ICEBIRG Ice Ball Press

Basil
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Saw a post or an advertisement for this recently and was wondering if anyone has one or has seen one in action:

http://www.icebirgpress.com/

I quit using silicone molds after several that I owned started to smell of chemicals.  I also have owned one or two versions of the ice ball makers that you fill with water and break apart somehow. These tended to produce ice balls that split in half as soon as liquid hit them. Recently I just use bag ice or ice from our automatic ice maker. Luckily, I generally don't use the stuff very much but do entertain on the regular and my friends like bourbon on the rocks or maybe rock....

This product looks to solve all of the problems that I have had in the past trying to get fancy ice at home. It's also pretty dang expensive.

if anyone has one, or gets one during the holidays, I would love to hear your thoughts. 

Freezer space is the issue for me.  Wife likes to cook (and to make her own ice creams and similar frozen treats) and controls the freezer space (which is just fine with me BTW since I love her cooking) so mostly I use ice maker ice.  For "gourmet" ice or chunks, I do have two high end ball-makers and a Rabbit square-cube tray, but neither works when the demand is for lots of ice.  I do find this press thingee intriguing, though, so thanks for the link. 

I have seen one in action before at a local bar. Fun but they are just too damned expensive to buy one for myself. Sounds like I have had better success using the molds for ice balls. Don't think I have ever had one split in half. They do usually leave a rim of sorts where molds meet. I can kind of smooth that out if I really want to get very obsessive about it. The ones that claim to make clear ice spheres seem to make "clearer" spheres but not really completely clear. Big square cubes are also easy enough to make as well.

Fortunately the "beer" refrigerator in the basement leaves adequate freezer space for me! That, and nobody is cooking for me anyway... :(

• 2 weeks later...

I watched some youtube videos and looks like you need a huge block of ice to chip off smaller blocks that go into the press.  I don't typically have large ice blocks lying about in or out of the freezer, so I don't think I'll be in the market for an ice press.  Cool contraption though.

Cool idea (no pun intended) but seems crazy expensive. I watched their videos. He stated that their copper mold/cup "purifies" the water as it freezes. :huh:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.