worth about a million dollars on the black market...*sigh*

• I like it 1

• 5 weeks later...

Three more years before I get interested. That's good news as far as I'm concerned. The last 5 went by like lightning.

• I like it 3

• 5 months later...

Well still have yet to see 5 year however I just bought the first bottle I ever saw of the 4 year in NYC

I've got the 5yo single barrel PS from Lincoln Road Package… it's got its act together. Let me know if you'd like me to SBS it against a known entity.

IMG_9610.thumb.jpg.de2330b00f4f2843372b16ef90565570.jpg

• I like it 4

19 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

I've got the 5yo single barrel PS from Lincoln Road Package… it's got its act together. Let me know if you'd like me to SBS it against a known entity.

What is the mashbill on this; high rye rye or lower? Pikesville would be interesting, close in proof and age.

On 6/28/2018 at 9:37 AM, CUfan99 said:

What is the mashbill on this; high rye rye or lower? Pikesville would be interesting, close in proof and age.

Not sure, but my guess would be the high rye-- as it has a distinct "sense of place" and probably not for everyone. I can put it up against Pikesville plus a few other more wackier rye expressions.

• I like it 1

32 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

Not sure, but my guess would be the high rye-- as it has a distinct "sense of place" and probably not for everyone. I can put it up against Pikesville plus a few other more wackier rye expressions.

Maybe the Russell's Reserve Single Barrel 6?

• I like it 1

Big first round which I narrowed down to four for round two. The HW Rendezvous is a Lincoln Road Package PS finished for 1.5 years in rye barrels-- so it's an interesting one. The Willett 5yo is so delicate, floral and complex-- that this is almost like comparing an agricole to a molasses-based rum.

IMG_9805.thumb.jpg.a35600795c16511bcc30d26b8b2518bf.jpg

IMG_9806.thumb.jpg.55174a7d3ac48e2bec7c9a20d0c0cbe5.jpg

• I like it 1

On 6/30/2018 at 6:12 PM, Marekv8 said:

Big first round which I narrowed down to four for round two. The HW Rendezvous is a Lincoln Road Package PS finished for 1.5 years in rye barrels-- so it's an interesting one. The Willett 5yo is so delicate, floral and complex-- that this is almost like comparing an agricole to a molasses-based rum.

IMG_9806.thumb.jpg.55174a7d3ac48e2bec7c9a20d0c0cbe5.jpg

So was the pair down based on most liked or similarity (I think that's a word)?

4 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

So was the pair down based on most liked or similarity (I think that's a word)?

They each had a distinguishing characteristic that set them apart. Whether I like or dislike something makes no difference, I just want to know what it tastes like.

I tried to get the proofs and ages relatively close, but ryes are all over the road. Open for more suggestions, as long as I have a bottle handy.

20 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

They each had a distinguishing characteristic that set them apart. Whether I like or dislike something makes no difference, I just want to know what it tastes like.

I tried to get the proofs and ages relatively close, but ryes are all over the road. Open for more suggestions, as long as I have a bottle handy.

Looking forward to your side-by-side notes.

I haven't found a single barrel offering in the 4 year range in California, but I did find the Small Batch CASK Strength 4 year release.  126 proof.  $55 retail price.  I'm already a 3rd of the way through the bottle.  I'm very happy with it, but then again, I like the 2 and 3 year offerings, so take my love for it with that in mind.  

IMG_2366.JPG

• I like it 1

On 7/3/2018 at 11:56 AM, mikeydk said:

I haven't found a single barrel offering in the 4 year range in California, but I did find the Small Batch CASK Strength 4 year release.  126 proof.  $55 retail price.  I'm already a 3rd of the way through the bottle.  I'm very happy with it, but then again, I like the 2 and 3 year offerings, so take my love for it with that in mind.  

IMG_2366.JPG

You found that in CA ?

I only ask, because the gift shop was out in April, and I'm really hoping for some distribution in my area.  I really enjoyed the taste I got on the Willett tour.

If they are distributing in CA, there is hope for others...

• I like it 1

58 minutes ago, 0895 said:

You found that in CA ?

I only ask, because the gift shop was out in April, and I'm really hoping for some distribution in my area.  I really enjoyed the taste I got on the Willett tour.

Got it in Arizona.

18 hours ago, 0895 said:

You found that in CA ?

Yes indeed.  Found it at Bitters and Bottles, Total Wine, and The Alchemy Bottle shop.  3 different cities/shops in the SF Bay Area.  

Given the ~50 barrels a day they produce I don't know how they expect (and probably they don't expect it, since they know what they're doing) to be shelf items in the next ten years.

I truly wish they had expanded distillation instead of going into being a hotel destination.

Edited by The Black Tot
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.